Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pre-Existing Chip on Windshield is now an 8" crack. How should I handle it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:50 am
Original Poster

I picked up a rental car from my local Enterprise yesterday. The car had a pre-exisitng chip on the front windshield [it's documented in the contract]. I am a regular at that facility & they know me well. It was raining, when I went to pick up the car. So, they skipped the inspection. I have driven it less than 10 miles within town. I was sitting in the grocery store parking lot & right before my eyes, the chip first widened to 2" & then an 8" crack, all within an hour. It sounds unbelievable but I have something similar happened to my personal car 10 years back. I had a chip in my car that I ignored for several months & then out of nowhere, boom in under 48 hours, I had a crack that ran the entire length of my windshield. The facility is closed today. I have to return the car tomorrow. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures from when I picked it up. I did take pictures of the windshield when it became a 4" & then an 8" crack.
I don't want my insurance [through Chase Sapphire credit card] or myself to pay for what I believe to be poor maintenance on their part. How should I approach this issue with the facility?
Old Mar 8, 2020, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Stuff happens. This is what the CC coverage is for. Let Chase deal with it and fight with Enterprise if it wishes to. The debate about whether you are responsible for what became a larger problem than when you picked up the vehicle is not worth the effort and your time has a value.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:23 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Often1
Stuff happens. This is what the CC coverage is for. Let Chase deal with it and fight with Enterprise if it wishes to.
If only it were that easy. Chase requires that you pay for the damage yourself and then file reams of paperwork required by their insurer. OP, I hope that Enterprise takes responsibility for this. Please let us know.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

SanDiego1K Precisely. I believe Often1 was trying to be helpful here. But, how do I save time if I end up spending that time dealing with Chase. AutoSlash Do you have anything to say?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:06 am

It's fairly common knowledge that windshield chips can, and often do, "spiderweb" into larger cracks. The folks at Enterprise should be aware of this. It's possible things have changed, but many years ago when I worked for Enterprise, we were not allowed to put a car on the road if we knew it had a chipped windshield. If indeed the chip was already noted on your contract when you checked out the vehicle, I wouldn't think you'd be in for much of a fight. Escalate to a manager if need be, and make sure you have something in writing before you leave that indicated Enterprise will pay for the repairs.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
If only it were that easy. Chase requires that you pay for the damage yourself and then file reams of paperwork required by their insurer. OP, I hope that Enterprise takes responsibility for this. Please let us know.
Really? I thought that you could just submit the rental company's bill or repair estimate with the rest of the paperwork required to perfect your insurance claim with Chase's insurer, and the insurer would just pay the rental company directly.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
Really? I thought that you could just submit the rental company's bill or repair estimate with the rest of the paperwork required to perfect your insurance claim with Chase's insurer, and the insurer would just pay the rental company directly.
That's all I had to do last year after my Enterprise rental was scraped to the tune of $1200. Pretty painless.
Often1 and sanmandude like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I was surprised by this as well.

I suppose that there are claims where asking additional questions is worthwhile and there is a reason, but for minor stuff, 90% of the benefit of insurance is not the coverage but the (lack of) hassle factor.
sanmandude likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Update- Thanks for everyone's input. The Enterprise manager there is wonderful & assured me they will take care of it & bear the cost.
Auto Enthusiast and sdsearch like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.