Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fake ID Rental Car

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2020, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Fake ID Rental Car

I live in Maryland and have a MD license, I found last week that someone had used a fake ID with my name and address to rent cars. This person rented cars from various airports in the NJ/PA area. I had filed a police report as soon as I was contacted by Enterprise. Enterprise understood someone had used a fake ID. Tuesday I received a letter from Hertz of the same thing someone rented a car and did not return it. I emailed Hertz and been trying to get in touch with someone at Hertz but have been unlucky so far. What I have learned in this process is that a rental car company doesn't check if a ID is real with any DMV system, they just check to see if the ID can scan and make of copy of it. Any suggestions on what else I can do?
Old Nov 20, 2020, 5:13 am

Well, that's exciting! No, the rental car companies don't verify ID against a DMV database... I'm not sure it's even technically possible for them to do so, especially when you factor in foreign driver's licenses. But that's the least of your concerns.

I have some experience in this, so here's where I would start: First, document EVERYTHING! This is a big deal, but it's also common enough that there are processes in place to help you unwind it all.

You need to figure out is how far this person has gone in taking over your identity, especially now that there's a missing car involved. If possible, you'll want to talk to the manager at the Hertz location where the car was rented. I would also amend your original, or file a second police report to note the the Hertz rental. When you do that, ask your local PD if it would behoove you to file a report with the police in the city where the unreturned Hertz car was rented. Get something IN WRITING from both Hertz and Enterprise that indicates their agreement that you're not responsible.

If you haven't already, pull all three of your credit reports and your ChexSystems report and put fraud alerts on all of them. You may even consider freezing them. It's possible they're using your identity to do more than just rent cars.

Congratulations on your new hobby. Hopefully you'll get it resolved quickly
BugsyPal and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First thing is to freeze credit with all three major CRA's. That at least should stop the damage from expanding to new items.

A good chance that if the fraudster had a fake ID, they also used it to obtain a credit card and other documentation in your name. Thus, tracking all of this down is important.

Hopefully you have identity theft insurance, either as a standalone (preferable) or as a throwaway with a credit card or some other policy. This can be helpful in defraying losses and, in most instances in getting the work done.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 11:36 am

Ditto to everything that has been stated already!

You need to not only have fraud alerts placed with all three credit reporting agencies and Chex Systems, but also get copies of your reports.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

If they are renting vehicles under your name it stands to reason they also have credit cards that match name on drivers license. Thus you most certainly have major ID theft going on... Oh and you need to contact your local state DMV to let them know what is going on and perhaps check your license record.

Oh and you need to contact local LE and file a report of identity theft, or see what they advise.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 11:41 am

P.S.

Fraud against car rental places happens all the time.... It was on reason why Hertz on Demand finally shut things down. Thieves kept renting vehicles with fake/stolen CC and ID then never returning car....

https://www.autorentalnews.com/15308...and-car-rental

https://www.acuant.com/blog/fake-ids...l-rental-cars/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.