Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Named-non-owner liability insurance in MA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2016, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards

I've placed at least 15 different calls to different insurance agencies to find one that will write a named-non-owner liability policy for use with rental cars as a Massachusetts resident. Each of them has given me some sort of response along the lines of "those are hard to find in this state these days, keep calling around and maybe you'll get lucky." I have an extended rental coming up next week with Hertz for which I'd really like to be able to decline SLI without worrying about liability coverage. Does anyone have any leads or ideas about which insurers might be able to write this type of policy here?
Old Oct 8, 2016, 11:49 am

I was looking for the same thing about a year ago and I called several agencies, I was told MA had a law that made offering non-owners insurance illegal. I gave up after that.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:41 pm

Might want to call...

Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
I've placed at least 15 different calls to different insurance agencies to find one that will write a named-non-owner liability policy for use with rental cars as a Massachusetts resident. Each of them has given me some sort of response along the lines of "those are hard to find in this state these days, keep calling around and maybe you'll get lucky." I have an extended rental coming up next week with Hertz for which I'd really like to be able to decline SLI without worrying about liability coverage. Does anyone have any leads or ideas about which insurers might be able to write this type of policy here?
the insurance commissioner's office in Massachusetts, or whatever it's called there, to get the straight scoop.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I don't know if such policies are offered in MA or not. But if you haven't already done so, I would contact a Travelers Insurance agent, and ask whether Travelers offers such coverage in your state.

Edited to add: You might also give these folks a call, if you come a cropper with Travelers:

https://www.betterworldclub.com/gree...ity-insurance/

Last edited by guv1976; Oct 9, 2016 at 1:04 pm
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Just a quick update - I finally found an agent who thinks she can write one, but it looks like it will have to be bundled with a renters policy and their office is being really slow about processing a quote... so I'll probably have to accept SLI at Hertz tomorrow. She mentioned that the underwriting company is a local firm, Safety Insurance, so its possible that one of their agents can do it in MA.

Oh, and Travelers was one of the first companies I tried - they definitely are no longer writing named non owner policies here.

Last edited by lonelycrowd; Oct 12, 2016 at 8:59 am Reason: Typo
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Another update: Safety Insurance, a local company, will underwrite named non owner policies in MA. Berry Insurance was able to do the quote. Their quotes hurt a bit though: $599 yearly for 100/300 and $799 for 250/500. I'm 30/M with a clean driving record - but live (though I don't drive!) in a densely-populated zip code known for high premiums. I'm renting about two months of the year now, but with the million dollar limit offered by the major rental firms I'm thinking that I might actually come out a little ahead by continuing to accept SLI at $14/day instead of buying a policy, especially as some percentage of my rentals can be booked with a corporate code that includes basic liability coverage.

I suppose the flat daily rate for SLI is not such a ripoff after all, then, for those of us who are more expensive to insure...
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another update: Safety Insurance, a local company, will underwrite named non owner policies in MA. Berry Insurance was able to do the quote. Their quotes hurt a bit though: $599 yearly for 100/300 and $799 for 250/500. I'm 30/M with a clean driving record - but live (though I don't drive!) in a densely-populated zip code known for high premiums. I'm renting about two months of the year now, but with the million dollar limit offered by the major rental firms I'm thinking that I might actually come out a little ahead by continuing to accept SLI at $14/day instead of buying a policy, especially as some percentage of my rentals can be booked with a corporate code that includes basic liability coverage.

I suppose the flat daily rate for SLI is not such a ripoff after all, then, for those of us who are more expensive to insure...
Consider moving.

I live in upstate New York, and currently pay Travelers $62 per year ($31 six-month premium) for 500/500/100 coverage on a non-owned-auto policy!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Any update in the past two years?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I have Geico in FL. It was cheaper than any other options I could find, though definitely not cheap. Being 21/M doesn't help my case either.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by klanfa
I have Geico in FL. It was cheaper than any other options I could find, though definitely not cheap. Being 21/M doesn't help my case either.
How much? I just got a quote for $598/year in Massachusetts for 100k/300k
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:56 pm

How much? I just got a quote for $598/year in Massachusetts for 100k/300k
~$250/6 mo for 50k/100k
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you checked with a Travelers agent to verify that they still do not offer non-owned-auto policies in Massachusetts?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by guv1976
Have you checked with a Travelers agent to verify that they still do not offer non-owned-auto policies in Massachusetts?
I looked into this a few months ago. The Travelers agent I contacted said they would only consider issuing a policy for someone who had a full portfolio with them (including home and umbrella) and was a "well-qualified driver". Not sure what that means, but I didn't pursue it further as I wasn't interested in an umbrella policy. Liberty Mutual wanted a similar portfolio. Geico and Nationwide both said no outright.

In the end, I was only able to get two quotes for only a non-owners liability policy. Commerce (aka MAPFRE; quoted through both AAA and Berry Insurance) wanted $527 per year for 100/300, and Plymouth Rock (quoted through Better World Club) wanted $600 for the same coverage.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lmagnott
I looked into this a few months ago. The Travelers agent I contacted said they would only consider issuing a policy for someone who had a full portfolio with them (including home and umbrella) and was a "well-qualified driver". Not sure what that means, but I didn't pursue it further as I wasn't interested in an umbrella policy. Liberty Mutual wanted a similar portfolio. Geico and Nationwide both said no outright.

In the end, I was only able to get two quotes for only a non-owners liability policy. Commerce (aka MAPFRE; quoted through both AAA and Berry Insurance) wanted $527 per year for 100/300, and Plymouth Rock (quoted through Better World Club) wanted $600 for the same coverage.
A Travelers umbrella policy with homeowner and non-owned-auto policies added might cost less than the stand-alone non-owned-auto policy quotes you got from other carriers.

And you might check with a second Travelers agent just to verify that bundling is required in Massachusetts.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by guv1976
A Travelers umbrella policy with homeowner and non-owned-auto policies added might cost less than the stand-alone non-owned-auto policy quotes you got from other carriers.

And you might check with a second Travelers agent just to verify that bundling is required in Massachusetts.
I considered that possibility, but the response from the travelers agent twice included the phrase "we are unable to assist you", so it did not seem like they were interested in writing me a policy regardless. I did investigate further with Liberty Mutual (since I already have renters insurance with them), and the quote for the bundle was 2x as much as the sum of the individual quotes I'd gotten from other companies.

I forgot to mention that I also tried to contact State Farm and was told that they are no longer issuing any type of auto insurance policies in the state of MA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.