Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

VAT charges for replacement parts from rental in Portugal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2016, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold

I rented a motorcycle in Portugal and damaged one of the panniers (saddlebags). I was charged VAT on the replacement pannier the rental company billed me for. Is this correct?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Yes, that's normal. It's sales tax.

Unless, of course, you're asking this because vehicle parts are VAT exempt/zero rated in Portugal. If so, then no you shouldn't be charged it. But fitting of the part constitutes a separate service.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Skatering
Yes, that's normal. It's sales tax.

Unless, of course, you're asking this because vehicle parts are VAT exempt/zero rated in Portugal. If so, then no you shouldn't be charged it. But fitting of the part constitutes a separate service.
There was no labor charged. Basically I was billed for what amounts to a replacement plastic box which attaches to the frame of the motorcycle via hand operated latches. It's designed to be removed/attached in about 10 seconds.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 3:26 pm

Yes, VAT would be chargeable.
It would only be refunded if you took the goods (new and unused) with you when you left the EU - which won't apply in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.