Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

Keeping kosher for Passover while travelling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

I admit it -- I don't pay attention to kashrut any other time of the year, but I do make it a point to do so during Passover. (There is a very logical reason for this but I don't want to go into it as it would get this thread into a theological debate.)

I find it very difficult to manage this while travelling. Yes, airlines will provide me with food which is kosher for Passover and if I am going to a city with a decent-sized Jewish population I can find supermarkets with at least basic foods which I can eat in my hotel room.

Beyond that, it is difficult. Most kosher restaurants close for the holidays as they don't want the expense of maintaining the extra sets of plates, utensils, etc.

This is true even in Israel -- and much more so overseas.

How do you handle this problem?
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:05 am

Carry a 2nd suitcase only for food and eat a lot of canned stuff
Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
experienced travels know to split vital items between 2 suitcases.

Originally Posted by apirchik
Carry a 2nd suitcase only for food and eat a lot of canned stuff

If your food stash goes missing, you could get very hungry!

I often travel to places where the quality of food is an issue. For a few days prior to purchasing your travel food, keep track of how much you actually eat. Figure out how bored you are willing to be and purchase accordingly. Buy a new 'put in cup' water boiling device (a few dollars) and a package of heavy duty coffee cups with lids (such as you would get at Starbucks. You can make soups, teas, coffees etc with your own cups and water boiler. I always carry little packages of oatmeal. I don't know if they come in Kosher for Passover versions. But you can really survive on them. I've done it.

Buy some very special items for treats. Don't forget to pack meals in your carry on bag! You can buy fresh fruits along the way, correct?
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:54 am

A question borne of ignorance: do Pareve-only kitchens require a Passover set of cookware and utensils? If not, and if you can find a strictly-vegan restaurant, that could be an answer.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:07 am
Original Poster

A vegetarian restaurant is no more likely to be kosher for Passover than one which serves meat. Remember, the problem is leavening and certain legumes.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:10 pm

Of course -- I was hallucinating in anticipation of the inevitable 8 Days of Constipation.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:50 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
(a) Try not to travel
(b) Exercise circumstantial kashrut
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
(b) Exercise circumstantial kashrut

Huh??? What's circumstantial kashrut??

It really depends on where you are travelling to.
I think your best bet is to find a local chabad they can provide you with both places to shop and people who know the local terrrain (what is recommended etc).
You can start at their website www.chabad.org and locate a center.... good luck.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
One thing I have used, but it doesn't always work real well. Depends on where you are is [url]www.kosherflyaway.com/url]. They have Glatt Kosher meals for certain areas of the world and they do do passover foods. I use them when the SO has clients in town who require Kosher meals. They are definately not cheap, but if you have to keep Pesah, then this is one way to do it.

However, what I try to do is stick to the spirit of the rules for Pesah. Of course having a Sephardic background (I get rice and beans) does make things significantly easier as there are more foods available for me to eat. In essence for me it becomes 8 days of chinese food. I try to stay away from foods that are clearly leavened, and made from breadproducts. I am still up in the air about what actually is in a tortilla. If it actually doesn't have a leavening agent in it then that may expand my food choices.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:40 pm

the few times i flew on pesach i got kosher CHAMETZ meals. i was not about to do biur on the plane but i did go hungry.
i hope you like tuna fish.
chag sameach
Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:07 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by smalltime
Huh??? What's circumstantial kashrut??
Personal term. The best you can do under the circumstances.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azmmza
the few times i flew on pesach i got kosher CHAMETZ meals. i was not about to do biur on the plane but i did go hungry.
i hope you like tuna fish.
chag sameach
The only times I flew on Pesach were on Air France and Alitalia and in both cases the meals were kosher for Pesach.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 1:08 am

Depending on how strict you are, I'd say tuna, water, and raw fruits and veggies. Chag sameach!
Old Apr 17, 2006, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by Dovster
The only times I flew on Pesach were on Air France and Alitalia and in both cases the meals were kosher for Pesach.
Ran into chametz kosher meals on AF during Pesach about 6 years ago. I don't know if they've improved, back then more than half the time you'd order kosher, the meals didn't make the flight.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 8:53 am

I once got a kosher for pesach meal on a flight within Europe. There were just a couple of problems with it: a) it was half frozen, and b) it wasn't pesach!!!

goodo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.