Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turo Car Rental

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Turo Car Rental

Does anyone here have any experience with Turo car rentals (it's peer to peer rentals like airbnb)?

Namely, I was using it to rent out my car and the latest renter returned it smelling of smoke. It's against their policy and the renter will probably be fined and banned.

I was wondering if anyone has experience reporting this through Turo?

On the one hand I will feel bad that they'll get banned/fined but on the other they did disrespect the policy and my car.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:51 pm

I'd never rent out my car to someone I didn't know, the risk is far too high and considering how most people treat rental cars in general, yeah, I'd like not to need a new transmission after a few rentals or bald tires.

Sorry you're going through this but I think you learned a valuable lesson, I'd be much more apt to drive for Uber a few days a week to make some extra money then take the risk of someone beating on my ride.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: National EE, Avis CC
I rent out my car on Turo for the last few months and have had several positive rental experiences, except for my last one.

My renter admitted that she was hit by another driver while she was stationary in a parking lot. The damage is a small dent in the bumper with a large scratch.

Even though my renter admitted and confirmed everything, Turo failed to compensate me to fix the bumper to its original condition before the accident. They claim it falls under their "wear and tear" policy because the scratch is not large enough.

I am still in the process of fighting it with them, but it's requiring me to go back and forth so many times when the renter admitted she has been in an accident. My car is a popular in the area, but after this incident I am being much more selective in renting my car out (if ever) after this incident.

If you decide to report it to Turo, be sure to have concrete evidence to back your claim.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm considering using this service as a renter. We're arriving into a train station (5 people) and love the idea of a minivan meeting us curbside.

Anyone else used it as a renter?

I haven't even begun to dig into questions like insurance, etc.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
any more reviews/experiences out there? i'm considering this service over 4th of july... cars are available for 1/3 the cost of major rental companies.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 2:34 pm

Caution should be given to car-sharing service, especially to long term rental because Turo's policy is basically a renter must provide documents to substantiate mechanical issues at the time of return or early termination. It sounds reasonable, but many issues are not necessarily visible and chronic, and renters should risk spending their time in proving such mechanical issues. I love the idea of peer-to-peer sharing service, but carsharing service needs clear ideas of how to cope with lots of potential issues in vehicles as well as between owners and renters. If you want to try different kinds of vehicles for a short term, just go for it.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:54 pm

Smile first time booking as a renter

I just booked TWO cars for the first time (One thru mine and one thru my sister's) I heard of Turo thru a friend who is renting it for a trip for 4 at the end of July. Prices were insanely cheap compared to renting a regular car... plus the convenience of delivery.

The sign up process is pretty easy, although they did require that I submit a picture of my license and another picture of me holding my license next to my face for verification. (This was only required for my account and not my sisters) They basically ask 3-4 question and I'm assuming if you get one wrong then they will ask for photo.

Anyways, I am heading to LA for a 7 day trip at the end of August (3 nights on a cruise and coming back to 4-5 days in LA)... renting a mini-van (Total is about $280 for 4 days vs $500+ for a reg car rental company) and a rav4 ($172 incl insurance vs $400)- 8 adults and 3 kids total so we had to split into two cars.

First minivan we tried to book said they couldn't deliver on those days since she had 2 kids so we had to cancel this booking. We did include insurance on this but after discussing with my sister, our next try we decided to forgo the insurance since it was an extra $40 minimum for basic. (Still waiting to hear back about renting both the rav4 and the minivan)

I should note that I just applied for the United MileagePlus card and in the book I received, it says Primary coverage for car rentals is included. I have not asked UA/Chase yet but I am hoping it covers Turo... I read that they're pretty lenient on that but no guarantees.

I'll try to write again after my friend's end of july rental and again after my end of august trip =)
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by amieee
I just booked TWO cars for the first time (One thru mine and one thru my sister's) I heard of Turo thru a friend who is renting it for a trip for 4 at the end of July. Prices were insanely cheap compared to renting a regular car... plus the convenience of delivery.

The sign up process is pretty easy, although they did require that I submit a picture of my license and another picture of me holding my license next to my face for verification. (This was only required for my account and not my sisters) They basically ask 3-4 question and I'm assuming if you get one wrong then they will ask for photo.

Anyways, I am heading to LA for a 7 day trip at the end of August (3 nights on a cruise and coming back to 4-5 days in LA)... renting a mini-van (Total is about $280 for 4 days vs $500+ for a reg car rental company) and a rav4 ($172 incl insurance vs $400)- 8 adults and 3 kids total so we had to split into two cars.

First minivan we tried to book said they couldn't deliver on those days since she had 2 kids so we had to cancel this booking. We did include insurance on this but after discussing with my sister, our next try we decided to forgo the insurance since it was an extra $40 minimum for basic. (Still waiting to hear back about renting both the rav4 and the minivan)

I should note that I just applied for the United MileagePlus card and in the book I received, it says Primary coverage for car rentals is included. I have not asked UA/Chase yet but I am hoping it covers Turo... I read that they're pretty lenient on that but no guarantees.

I'll try to write again after my friend's end of july rental and again after my end of august trip =)
I would be weary about CDW coverage from the Explorer card covering you with Turo
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by samosa
I would be weary about CDW coverage from the Explorer card covering you with Turo
Agreed. Everything I have read when looking into this pointed to CC insurance not covering Turo rentals.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:14 pm

good for renting but not for renting out

Originally Posted by surfshadow
I rent out my car on Turo for the last few months and have had several positive rental experiences, except for my last one.

My renter admitted that she was hit by another driver while she was stationary in a parking lot. The damage is a small dent in the bumper with a large scratch.

Even though my renter admitted and confirmed everything, Turo failed to compensate me to fix the bumper to its original condition before the accident. They claim it falls under their "wear and tear" policy because the scratch is not large enough.
I highly recommend Turo if you're renting a car ($25 off for first-time renters: https://turo.com/referral?code=751293rZJXZo). Not sure if I'd recommend it to rent out your car. I had a similar experience to surfshadow. Over 20 positive trips renting out my car except for the last one. Front right bumper spot was clearly scratched. Here was Turo's response:

"I am so sorry to inform you that your claim is ineligible for coverage.

The damage noted falls under our classification of wear and tear https://support.turo.com/hc/en-us/articles/203990650

Turo does not offer coverage for exterior wear and tear for owner vehicles on the Standard or Basic plans. Interior wear and tear is not covered under any protection plan.

General Definitions:
Covered Peril: A covered collision or comprehensive event that takes place during the rental period, excluding:

3. exterior wear and tear for vehicles on the Standard or Basic plans

We define exterior wear and tear as follows:
Any dings, dents, or scratches to the exterior body of the vehicle that is 3 inches in diameter or less. This includes, but is not limited to, rims, wheels, hubcaps, any painted or textured area for the body of the vehicle, and moldings.

More information about our policies can also be found here:

Detailed explanation of owner protection plans
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by bku9
I highly recommend Turo if you're renting a car ($25 off for first-time renters: https://turo.com/referral?code=751293rZJXZo). Not sure if I'd recommend it to rent out your car. I had a similar experience to surfshadow. Over 20 positive trips renting out my car except for the last one. Front right bumper spot was clearly scratched. Here was Turo's response:

"I am so sorry to inform you that your claim is ineligible for coverage.

The damage noted falls under our classification of wear and tear https://support.turo.com/hc/en-us/articles/203990650

Turo does not offer coverage for exterior wear and tear for owner vehicles on the Standard or Basic plans. Interior wear and tear is not covered under any protection plan.

General Definitions:
Covered Peril: A covered collision or comprehensive event that takes place during the rental period, excluding:

3. exterior wear and tear for vehicles on the Standard or Basic plans

We define exterior wear and tear as follows:
Any dings, dents, or scratches to the exterior body of the vehicle that is 3 inches in diameter or less. This includes, but is not limited to, rims, wheels, hubcaps, any painted or textured area for the body of the vehicle, and moldings.

More information about our policies can also be found here:

Detailed explanation of owner protection plans
3" in Diameter could be a lot of damage to a rim and they don't cover it? Some people are going to learn some expensive lessons with Turo.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:34 am

damage

Originally Posted by surfshadow

I am still in the process of fighting it with them, but it's requiring me to go back and forth so many times when the renter admitted she has been in an accident. My car is a popular in the area, but after this incident I am being much more selective in renting my car out (if ever) after this incident.

If you decide to report it to Turo, be sure to have concrete evidence to back your claim.
hi how big was your scratch/dent? do you have a picture? some kid just broke my mirror and damaged my bumper that's why I'm asking
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:35 am

to avoid

Excuse my English, I'm French.

My experience with turo is simple, at first, no worries.

2 months later, I receive an email telling me that they will collect $ 736 CAD for a problem on the car. 2 months later!

It was a very small impact on the windscreen of the car. They do not want to provide me with an invoice to justify that.
In short, flee, it is clearly to avoid.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by alexisb88
Excuse my English, I'm French.

My experience with turo is simple, at first, no worries.

2 months later, I receive an email telling me that they will collect $ 736 CAD for a problem on the car. 2 months later!

It was a very small impact on the windscreen of the car. They do not want to provide me with an invoice to justify that.
In short, flee, it is clearly to avoid.
Oh so they are just like the big rental car companies
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by amieee

I know this is 1 year late but....I would not count on major CC to cover Turo.

I have Chase Sapphire Reserve and I called Chase to specifically ask if their rental coverage covers Turo and the rep flat out said Chase has a policy that specifically EXCLUDES Turo on their rental coverage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.