Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“A Car Rental Apocalypse”

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I usually check several times in the couple weeks before my rental (by trying a Change Reservation) to see if the price has dropped.

Until last weekend, the price hadn't dropped but hadn't gone up either (from my booking months earlier) at SEA this coming week for a 4-day visit.

And then this weekend I thought I might want to extend my stay by about half a day.

But this weekend, when I try to do Change Reservation at Avis, it says "this location is sold out for your selected dates".

And it's not just Avis. I just checked my dates (Tue 14 Jun through Sat 18 Jun) at Orbitz cars, and they only show Dollar and SIXT as having availability, no one else. (They show plenty of other companies for later dates.)

I've never seen this before several days out anywhere. And SEA doesn't seem like a particularly high-demand location in somewhat rainy mid-June, does it?

So I wonder if perhaps the bigger rental agencies moved some cars from SEA to more "high-demand" locations, and didn't realize how that could "backfire"?

Anyway, it does seem that the "Car Rental Apocalypse" is not totally over, it's just morphing into less-obvious problems (like the inability to extend a stay at the last minute).
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:53 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, I usually check several times in the couple weeks before my rental (by trying a Change Reservation) to see if the price has dropped.

Until last weekend, the price hadn't dropped but hadn't gone up either (from my booking months earlier) at SEA this coming week for a 4-day visit.

And then this weekend I thought I might want to extend my stay by about half a day.

But this weekend, when I try to do Change Reservation at Avis, it says "this location is sold out for your selected dates".

And it's not just Avis. I just checked my dates (Tue 14 Jun through Sat 18 Jun) at Orbitz cars, and they only show Dollar and SIXT as having availability, no one else. (They show plenty of other companies for later dates.)

I've never seen this before several days out anywhere. And SEA doesn't seem like a particularly high-demand location in somewhat rainy mid-June, does it?

So I wonder if perhaps the bigger rental agencies moved some cars from SEA to more "high-demand" locations, and didn't realize how that could "backfire"?

Anyway, it does seem that the "Car Rental Apocalypse" is not totally over, it's just morphing into less-obvious problems (like the inability to extend a stay at the last minute).
SEA has been a recurring problem of late. We have been having a lot of trouble finding availability for customers in this area. The "Car Rental Apocalypse" is definitely not over. The patterns have shifted somewhat, and it's (so far) not nearly as bad as last year, but there are areas that literally have had no cars for months--or are priced in nosebleed territory for what little inventory exists.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:55 am

AutoSlash What are you seeing in terms of demand now that the national average is $5/gallon? Has demand dropped at all?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:12 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by m907
AutoSlash What are you seeing in terms of demand now that the national average is $5/gallon? Has demand dropped at all?
We have not seen any discernable drop in demand.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Not sure what to make of the uptick I’ve seen in car rental locations trying to block one-way car rentals, but could it be a product of one or both of the following: one-way rentals being less profitable for the locations, and/or concern that demand is such that the chances of getting more cars to rent from incoming one-way rentals is going to be down?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

preserving their inventory
Old Jul 28, 2022, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by randix
preserving their inventory
Seems some do, even when their lots remain pretty full.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I haven't tried it in America recently, but I did a one-way in Europe last month. No extra charge.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:24 pm
Original Member

One-ways are strategically available (seem pretty available within extended metro areas; also along highway corridors (N. Calif<>S. Calif, intra-Florida). I think it's the more esoteric combinations that pose the problems.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamiel
One-ways are strategically available (seem pretty available within extended metro areas; also along highway corridors (N. Calif<>S. Calif, intra-Florida). I think it's the more esoteric combinations that pose the problems.
I heard about this with regard to rural area regional and surrounding airport car rental facilities for one-way rentals to the likes of ORD and MSP — things that used to be relatively commonly available at the same rental facility pairs without issue in prior periods — and then noticed the change myself.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 12:17 pm

How is the rental situation currently? Looks like we are headed to Seattle for Thanksgiving and we are trying to decide between driving from San Francisco and flying and renting a car. If cars are expensive, or if the chance of landing and not being able to actually get a car, we will probably drive.

4 days is looking like $350-450 in the Budget/ Thrifty camp, and Hertz is over $500

Is renting a car still a blood sport?

Last edited by returnoftheyeti; Oct 22, 2022 at 12:22 pm
Old Oct 22, 2022, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
How is the rental situation currently? Looks like we are headed to Seattle for Thanksgiving and we are trying to decide between driving from San Francisco and flying and renting a car. If cars are expensive, or if the chance of landing and not being able to actually get a car, we will probably drive.

4 days is looking like $350-450 in the Budget/ Thrifty camp, and Hertz is over $500

Is renting a car still a blood sport?
Have you checked all of the various discount codes you might be entitled to use? Wholesale clubs? Membership organizations? Your college's or university's rates if alumni are permitted to use them? Does your employer have rental-car contracts that employees may use for leisure rentals?
Old Oct 22, 2022, 2:06 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
And do get a quote from www.autoslash.com/quote
Old Oct 22, 2022, 5:16 pm

That's a lot of driving. Have you priced out one-way car and the other way flight? There might be seasonal repositioning specials right now, probably driving south.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
These insane rates continue! I can't believe how long they are staying high. >$2,000 for monthly rentals in the NYC area... used to be 1/3 of that. When are these prices gonna come down?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.