Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dollar price discrepancy, do they have to honor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Booked a car 5 days ago, today I just did go to Dollar Website did online booking check and find out price is $50 more than my E-mail booking quote, check detail looks like $50 difference comes from facility charge and licensing fee( it's Dollar's IT System Glitch I guess...... the reservation confirmation E-mail I received facility charge and licensing fee is total $20.24 for 11 days, which is unusually low for Airport rental) so in this case Do they have to honor?

Thanks!

Update: I complain to BBB, no result, Dollar just state it's subject to change, BBB even give "resolved"..... so don't believe BBB "A+" it means nothing

I complain to Dollar Facebook team, after 2 month they even send Email to ask "Car Trawler" still can't find reason, finally agreed refund difference after my rental completed....I received my refund after I messenger them completed the rental

Anyway I probably won't use Dollar in future, I have send few Emails to Hertz/Dollar complain about this, all they do is just pretend not seeing it and not reply my Email at all.

Last edited by ecgz88; Jan 16, 2018 at 10:15 pm
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:25 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

I don't know about have to honor it but if the original quote came from Dollar directly and it didn't include all the taxes and fees, then you have a decent shot at getting them to honor the originally quoted price. You will probably have to be persistent though to get them to own up to it.

Keep in mind that while you can ask for an adjustment at the rental counter, the agents there are probably going to shrug and just say the price in the computer is the price they have to charge you. You can protest, and they may be able to make some sort of adjustment manually, but don't count on that.

Your likely avenue of resolution is to contact Dollar customers support via email after the rental is completed and explain that the amount you were charged does not match the amount you were originally quoted. Be prepared with a screenshot of the original email to provide as documentation.

Good luck!
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Never image Dollar customer service was this bad......It amaze me after I complain to BBB back and forth for 1 month, Dollar finally give this reply:"A review of our records indicates the mandatory taxes and fees have changed for this location and there is now a Customer Facility Charge of $4.00 per day for all rentals."............And 6 weeks have already passed, during this period I have send Emails to Hertz/Dollar/Dollar Facebook team, no Email reply at all.

I guess I will have to rental first, then later dispute with my CC , so just write sign in my CC receipt I don't accept this charge?

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
I don't know about have to honor it but if the original quote came from Dollar directly and it didn't include all the taxes and fees, then you have a decent shot at getting them to honor the originally quoted price. You will probably have to be persistent though to get them to own up to it.

Keep in mind that while you can ask for an adjustment at the rental counter, the agents there are probably going to shrug and just say the price in the computer is the price they have to charge you. You can protest, and they may be able to make some sort of adjustment manually, but don't count on that.

Your likely avenue of resolution is to contact Dollar customers support via email after the rental is completed and explain that the amount you were charged does not match the amount you were originally quoted. Be prepared with a screenshot of the original email to provide as documentation.

Good luck!

Last edited by ecgz88; Jan 16, 2018 at 10:16 pm
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:13 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

If the CFC was actually instituted after the booking was made and this was in fact a case of a new or increased tax, then Dollar is under no obligation to honor the original price. The only thing that is guaranteed is the base rate.

If a local municipality institutes a new tax (or increases an existing one) between the time you reserved and the time you picked up the car (which happens since you can book more than a year in advance), then the rental company is obligated to collect and remit the new amount to the local municipality. They are not going to take a loss on it, just because you happened to book when the taxes were lower, hence they will pass along the additional tax to you. It's not a website glitch in this case, since they didn't know the taxes would increase. It's in their terms and conditions, so you don't really have much of a leg to stand on here unfortunately.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:55 am

If the CFC was actually instituted after the booking was made and this was in fact a case of a new or increased tax, then Dollar is under no obligation to honor the original price. The only thing that is guaranteed is the base rate.

If a local municipality institutes a new tax (or increases an existing one) between the time you reserved and the time you picked up the car (which happens since you can book more than a year in advance), then the rental company is obligated to collect and remit the new amount to the local municipality. They are not going to take a loss on it, just because you happened to book when the taxes were lower, hence they will pass along the additional tax to you. It's not a website glitch in this case, since they didn't know the taxes would increase. It's in their terms and conditions, so you don't really have much of a leg to stand on here unfortunately.
Exactly, taxes and fees imposed by government entities are not guaranteed, only rates and fees the agency charges (non-pass through fees).

As a customer, you can complain, but the T&C of your rate and booking will outline that taxes and fees are subject to change.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
It sucks but the same thing would have happened with any other agency at this particular location if a new/increased airport fee went into effect.

This is really not Dollar's fault.

I have been hit by a similar thing once, I forget which rental company it was. I was upset, it was an additional $30+ expense to my trip and I was not happy about it. But every other rental agency at the given airport would have done the exact same thing, so I just chalked it up to another tax on travel that us travelers get to shoulder, which continue to grow. Not the rental agency's fault.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

In my case I don't think it's Airport suddenly increase the fees, it's Dollar's IT System Glitch I guess......I did search find Hertz do have similar terms they can increase fees later on, but I can't find similar terms on Dollar.

1) the reservation confirmation E-mail I received facility charge and licensing fee is total $20.24 for 11 days, I don't put too much attention on this in the begining..............

2) plus Dollar never ever inform me this $4/day fee increase by E-mail or anything, until after 1 week I find out by myself after retrieve the reservation from Dollar website that the final price is increased $50, then I raise complain to Dollar, It's Dollar's fault they don't give correct price in their IT system and took Dollar 6 weeks to find out it’s because fee increase after customer numerous complains.......

3) if I knew it's not the original price $205 I received in first place, I would choose other rental company instead at 09/22 the day I made the reservation, but since then 6 weeks have passed and same itinerary other rental company price have changed a lot.....

Originally Posted by storewanderer
It sucks but the same thing would have happened with any other agency at this particular location if a new/increased airport fee went into effect.

This is really not Dollar's fault.

I have been hit by a similar thing once, I forget which rental company it was. I was upset, it was an additional $30+ expense to my trip and I was not happy about it. But every other rental agency at the given airport would have done the exact same thing, so I just chalked it up to another tax on travel that us travelers get to shoulder, which continue to grow. Not the rental agency's fault.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Update: I complain to BBB, no result, Dollar just state it's subject to change, BBB even give "resolved"..... so don't believe BBB "A+" it means nothing

I complain to Dollar Facebook team, after 2 month they even send Email to ask "Car Trawler" still can't find reason, finally agreed refund difference after my rental completed....I received my refund after I messenger them completed the rental

Anyway I probably won't use Dollar in future, I have send few Emails to Hertz/Dollar complain about this, all they do is just pretend not seeing it and not reply my Email at all.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.