Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Total loss for wrong fuel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:23 am

I would simply reply and state that you did not put gas in it, that you did not state that you put gas in it, and that you are not the customer in question. I had Sixt try this on me, I told them to back off with their lies, and never heard from them again.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by m907
In most places the diesel dispenser is a different size than the gas dispenser to prevent mixups, so you would remember if you had difficulty getting the hose to fit in the tank.
In the US, diesel nozzles have a larger diameter than gas nozzles, which makes it basically impossible to accidentally put diesel fuel in a gas vehicle. However, the reverse is definitely possible and putting a gas nozzle into a diesel car would not be difficult at all.

To the OP, I'd suggest you file a claim with your insurance company and give them your side of the story. Assuming you have Comprehensive (aka Other than Collision or OTC) on your policy, this should be a covered loss, and I suspect they'd probably just pay out. It's possible they'll conduct a cursory investigation to see if anything fishy is going on with the rental car company, but these types of issues can be difficult to defend successfully.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:44 am
Original Poster

I went on google earth to find the gas station to verify my memory and the first thing that pops up is the exact pump I used. You can easily tell, not only is the diesel button colored green but the hose itself is green as well as the diesel price on the price board, I have a very vivid memory and I know for a fact I stood at this exact pump as I looked at Advantage across the street and after matching and checking the green diesel #2 button I grabbed the hose on the left side of the pump and hit the green button (diesel #2), my girlfriend is 100% sure as well.

For anyone interested just google “Arco Inglewood, CA” there are only two results and it is the 2nd one.

Looking at a recent picture of the gas prices at this location diesel has a .35 cent difference from gas (the month before I filled up). I put in exactly $37.76 which would be 9.7 gallons of diesel or 10.6 gallons of gas, so unfortunately not a huge difference. I am 100% certain I put diesel in the tank, and unless Viking can retrieve actual proof that the tank was filled with gas, a fuel sample, an incident report detailing the issues encountered that lead them to bring it to Volvo, a diagnosis from Volvo detailing what lead to the supposed breakdown, anything other than "this is what an Advantage employee said" I see very little proof of their claim other then what an employee states and will most certainly take legal action to defend myself.

As you guys stated it is very odd they even brought a Volkswagen to a Volvo dealership for an estimate/repairs in the first place. Even the damage report filled out by the Advantage employee has absolutely nothing filled out except a hand written note saying "16: Customer put gas in diesel tank" and due to the numerous errors in the paperwork including Volvo writing in "customer states he put gas in a diesel engine" and listing some guy named Matt from Advantage as the customer as well as numerous missing pieces of evidence to support their claims I don't think they will have very much of a case.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
While this completely sounds like one of the games these third-tier rental agencies play, this one seems to have so many inconsistencies that it may be sheer incompetence more than a well-coordinated scam.

There very well may be another guy who rented a Volvo, put gasoline in it, admitted it, and that screwed up the fuel system.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by MADPhil
The comment in their paperwork that "customer states he put gas in diesal engine, inspect and advise." would also appear to be an error.
In this case, it looks like “customer” refers to the dealership’s customer (which is the rental company rep), not the rental company’s customer that rented the car. I’m guessing Mike from Advantage told the dealer service advisor that gasoline was put in the diesel tank, which led to the note on the estimate.

Originally Posted by swingaling
In the US, diesel nozzles have a larger diameter than gas nozzles, which makes it basically impossible to accidentally put diesel fuel in a gas vehicle. However, the reverse is definitely possible and putting a gas nozzle into a diesel car would not be difficult at all.

To the OP, I'd suggest you file a claim with your insurance company and give them your side of the story. Assuming you have Comprehensive (aka Other than Collision or OTC) on your policy, this should be a covered loss, and I suspect they'd probably just pay out. It's possible they'll conduct a cursory investigation to see if anything fishy is going on with the rental car company, but these types of issues can be difficult to defend successfully.
I don't think I’d go that route - your insurance company might pay it because it’s cheaper than a fight, but penalize you on your insurance premium for making the claim. I’d recommend leaving your own insurance out of it unless you absolutely have to pay the damages.

And I’ll echo the sentiment that the invoice from Volvo for a VW car is suspicious, especially since I can’t recall when Volvo last sold diesel cars in the U.S. (if ever).

Last edited by strickerj; Jul 17, 2019 at 10:38 am
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
What exactly happens when you mix the two? Does the car not run immediately? Or what?

He drove it over to Advantage, they drove it away from the car drop, it wasn't until 5 days later they decided something was wrong.

I'm keeping all my receipts forever from now on, thanks for the tip. And speaking of that, I have NEVER had the car rental guys TAKE the gas receipt - they often don't even look at it, but if they do they never take it, if they tried I'd say "I need it to reconcile my credit card statement".
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Sounds shady and/or a mixup. I'd contact a lawyer, a few hundred dollars for one of those is cheaper than your insurance premiums going up (which they probably would even if they determined it was a mixup because your ins. won't even look at it without opening a claim).

But what a mess, I feel for you that you will probably be out more than the rental itself because of their mixup defending yourself.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Read your insurance policy carefully. Some require that you notify the carrier within a limited period of time. If you blow that deadline, you lose your claim. This is a large enough amount that you don't want to be left owing $13K if you are ultimately found liable.

2. Respond with a short and simple letter. Skip the legalese, certified mail, and other things that flag you as a rookie. All you need is:
A. Filled it with diesel. Double-checked.
B. Did not add any gasoline. Double-checked.
C. Provided the receipt at return, so easily verified.
D. Please end the claim & notify me.

If that does not work turn it over to your insurer and notify your lawyer.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: SPG
Exclamation No Phone

Originally Posted by garth.suhr
I also called Viking back and left a voicemail asking why there was no diagnosis actually done, no finding by the service advisor, no fuel samples to prove what they said was true just basically a comment saying this is what they said and she has yet to call me back.
Do not conduct any inquires or correspondence over the phone. Everything must be written and documented, go to the Post Office and send via certified mail with return receipt request, to Viking.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by strickerj

In this case, it looks like “customer” refers to the dealership’s customer (which is the rental company rep), not the rental company’s customer that rented the car. I’m guessing Mike from Advantage told the dealer service advisor that gasoline was put in the diesel tank, which led to the note on the estimate.

I don't think I’d go that route - your insurance company might pay it because it’s cheaper than a fight, but penalize you on your insurance premium for making the claim. I’d recommend leaving your own insurance out of it unless you absolutely have to pay the damages.

And I’ll echo the sentiment that the invoice from Volvo for a VW car is suspicious, especially since I can’t recall when Volvo last sold diesel cars in the U.S. (if ever).
Wouldn't the insurance company require you to report the incident promptly if they're going to cover it?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by wds17
Do not conduct any inquires or correspondence over the phone. Everything must be written and documented, go to the Post Office and send via certified mail with return receipt request, to Viking.
THIS!!!!!!!

People spend so much time with phone calls and 'trying to work it out'...in the end, all they have is THEIR 'story'...nothing documented...and it is month down the road and they are SOL

OP, hopefully you have coverage under your CC. YOU NEED TO GET ADULTS INVOLVED. CC company or even a lawyer.

I would try and leverage the CC company into getting a SPECIFIC copy of the receipt for that transaction. They have the power to do that.

These guys can ignore you, then drop the hammer on you with unpaid bills and ruin your credit- send it to collections. You think they are gonna 'take legal action'??? They dont need to, They will just bill you.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Report this to your insurance company - do NOT deal directly with the rental company or their claim representatives.

I owned an insurance agency for 40+ years - your insurance company knows how to deal with this, they will not simply give in because it is cheaper, and if they can't win the argument, they can settle a lower payment which they will pay for.

You would only see your rates increase if your company has to make the payment on your behalf. Insurance companies have a lot of experience dealing with car rental agencies and know how to handle this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The smart move is somewhere inbetween.

Phone calls are 100% the way to go. Until you reach a resolution. Whether it is good or bad, that is something you confirm in writing. Billion dollar negotiations are handled this way and no reason to play amateur lawyer when you aren't one.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:02 pm

There is no way they would take a VW to a Volvo dealer (and most Volvo dealers would not even want to work on a VW). From everything you have described, it sounds like this is a completely different car. Someone rented a Volvo and accidentally put diesel in it. Definitely demand to see the receipt from the repair shop: it should have the VIN number, which would start with a W (Germany)or 9 (Brazil) for a VW Jetta wagon, or a 3 (Mexico) for a regular Jetta sedan. If the VIN starts with Y, it was made in Sweden (and is definitely not a VW).
AutoSlash, strickerj and m907 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
As it’s a 2014 model I would suspect it would be fitted with a mis fuelling device.

Its physically possible to fill a diesel with petrol as the petrol nozzle is narrower than the inlet but cars have been fitted with Mis fuelling caps for a while now. You could probably check Jetta specs for your country online to see if diesel models from that year come with them as standard.

Also 50% petrol and 50% diesel really isn’t going to cause that sort of failure in a diesel car, siphon the tank empty, fill it with full tank of diesel and it would be fine.The other way round you’d probably have a write off on your hands after a few miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.