Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On Enterprise DNR list after disputing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
If the OP were to rent from Avis/Budget using the AARP discount code after becoming a member of AARP, primary insurance coverage of 25/50/10 would be provided at no extra charge. Those under 50 can become "Associate" members of AARP for $12/year.

If the OP were to rent cars for a total of more than 12 or so days per year, then a non-owned-auto liability policy might be cost effective. For NYC residents, I think that Travelers Insurance offers the least expensive policy.

Edited to add:

I'm not sure if car-rental companies can go after renters in New York State for payouts made to third parties in amounts below the state minimums. Take a look at what Hertz has to say about liability coverage for rentals commencing in New York (and a handful of other states):

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reser...RAGES&EOAG=LAX
They can't if you're renting in new York.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I know I am late to this thread, and I read the other thread where the OP said he purchased insurance and backed into a parked car.

If I recall correctly when I use to rent from Enterprise the part where you initial on their contract about the insurance, it says something about if you're at fault for the accident the insurance doesn't cover you. You have to get the full insurance, not just the damage waiver.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I looked for non-owner insurance after this incident, but most of the insurance available to me as an NYC resident was uneconomical - it would be better for me just to buy SLI when I rent cars
I pay around $120/year for my non-owner's liability insurance ($500k or $1M, don't remember off the top of my head) in NYC.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I know I am late to this thread, and I read the other thread where the OP said he purchased insurance and backed into a parked car.

If I recall correctly when I use to rent from Enterprise the part where you initial on their contract about the insurance, it says something about if you're at fault for the accident the insurance doesn't cover you. You have to get the full insurance, not just the damage waiver.
That really makes no sense at all: You need the LDW for when the accident is your fault. If another (insured) driver causes the accident, then you or Enterprise could collect from their insurance.

Most car-rental contracts do contain terms that say that if you violate certain terms of the contract (by driving under the influence, driving on unpaid roads, etc.), then the LDW coverage will be voided. Perhaps that's what the Enterprise language said.

And, of course, LDW does not cover damage or injury you cause to others.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I'm currently renting a car with Sixt - LDW covered by a credit card, and I purchased supplemental liability from Sixt, so I should be all set. It looks like DNR lists aren't shared between rental groups, so I should be OK renting from Avis, Sixt and Hertz
Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I'm currently renting a car with Sixt - LDW covered by a credit card, and I purchased supplemental liability from Sixt, so I should be all set. It looks like DNR lists aren't shared between rental groups, so I should be OK renting from Avis, Sixt and Hertz
Don't hit anyone
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:51 pm

The "minimum liability" issue is how I got into the dispute in the first place. It's not clear if this minimum liability actually covers the driver or not (or if it "covers" the rental company), and my web searches never found an answer. My understanding was that car rental customers were covered up to this minimum in every state. In my case, the claimed damages were well under the minimum liability coverage for the state I rented in.

From now on, I will get SLI as the minimum liability is far too low for comfort.
No reason to do web searches -- the answer is in the rental contract you signed.

It's likely, especially with Enterprise, that you agreed to final financial responsibility for any 3rd party liability claims involving damage from your use of the vehicle.

Yes, the state required minimum liability coverage exists to provide (some minimal) compensation for damages you cause to 3rd parties. But that doesn't guarantee that you as the car renter are "covered", it means there is at least the state mandated minimum coverage available to cover injury and damages to 3rd parties.

Now say you have no personal auto liability insurance of any kind. The rental contract will state that if you don't have liability insurance personally, Enterprise, if it's required to by state law (which is basically every state except California), will have coverage that meets the state minimum financial responsibility amounts.

But also the rental contract you sign typically includes:
Indemnification by Renter. Renter shall defend, indemnify and hold Owner harmless from all losses, liabilities, damages, injuries, claims, demands, costs, attorney fees and other expenses incurred by Owner in any manner from this rental transaction, or from the use of Vehicle or Optional Accessories by any person, including claims of, or liabilities to third parties. Renter may present a claim to Renter’s insurance carrier for such events or losses; but in any event, Renter shall have final responsibility to Owner for all such losses. This obligation may be limited if Renter purchases optional LDW and/or an optional SLI.
So yes, there's "coverage" available for damage to a 3rd party's property but you also agree that either you or *your* insurance company (which is non-existent in this case) will have final responsibility for the losses.

If Enterprise or their insurer pays a 3rd party for damage you caused, don't be surprised if they bill you for it -- you agreed to pay.

A few states (e.g. rentals starting in NY) don't allow the rental car company or their insurer to hit you up for their losses, but most states do.
Adelphos likes this.

Last edited by Quokka; Aug 22, 2017 at 3:03 pm
Old Sep 24, 2020, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ummmwhat
This isn't directly related to OP, but with Hertz, any form of credit card dispute will get you added to DNR. You can get off the DNR list by paying them the disputed amount. I can also assure you that Hertz DNR is just based on DL number.

I've heard Enterprise is based on license and phone number. I'm not 100% sure, but if you call them and offer to pay the disputed amount they may remove you.
What if it’s an error that enterprise made
Old Sep 24, 2020, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Johnson Will
What if it’s an error that enterprise made
It does not matter. It is the company's prerogative to refuse business.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Ummmwhat
This isn't directly related to OP, but with Hertz, any form of credit card dispute will get you added to DNR. You can get off the DNR list by paying them the disputed amount. I can also assure you that Hertz DNR is just based on DL number.

I've heard Enterprise is based on license and phone number. I'm not 100% sure, but if you call them and offer to pay the disputed amount they may remove you.
i know this is an older post, but how do you know hertz is just DL number? I dont even know if i'm on the DNR, but i have since moved states and gotten married, so both my DL and name are different. I dont have any unpaid bills, but i did have a car longer than intended (i did extend multiple times).

my employer is flying me out to oregon and has set up a rental car with Hertz. i dont want to get to another state and be told i cant get anywhere
Old Mar 31, 2022, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Wow, close to five years ago

I believe I am still on the Enterprise DNR. Have rented primarily with Hertz, Avis and Sixt over the years since.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 1:53 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by hannykins14
i know this is an older post, but how do you know hertz is just DL number? I dont even know if i'm on the DNR, but i have since moved states and gotten married, so both my DL and name are different. I dont have any unpaid bills, but i did have a car longer than intended (i did extend multiple times).

my employer is flying me out to oregon and has set up a rental car with Hertz. i dont want to get to another state and be told i cant get anywhere
If your extension requests to Hertz were approved and your bill was paid in full, there's no reason to suspect you might be on the DNR. (Although this is Hertz we're talking about--the company that's under investigation for falsely reporting hundreds of customers for stealing cars that were sitting on their lot the whole time or that were never even picked up.)

That said, we have some personal experience with people who have been put on the Hertz DNR and were able to successfully rent again after moving and changing driver's licenses, so if you were put on the DNR under a previous "identity," you should be fine now.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: Army
DNR list for Rental Cars

I recently found out that I was on the Enterprise Do Not Rent list as a result of a dispute from a couple of years ago. A few questions:

1) Do all car rental companies share the same Do Not Rent list?
2) From what I understand, DNR lists follow driver's license numbers. If I get a new license, am I removed from the DNR list?
3) Are these DNR restrictions typically permanent?

Thanks
Hi

I was put on the DNR list for Alamo close to ten years ago. They claimed that I owed them $500 on an insurance issue. I paid and had an email receipt, they contacted me again and said I did not pay. I forwarded the email receipt which they refused to acknowledge. What you need to know is that Alamo, Enterprise and National Car rental agencies are ll under one company, so the DNR will apply to all of these. I still have the receipt and refuse to pay, so whenever I travel I use Avis, I am a preferred member nd have had great service. I hope this helps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.