Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best one-way car rental discount codes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've noticed that, when using the above one-way rates with National, you can often get a further discount by applying a coupon (the codes tend to be more available for multi-day rentals). Plug in a few of the applicable coupon codes from this post and try to find one that works withyour one-way rental, Generally, the "dollars off" rates will work but the "free day" won't:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12712094-post1.html
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:19 pm

coupon codes

none of the national codes worked for my one way rental.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sandibeach
That's highly improbable. What's your itinerary?
Old May 3, 2013, 8:52 am

does the amount of savings make it more likely any i.d./affiliation will be questioned? my savings with one of the codes (thanks for sharing them) would be quite a bit.

Last edited by maverick17; May 12, 2013 at 4:58 pm
Old May 3, 2013, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by sandibeach
i kept trying them as coupons, with none working, thinking my location at EWR was the issue. then it dawned on me to try as contract and made all the difference.
Old May 3, 2013, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maverick17
does the amount of savings make it more likely any i.d./affiliation will be questioned? my savings with one of the codes (thanks for sharing them) would be over $1000.
You never know. I'd go with the best code. It might help to have a story ready if you need one -- and a back-up plan.

I have a feeling that this code thing is all a game. The car rental companies could be much tougher on codes if they wanted to be. Of course, they'd lose a lot of business if they were.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:10 am

What percentage off of the one-way base rate have you been able to get with the codes?
Old May 7, 2013, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iowa guy
What percentage off of the one-way base rate have you been able to get with the codes?
They're not "percentage off" rates: they're generally fixed rates. Depending on how awful the best published rate is in the markets you need for your dates, they can result in savings of 80%+.
Old May 11, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: AA, United, Iberia, US Airways
I'm not seeing the crazy-huge savings some have mentioned in this thread. Are some of these codes low base rate AND unlimited mileage? Using one of the University codes in the top section of the post, I get a low base rate of about $184 for a premium car for a 4 day rental. But, there are no miles included. Mileage costs .30/mile.
Old May 12, 2013, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drsh99
I'm not seeing the crazy-huge savings some have mentioned in this thread. Are some of these codes low base rate AND unlimited mileage? Using one of the University codes in the top section of the post, I get a low base rate of about $184 for a premium car for a 4 day rental. But, there are no miles included. Mileage costs .30/mile.
Is that a National rate? The beauty of the National rate is that it's unlimited miles. The Avis rates do suffer from the problem.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Would also echo the thanks for information-sharing on all this. I've had 21 or so years of sporadic experience with various one-ways, sometimes landing a good deal but often having to wade through a lot of bad ones. Back in the pre-Internet days when some companies were bad about telling you one thing on the phone and another at the counter, you had to be exceptionally careful about making sure there wasn't a drop charge and, if there was, finding out what it was. Most agents at the car companies weren't well-trained to handle one-ways and acted like it was deviant behavior. National was a pioneer in not having drop charges and long recommended by Clark Howard, though the trade-off was usually the higher daily rate.

On the Florida specials I used to do the seasonal driveaways most years. I usually went with a 5-day rental and applied the best weekly coupon against it, plus whatever other discounts were stackable. I think my all-time best was under $10 a-i for 5 days, though nowadays the $3+ gas fouls the equation and no doubt had dented the take on the driveaways (they used to "sell out" not long after being announced).

After the floodgates opened on intra-Florida drops they used to be cheap, but it seems lately the car companies have been giving separate daily rates for those and really upping them.

One use for one-ways is to drive to another airport to "launch" a trip with a low-fare ticket originating out of there, but with routing on the return through your home airport and skipping the last segment.
Old May 13, 2013, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Is that a National rate? The beauty of the National rate is that it's unlimited miles. The Avis rates do suffer from the problem.
Yes, its the National Rate for University of Chicago. which are unlimited?
Old May 13, 2013, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drsh99
Yes, its the National Rate for University of Chicago. which are unlimited?
I don't think I've linked that one. Have you tried the "Big 10" rate in the first post?
Old May 18, 2013, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
I don't think I've linked that one. Have you tried the "Big 10" rate in the first post?
No, I just used Univ of Chicago, since its my real affiliation.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Awesome thread. Thanks all who contributed.

I just tried getting a one-way rental from AUS to SAT for 2 days and it was like $300-400. Ridiculous. I used the Priceline code on Avis.com and got it to $69. I am a little afraid that they may give me grief when I get there about the drop fee of $200, so just in case I might make a reservation with National jst in case (used the Car&Driver code with the $10 Ent book coupon code and got it to $119).

Has anyone ever had an issue with Avis and using the Priceline code?

I was also able to get a total of $99 with no drop fee through Avis with the BJ's wholesale (which I am a member of) discount code (A415900).

Last edited by Majikow; Jun 12, 2013 at 3:56 pm Reason: Adding BJ's code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.