Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best one-way car rental discount codes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:09 am

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by phoenixstar
No problems what-so-ever with Big 10 Code, even using a location with Emerald Booth service. Very pleased. Thanks again OP for the code. ^
I have also just successfully applied the Big 10 code to an upcoming reservation. Without any codes, my one-way PIT-DCA rental would have been $73 for a full-size; with the code, the all-in rate dropped to $57. ^
Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:58 pm

Intelligent one way rental - savings

This forum is perfect!!! It took me forever to find it , but I am surprised there aren't more like it on more comments!!

I just Used the BIG TEN code ( USED in CONTRACT ID BOX ): 5000491

I kept trying it is coupon code and kept getting rejected, almost gave up .....then put it in under Contract ID: and Bingo!

THIS CODE PROVIDES THE BEST DISCOUNT ......

Last edited by naschr; Apr 2, 2012 at 5:13 pm
Old May 11, 2012, 11:58 am

clarification

I'm considering a round trip flight from LAX to DFW but may need to drive back to LA to bring back some storage stuff. I don't use rental cars often and never for one way so I'm not familiar with the ends and outs or the terminology used in this thread.
Can I use the 'big ten' code for a trip from Dallas to Los Angeles? Thanks in advance - and great thread!
Old May 11, 2012, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cjinca
I'm considering a round trip flight from LAX to DFW but may need to drive back to LA to bring back some storage stuff. I don't use rental cars often and never for one way so I'm not familiar with the ends and outs or the terminology used in this thread.
Can I use the 'big ten' code for a trip from Dallas to Los Angeles? Thanks in advance - and great thread!
You could, but try to become familiar with rent-a-car procedures. I'm not sure I'd recommend this to a first time traveller. That said, if you make the reservation online and put in the code and city pairs, you could certainly do it. As an extra tip, you don't necessarily need to pick up or return the car at an airport, and it is sometimes cheaper if you don't (especially the pick-up part).
Old May 11, 2012, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
You could, but try to become familiar with rent-a-car procedures. I'm not sure I'd recommend this to a first time traveller. That said, if you make the reservation online and put in the code and city pairs, you could certainly do it. As an extra tip, you don't necessarily need to pick up or return the car at an airport, and it is sometimes cheaper if you don't (especially the pick-up part).
thanks for the concern. clarification: I'm 54 and have we have rented a few cars over the years. I just don't rent like a salesperson, for example. and we've usually rented round trip.

can you shed some light on your concerns?

can you provide a link or basic website/instructions for entereing code and "city pairs"?

and thanks for the tip on possibly saving more by not using airport.
Old May 11, 2012, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cjinca
thanks for the concern. clarification: I'm 54 and have we have rented a few cars over the years. I just don't rent like a salesperson, for example. and we've usually rented round trip.

can you shed some light on your concerns?

can you provide a link or basic website/instructions for entereing code and "city pairs"?

and thanks for the tip on possibly saving more by not using airport.
Well, it's just possible the counter staff could ask you some questions about the code. It's unlikely, but if you read the various car rental threads, you will see that ocasionally the counter staff questions your eligibility for the code. Be prepared for that. Also, be prepared to deal with the insurance issue. Some of these codes include insurance, which probably isn't a good thing if you get in an accident -- if you're not technically eligible to use the code.

It's pretty straight forward to view the rates. Go to the website of each car rental company that has one of the listed codes, plug in your dates and locations (if you're flexible, use nearby locations to compare rates), put in the code (fairly obvious where it goes), and see what rates pop up.

Obviously, decline all optional services/products offered at the counter. The odds that you need any of them are extremely low, and the add-ons are priced extremely high.

I think car rental "newbies" can do this but, candidly, car rental "code shopping" is something generally done by grizzled, car rental veterans.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:55 pm

As a heads up, my wife was asked to confirm her Ohio State affiliation to pick up her National car in ATW. She said she had none, and they ended up re-booking for a higher rate.

So folks should be prepared for being questioned on the "Big Ten" code.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xooz
As a heads up, my wife was asked to confirm her Ohio State affiliation to pick up her National car in ATW. She said she had none, and they ended up re-booking for a higher rate.

So folks should be prepared for being questioned on the "Big Ten" code.
Doesn't seem like the best response. You are eligible for the rate if your spouse works at the school, or if you're a retiree. What would the staff say in response?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 6:49 pm

We were none of those .A few bucks is not worth becoming a liar for in my book. I was conflicted about using it, and probably won't in the future. You do get good rates though. I just wanted folks to be prepared for getting the question.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xooz
We were none of those .A few bucks is not worth becoming a liar for in my book. I was conflicted about using it, and probably won't in the future. You do get good rates though. I just wanted folks to be prepared for getting the question.
You tried to use the code "for a few bucks"?

When I use it, it's often for $100 a day, and I wouldn't rent the car otherwise.

The ethics of using car rental discount codes has been argued ad nauseum on flyertalk and elsewhere. If it makes you uncomfortable, you definitely shouldn't use them.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:36 pm

I just used 5125601 for a National car one way rental from LAX to SNA. Gave me the best rate. It is a AMEX friends and family pass. We have a few AMEX cards.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 4:21 pm

Though not as low as the Big 10 rate, the Car & Driver code XVC1093 for National was close. It does not include LDW, which I consider a plus. This was for a one week, one way rental from LAX to LAS.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:21 pm

If I have known of this thread I would have saved a lot of $$. Nice work.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Thanks

Thanks for this posting just what I needed to book a 10 day one way rental...If I ever find a good code I will certainly post it here!!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DubSlick
Though not as low as the Big 10 rate, the Car & Driver code XVC1093 for National was close. It does not include LDW, which I consider a plus. This was for a one week, one way rental from LAX to LAS.
Interesting. I just made a one-way rez TO JFK and this Car & Driver rate was cheaper than the Big 10 rate. Oddly, FROM JFK it's more expensive.

I guess you never know, but it looks like XVC1093 is a very useful code. I also like that it doesn't include LDW. I did a little research to see if it was really for readers (instead of just employees), but the results are ambiguous. Still, I feel more comfortable with it than the Big 10 rate, and cheaper is better!

I've also updated the first post to include the new codes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.