Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Survey: 12% of Renters Believe Vehicle Damaged Before Pickup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2021, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

https://www.autorentalnews.com/10138...Rental+News%29
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
In the triad of business travel — flight, hotel, ground transport — I gave upon rental cars years ago and switched to ride shares. Gouge pricing, cons like the ones mentioned in the article, and lackluster customer service.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 5:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, PC Spire, Amex Reserve, Hilton Gold
Many airport locations in North America are or have moved to parking garages where the lighting is bad, and/or it is so cold the illumination cannot ever get to full intended brightness. One cannot see the damage, especially at night.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: NWA, Delta, Continental
It's not hard folks. Take photos of the rental at pickup from every angle including shots of the roof. We've never had a problem with the company later trying to assess us for damage.
Auto Enthusiast and am1108 like this.

Last edited by pulokk1; Mar 13, 2021 at 10:32 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 13, 2021, 7:25 pm

Other than that, I would do a video including plate/VIN number, gas and mileage as well. Make sure the mileage is the same reading as the contract.
This applies to international travel or locations that I'm not familiar with...
Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
The problem is that most renters are uninformed or misled. You can't rely on the gate agent who is trying to provide speedy service to personally check and write a paragraph of the damages for your rental much less for many customers. You, as the renter, are signing a legally binding contract when you rent that effectively states the vehicle is under your care during the rental. You should check the vehicle and at least take pictures and fill out your own inspection forms for the agent to just verify and sign. This would cut down on the long wait times if the majority of the people filled out their own forms and had their stuff together by the time they exit. I have seen it while exiting where one fool asks the agent a bunch of questions and then walks around with the agent to record every ding. It takes 5 minutes for that transaction and the fools behind him wash, rinse & repeat the process prolonging the pain of exiting. I don't even move the car before checking (or taking pictures of) the exterior, interior and then setting my destination on my phone, bluetooth, etc. before driving to the gate.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 5:21 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
the staff handling the car returns are given targets to spot a certain amount of damage.
I have collected cars at some small outlets where i've been waiting to be served and seen the previous renter arrive and drop off the keys - so there was zero chance of any inspection.
Taking photos has not always helped me, hertz told me I signed the contract and charged me regardless. In fact i had the same car for two rentals with a few days gap between and recognized the damage from the first rental (where it was not recorded at the start and I wasn't charged when I returned it the first time). When I returned the car the second time I was charged even though I recognized the damage from the first time I rented the car. The difference was WHERE i returned the car - the second location probably had people more concerned about reaching their damage inspection target.
I don't rent from Hertz anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.