Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Renting car in Canada. Question about insurance! HELP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone, i was trying to rent a car with enterprise but they wouldn't let me to because i don't have a third person liability insurance. Since i don't own a car, I'm wondering if any other companies don't require this. And if i have to get one, how do i get a third person liability in ontario Canada?(I live here) Thanks everybody! You guys are awesome!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:09 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I've rented with Avis and Hertz in ON & QC many times and never been asked about 3rd party liability. Where were you renting?

If you don't have liability insurance, my suggestion is to pickup a party (call a local car insurance provider) or pay the daily rate through the rental agency! If not, you could have a costly mistake.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hertz Gold, JetBlue TrueBlue, Southwest Rapid Rewards
I rented with Hertz in Toronto this past fall (YYZ airport) and I'm a Hertz Gold member. Luckily, the Gold notifications still worked up there and I had the exact same experience I would have had in the US. I didn't speak to anyone and nobody ever asked me (even when returning the vehicle when I spoke to an agent) for insurance proof.

JUst to add, I have Geico, and I called them before my trip and asked if insurance proof was necessary. They told me I was indeed covered in Canada too and even offered to send me a Canadian insurance ID card, but the agent told me that my own car's information would still be printed on it (as if I was driving my own car across the border)- so I didn't do it. But long story short I had no problems.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Roy Zhao
Hello everyone, i was trying to rent a car with enterprise but they wouldn't let me to because i don't have a third person liability insurance. Since i don't own a car, I'm wondering if any other companies don't require this. And if i have to get one, how do i get a third person liability in ontario Canada?(I live here) Thanks everybody! You guys are awesome!
In Canada all major rental car companies provide 3rd party liability. They might charge a $500 deductible if you are under 25.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.