Community
Wiki Posts
Search

unlimited EZpass $9.99/day+tax ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:01 am
Original Poster

unlimited EZpass $9.99/day+tax ?

I was picking up free one-way to FL rental yesterday at BOS Advantage counter. I really didn't have time to research this further, but maybe someone already used (or can come up with exact answers) about any possible restrictions (?)

Brief conversation at the counter was: she says why not get our unlimited EZpass for $39 (that's because I had 4 day rental, so $9.99x4 days). I always decline all optional offers, so I immediately say "but my cost to FL with my own device would only be under $30; and I don't believe your EZpass works inside FL, cuz FL has SunPass". She wasn't sure about FL; but her counter-argument was that I can't really deploy my own transponder without calling the EZpass customer service and adding RENTAL CAR'S plate to my account...Here is what I think their little scheme is at BOS: the outgoing I-90 West is equipped with electronic readers overhead. Cars without proper EZpass will be billed (not much, it's all in under-$1 increments) to car's plate by mail. But here is where CAR RENTAL COMPANIES make $$: they charge YOUR CREDIT CARD ON FILE administrative fee (like $15) for each of those bills!! Now, with your own transponder, correct me if I'm wrong: your call to add a plate to your account may or MAY NOT help, cuz once I was told by EZpass that information may only be refreshed overnight - NOT INSTANTLY. Anyone has specific answer on this?

Second part of this topic is: well, if my rental were only 2 days (so total cost were $9.99x2 +tax) - then the deal may be sweet, depending on geographical area covered. Only Advantage offers this? (I'd never deal with this mickey mouse rental co, if it were not a free rental to FL) Anyone has any details on unlimited EZpass programs?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:21 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Can't comment on everything, but I have an EZPass from NJ that I use for all rentals. As soon as I get in my car (in a state w tolls), I login to their website, add the car and go. It refreshes in my profile immediately.

Also note that even if the box in the windshield is closed, I've had rental car transponders bill me. So I just rip the box off the windshield and put it in the glove box or floor.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Can't comment on everything, but I have an EZPass from NJ that I use for all rentals. As soon as I get in my car (in a state w tolls), I login to their website, add the car and go. It refreshes in my profile immediately.

Also note that even if the box in the windshield is closed, I've had rental car transponders bill me. So I just rip the box off the windshield and put it in the glove box or floor.
I've been told by the E-Z Pass New York Service Center that you cannot add a rental car to your personal transponder if the rental car already has a transponder registered to it. I've been advised to just put up my own transponder in the rental car.

When possible, on the first use of my transponder on a given rental, I try to go through a staffed cash-or-EZ Pass lane just to make sure that my transponder is working. Admittedly, that's getting tougher to do with the proliferation of cashless toll facilities that use overhead gantries.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:59 am

I think you'll be fine as long as your ez pass tag is detected by the overhead sensor.

However, if that fails there's always a chance (even if your account is updated) that the bill will make its way to the rental agency. If that happens, you'll need to fight your case. Since there multiple parties involved, it can be quite a drag. Be sure to have some kind of proof (photo/video) of using your ez pass tag. Hopefully, you won't need it. Good luck!

I'm also curious how you found a free one-way rental to Florida.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Well, out of BOS, a free driveaway is not a huge deal...I still had to go to Boston (thank goodness for Chinatown buses) and drive back.

My query is chiefly about "unlimitedness" of the offer, and what other rental co's offer it. With all kinds of $8-15 bridges/tunnels around NYC, that $9.99/day could be epic
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:02 pm

Generally, tolls are added on top of the daily fee. Are you saying that the "unlimited" plan is all-inclusive that includes any tolls you incur? I couldn't find any information on this online. I don't see how they can make money with this in the NY area. Maybe there's a catch (a daily limit, geo restriction, etc).
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sorab
Generally, tolls are added on top of the daily fee. Are you saying that the "unlimited" plan is all-inclusive that includes any tolls you incur? I couldn't find any information on this online. I don't see how they can make money with this in the NY area. Maybe there's a catch (a daily limit, geo restriction, etc).
I never heard of such lump-sum UNLIMITED USAGE offer, but was offered at Advantage counter at BOS yesterday. She made it sound like $9.99/day+tax covered all your tolls during rental, using their EZPASS transponder. I only remarked that EZPASS doesn't work in FL, where there is SunPass collection. She had no clue about that, but looked despondent when I said that tolls all the way before FL are actually way less than $39 ($9.99x4day rental) she was offering me. Then she proceeded to tell me that she was merely trying to save me from an issue, because "you can no longer just stick your own device up on windshield and go! you NOW must first call your EZPASS and have them add the new plate to your own transponder" (BTW, she scared me enough on that point -so I proceeded to look for no-toll roads out of BOS - which was no easy feat frankly...Anyone?)

The main purpose of this thread is to find out whether there is any distinction with EZPASS MA (as opposed to EZPASS NY) policies (including overnight refresh of new subscriptions/changes), whether there is anything special in reference to those overhead readers on I-90 coming out of BOS, and whether other rental co's ever offered this at BOS and especially at OTHER AIPPORTS. Rental co's administrative penalties may exceed some (overhead electronic toll amounts of literally cents) as such - by an astronomical multiple!!

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Dec 16, 2017 at 3:04 pm
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:54 pm

I did some more research and it seems what they offered you must've been a PlatePass tag. It appears Advantage, Dollar & Thrifty participate in PlatePass's All-inclusive option, in which you pay a flat daily fee that covers all your tolls. They offer it only in select locations, so it quite likely they don't offer it anywhere near NYC. They do seem to offer it in Florida.

PlatePass uses a transponder here in the Northeast, but relies on imaging/video in other places (including Florida). Since its a PlatePass All-inclusive plan (not ez pass), it should work in Florida (Sunpass) as well. Here's some information on how it works
https://www.platepass.com/Dollar.html
https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar
https://platepass.com/locations/faq/...ng-to-florida/
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sorab
I did some more research and it seems what they offered you must've been a PlatePass tag. It appears Advantage, Dollar & Thrifty participate in PlatePass's All-inclusive option, in which you pay a flat daily fee that covers all your tolls. They offer it only in select locations, so it quite likely they don't offer it anywhere near NYC. They do seem to offer it in Florida.

PlatePass uses a transponder here in the Northeast, but relies on imaging/video in other places (including Florida). Since its a PlatePass All-inclusive plan (not ez pass), it should work in Florida (Sunpass) as well. Here's some information on how it works
https://www.platepass.com/Dollar.html
https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar
https://platepass.com/locations/faq/...ng-to-florida/
any link on flat daily fee?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
any link on flat daily fee?
The first link says "For a flat daily or weekly fee, all tolls are covered during your rental period". However, it doesn't say how much the daily/weekly fee is. Maybe it differs based on the pickup location.

I went through the reservation process on dollar.com and noticed an option for PlatePass (rental @MCO). It says "Electronic Tollways mean no cash accepted. Select this option for the perfect solution. $10.49 Per Day". Then, I tried a rental @ BOS and noticed the same option with a different rate "Prepay your tolls to expedite your trip. $11.99 Per Day". There's a link for more information which says "PlatePass® gives your Dollar rental vehicle unlimited 24-hour toll usage for a low daily rate".
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I saw this option for a recent rental from Dollar in the DC area (I think IAD but maybe DCA, I forget).

I declined since I only planned a few $1 tolls over the 4 day rental, but it struck me that it could be a nice deal for some - with the Express lanes on the Beltway regularly over $10, it's not hard to run up $20-30/day on an EZ Pass.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Dollar and Thrifty offer this in some locations - https://www.thrifty.com/TravelCenter...PlatePass.aspx

In San Francisco it's $12/day or $60/week (per rental day, not per day that you use tolls). AFAIK the only two options are all-inclusive, or nothing - and with the nothing option they charge you an admin fee of $15/toll.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert
Dollar and Thrifty offer this in some locations - https://www.thrifty.com/TravelCenter...PlatePass.aspx

In San Francisco it's $12/day or $60/week (per rental day, not per day that you use tolls). AFAIK the only two options are all-inclusive, or nothing - and with the nothing option they charge you an admin fee of $15/toll.
TY for posting the link. Is it possible that the most important piece of info in your entire link is its opening question: "Driving local?" I'm wondering then: when I was offered $9.99 purchase at BOS counter, did that contract include all tolls I could incur in the next 24h not only in MA but (chiefly) around NYC and then NJ, DE, MD, DC, VA and finally FL. Cuz let me tell you: I could rack up 50-100 bucks of tolls if I wanted to use all NYC bridges/tunnels and Express lanes in MD and VA next 24h
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I have used EZPass in NY/NE for at least a decade and travel to FL frequently enough that I bought a SunPass in 2016 and opened an account. They have a couple of models available. One you can move from car to car (a $20 one time purchase fee) and another one that you can't remove from a windshield and move to another car ($5). Obviously all of the tolls get billed on top of the one time fee. Once I had the transponder I opened a SunPass account, tied it to a credit card and there is an app that you can use on a smartphone that allows you to add license plates and even allows you to specify what period you want to cover. I always go in at the end of the trip and delete the rental car/plate. I just need to remember to bring the transponder with me.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
I have used EZPass in NY/NE for at least a decade and travel to FL frequently enough that I bought a SunPass in 2016 and opened an account. They have a couple of models available. One you can move from car to car (a $20 one time purchase fee) and another one that you can't remove from a windshield and move to another car ($5). Obviously all of the tolls get billed on top of the one time fee. Once I had the transponder I opened a SunPass account, tied it to a credit card and there is an app that you can use on a smartphone that allows you to add license plates and even allows you to specify what period you want to cover. I always go in at the end of the trip and delete the rental car/plate. I just need to remember to bring the transponder with me.
NY EZpass-on-the-go transponder sells for $30, but the entire $30 is your usable toll credit. Is FL $20 wasted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.