Search

Does anyone use Orbitz for car rentals?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services
Does anyone use Orbitz for car rentals?

Is Orbitz relevant these days?

I use Orbitz to compare car rental rates when I'm flying into a particular city on a specific date. Then, once I figure out who has, what appears to be the least expensive rate, I go directly to that website (but visit a second or third specific car rental website, as well). I don't use Orbitz to make a rental car reservation.

Back-story: I used to use Hertz exclusively, but no longer. Hertz's rates can be way over the top in certain cities. And, when I think of all the car rental companies that I've used, Hertz seems to be the most efficient in getting you out (but that's likely because I was in the President's Circle and now, Gold, which is fine). I use Alamo a lot, but their algorithm at the self-service kiosk seems 1990's antiquated - it is s-l-o-w and clunky. I like Budget, but it's never quick to get off their lot. Same with Avis. I tried the "after-market" :-) rental car companies (Sixt, Fox), but good grief - the desk service has been a nightmare!
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:50 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Orbitz is owned by Expedia now as is Travelocity. If you go to Orbitz (or Travelocity) you'll see that those sites look almost identical to Expedia. Basically they have a slightly different design but have the same "engine" powering them and generally the same (or very similar) pricing.

So to answer your question, Orbitz and Travelocity are not any more or less relevant than Expedia. Note that Expedia also owns CarRentals.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com and a host of other sites.

Expedia is one of the largest OTAs (online travel agencies) in the world, with the other being Priceline (now officially known as "Booking Group").

Priceline owns Booking.com, Agoda.com, Rentalcars.com, Kayak, etc. Confused yet?

To answer the gist of your original question, it pays to shop around for car rentals as prices can vary. Avoid rates that require you to pay up-front and don't allow for free cancellation as rates often drop as the pickup date approaches. AutoSlash offers a free tracking service to let you know when this happens so you can re-book and save. AutoSlash also can provide you with a discounted rate quote taking into account any discounts you qualify for like AAA. Costco, USAA, etc.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Mar 12, 2020 at 5:36 am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:47 am

I'm of the opinion that online travel agencies (OTAs) like Orbitz are relevant because their customers believe their advertisements. They seem to have convinced the occasional traveler that booking through an OTA is wise. But, most savvy travelers know that booking directly is often the same price.

Unless you get a massive discount, involving a middleperson between you and the company providing a service isn't particularly smart unless that middleperson is well-trained.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I'm of the opinion that online travel agencies (OTAs) like Orbitz are relevant because their customers believe their advertisements. They seem to have convinced the occasional traveler that booking through an OTA is wise. But, most savvy travelers know that booking directly is often the same price.

Unless you get a massive discount, involving a middleperson between you and the company providing a service isn't particularly smart unless that middleperson is well-trained.
Middleperson?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.