Wiki Posts
Search

Big Alamo One-Way Coming Up

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Big Alamo One-Way Coming Up

I'm getting ready for a 1,000+ mile one-way drive with an Alamo rental in a few weeks. This is the first time I am renting one-way, and it's a big trip. I picked Alamo because I was quoted a rate online that had no drop fee for the one-way trip, making it 60% cheaper than anyone else. I have the confirmation email and printout with the rate and price breakdown.

After seeing some horror stories of front line staff not honoring online price quotes at other companies here on FT, I guess I should ask whether or not Alamo may try to stick a drop fee on me and not honor the rate on my confirmation? Or is that only other companies, and/or very rare? Just curious if I'm going to end up in an argument at the counter.

Also, I'm told "Nissan Altima or similar." Realizing this is a corporate location and I'll be given whatever SLC's location wants to get rid of, any guesses on what type of car I'll actually get and what condition it will be in?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:11 pm

fwiw...

Originally Posted by aoumd
I'm getting ready for a 1,000+ mile one-way drive with an Alamo rental in a few weeks. This is the first time I am renting one-way, and it's a big trip. I picked Alamo because I was quoted a rate online that had no drop fee for the one-way trip, making it 60% cheaper than anyone else. I have the confirmation email and printout with the rate and price breakdown.

After seeing some horror stories of front line staff not honoring online price quotes at other companies here on FT, I guess I should ask whether or not Alamo may try to stick a drop fee on me and not honor the rate on my confirmation? Or is that only other companies, and/or very rare? Just curious if I'm going to end up in an argument at the counter.
i do one ways with Alamo not infrequently and have never had an issue with drop fees or reserved pricing. I luv and have lotta respect for their no deposit policy. If you use their kiosk you'll never talk to a counter agent, you print out your contract and go to your car-- so if you stand in line and go to the counter, that would make NO sense unless you enjoy talking to rental car agents...
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:52 pm

Although not 1,000+ mile rentals, 100% of my Alamo business is one-way. I probably have rented from Alamo two dozen times in the past two years. I never had any issues related to the price or terms of the contract.

Occasionally, I'll be given a car I don't want. In each case, it was an upgrade to a larger car that would end up costing me more to fill with gas. At the FLL airport location, all I have to do is request what I rented. I've never been denied.

At the small hotel-based location in Orlando where I rent, that same scenario is more of a problem. It's happened four times. Each time it was because they didn't have immediate availability. I've always been given the option to take what they had or wait for a car to be delivered from another location.

If you are renting from the SLC airport location, I'd imagine you will have plenty of options. Personally, I wouldn't worry about not getting what you rented.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Thank you both for calming my nerves!
Old Oct 7, 2016, 3:18 pm

I have similar question. Do you have finished your trip? What is your experience? I check one way rental carrentals.com and alamo site.both did not show any drop charge in total price regardless how far you travel. It is computer program glitch or alamo change its price model, or seasonally temporally waive the drop charge. Alamo normally charge a huge fee according mileage from my memory.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 6:14 pm

fwiw...

Originally Posted by travel69
I have similar question. Do you have finished your trip? What is your experience? I check one way rental carrentals.com and alamo site.both did not show any drop charge in total price regardless how far you travel. It is computer program glitch or alamo change its price model, or seasonally temporally waive the drop charge. Alamo normally charge a huge fee according mileage from my memory.
I have never paid a drop fee in my life, to ANY car rental company, and personally I'd never do so--I'd pursue other options. I rent from Alamo pretty frequently, plenty of one ways, and there has never been a drop fee requested. When I see other car rental companies including a drop fee in their quotes, I pass them by...
Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:43 am

Am I missing some special code? 1-way CLE-PHL 11/21/16-11/27/16 includes drop fee with Alamo...
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:20 am

Unless you use a European code, or fixed rate plus miles corporate contract, there's usually no separate drop fee, but a higher daily rate than roundtrip. It will vary depending on supply, demand, and depreciation due to mileage.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:43 pm

Auto enthusiast: interesting! thanks.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by randix
I have never paid a drop fee in my life, to ANY car rental company, and personally I'd never do so--I'd pursue other options. I rent from Alamo pretty frequently, plenty of one ways, and there has never been a drop fee requested. When I see other car rental companies including a drop fee in their quotes, I pass them by...
Why do you care about a drop fee? Total price is what matters. For a four-day rental, you're better off with $40/day and a $100 drop fee than $75/day with no drop fee...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.