Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

Are there kosher delis outside of NY?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2005, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

I know that in Florida I can find delis that sell Hebrew National hot dogs and pastrami sandwiches, but these places also serve non-kosher food -- hence making anything you eat there not kosher.

Is there such a thing as a kosher deli outside of NYC?
Old Nov 28, 2005, 7:09 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Dovster
I know that in Florida I can find delis that sell Hebrew National hot dogs and pastrami sandwiches, but these places also serve non-kosher food -- hence making anything you eat there not kosher.

Is there such a thing as a kosher deli outside of NYC?
Try Montreal, Toronto or Ottawa.
--
13F
Old Nov 28, 2005, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Anywhere in the world, or just anywhere in the United States?

In Canada, given the significant Jewish populations in some cities, you would probably find kosher delis in Toronto, Montreal and Winnipeg:

Here's a link for Toronto:

http://www.aish.com/travel/toronto.asp#kosherdining
Old Nov 28, 2005, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
Anywhere in the world, or just anywhere in the United States?

In Canada, given the significant Jewish populations in some cities, you would probably find kosher delis in Toronto, Montreal and Winnipeg:

Here's a link for Toronto:

http://www.aish.com/travel/toronto.asp#kosherdining
There are a lot of kosher restaurants throughout the world but they have different menus than real kosher delis. We don't even have one in Israel.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:51 am

Ruben's in Brookline (MA)

Ruben's on Harvard St (on the edge of Coolidge Corner) is a deli that's kosher; it has been there for years and is pretty good.

Very good corned beef, excellent hot brisket. Marble rye and sissel are still excellent, but their bulkie supplier has gone down in quality.

Just don't bring someone who needs real cream cheese on their bagel or milk in their coffee.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:52 am

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
I think you could probably find a good one in the Chicago area. At one point, the city of Skokie, IL had the world's largest grouping of Jewish WWII concentration camp survivors. The city erected a poignant monument in front of their public library, and suffered through skinhead protest marches a while back (70's?). Root of skinhead parody in the movie "Blues Brothers."

I'd think jewish neighborhoods in the City, Skokie, Buffalo Grove, or Highland Park would be good possibilities.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:53 am

And one more thing: there ought to be a law prohibiting any place from advertising itself as "kosher-style."
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:08 am
Suspended

La

They have The Pico Deli , which is a Deli and the best Rye Bread I ever had. Reg Deli Mustard, the Only prob are the Pickles. Really hard to get real Sour Pickles outside of NYC.

Till about a yr or so ago DC had Stacks.

PHX has Segals which is a Jack of all stores,= a Butcher, grocery and restaurant. But their sandwichs are MASSIVE and they serve what I feel is the Best Burger Anywhere. Ive been known to drive from LA or LAS just to partake. Its Fresh meat and not the small patty kind of a fast food place. the place doesnt look like a Deli more like a grocery, but they do have Deli sandwhiches like a Deli makes.

Dont know if its still around there used to be a place on Rehov Dizengoff called New York Deli, I dont remember if it was open on Shabbos or not.the last time I saw it was back in the 70s.

Of cause London has Blooms in Golders Green and Reubens DownTown on Baker St up a short ways from Oxford St heading North
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz

Dont know if its still around there used to be a place on Rehov Dizengoff called New York Deli, I dont remember if it was open on Shabbos or not.the last time I saw it was back in the 70s.
New York Deli is now on Ibn Gibriol Street but it is not really a deli.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:33 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by JHattery
I think you could probably find a good one in the Chicago area. At one point, the city of Skokie, IL had the world's largest grouping of Jewish WWII concentration camp survivors. The city erected a poignant monument in front of their public library, and suffered through skinhead protest marches a while back (70's?). Root of skinhead parody in the movie "Blues Brothers."

I'd think jewish neighborhoods in the City, Skokie, Buffalo Grove, or Highland Park would be good possibilities.
That's right. There are at least a couple in Skokie, IL / north side of Chicago.

Chaim's Kosher is run under supervision of the local rabbinate. It's at 4956 W. Dempster in Skokie, IL -- (847) 675-1005

Hungarian Kosher Foods, down the street from there, also has a Kosher deli section within the store if I recall correctly.

There are more.

A friend who keeps kosher found himself violating it for the very first time when he spent a year in Israel on a volunteer program because of difficulty with access. (He now lives in Zichron, though, so I imagine he's worked it out.)
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jakebeth
A friend who keeps kosher found himself violating it for the very first time when he spent a year in Israel on a volunteer program because of difficulty with access. (He now lives in Zichron, though, so I imagine he's worked it out.)
If he was a volunteer on a kibbutz it would not have had kosher food unless it was one of about 3 religious kibbutzim in the country.

Most restaurants in Israel are kosher but not of the New York deli variety. I am yet, for example, to see a knish in Israel.

(Heck, until about 10 years ago you couldn't find a real bagel here.)
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:52 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Gam Gam in VCE is a true kosher (dairy) restaurant.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Gam Gam in VCE is a true kosher (dairy) restaurant.
Agreed. It is not only kosher but also very good. Still, it is not a deli -- as you pointed out when you said it was dairy.

To date, the closest I have been able to come to a deli outside of NY is a food court in the Festival Flea Market in FLL. I can go to one place and get Hebrew National hot dogs and then to a nearby stall for my knish.

If I have room left over, I can even get a black and white cookie there -- although that sort of ruins the whole kosher aspect.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
Agreed. It is not only kosher but also very good. Still, it is not a deli -- as you pointed out when you said it was dairy.

To date, the closest I have been able to come to a deli outside of NY is a food court in the Festival Flea Market in FLL. I can go to one place and get Hebrew National hot dogs and then to a nearby stall for my knish.

If I have room left over, I can even get a black and white cookie there -- although that sort of ruins the whole kosher aspect.
Do they serve Dr. Brown's - to wash it all down with?
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ljp99
Do they serve Dr. Brown's - to wash it all down with?
Believe it or not, I have found Dr. Brown's in Florida (but I don't remember if it was at the Festival Flea Market). A knish is not a knish without Dr. Brown's orange soda!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.