Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

Hermo meal in a treif restaurant???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Someone is trying to book me into a steakhouse called The Palm in Belgravia and he claims the resto can make an arrangement to serve Hermolis sealed meals.

I've done many Hermo catered meals in hotel functions, but I've NEVER heard of such practice in a London restaurant. It's even harder to believe as I assume steakhouses make good margins on wine and beef neither of which I would order.

Is this for real, or should I assume it's an early Purim joke?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:12 am
Suspended

I used to date a doc who told me how when she was at a convention in New Orleans went out to a famous restauarnt there and simply didnt order anything, it was something Pauls. The owner was there and came over to the table and told her how he cooks the fish (and kind) and veggies for Religious people and its all kosher

So it could be the samething where this restaurant gets its share of kosher customers who didnt eat and figured out a way (Hermolis meals) for them to beable to do so. Personally Id rather eat in my room unless it was a working meeting/meal that I had to attend
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I've done it numerous times in fancy Midtown restaurants in NYC. Don't know the specifics of your case in London, but it is a concept that exists.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
The Palm is a well-known chain of steakhouses around the East Coast. I did not know they were in London, too. I don't keep kosher, but have a severe shellfish allergy they have been able to accommodate without issue, so I would not be surprised if they can provide a hermo meal. I would ask as well in advance as you can.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
If you work with the kitchen staff in a positive manner it goes much easier.

I travel allot myself and often have meals delivered to a kitchen. I am almost always surprised at how they already know about being double wrapped and that they are not to open them.

Bermuda, Jamaica, Mexico as well as Billings Montana.

I try to always have a little set of fork and knife in a plastic rapper just in case there is no silverware, which has happened.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:08 am

Programs: LY Plat, BMI DC Gold, VS Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, Sixt Plat
W9London - best thing to do is ask for written confirmation from the restaurant that they'll do it. I've definitely heard of it being done in restaurants before (though not specifically that one)
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
In NYC, many high-end restaurants have this arrangement.

Another option if you want to have a dinner at a non-kosher restaurant, while eating hekhshered food yourself, is to contact the best kosher restaurant in town and ask them if they have any arrangement to provide off-site meals at other restaurants...that way, the place you host your event knows that they're getting your money BECAUSE of their offering kosher food.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:37 pm

Hermo meal, treif restaurant, hekhshered ... ahhh, what I can learn on FT!

It's a mitzvah what you've done for us goyim here. Okeinhoreh, I say, and God bless you.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: All of them...
Well in Disney World in Orlando you can order Kosher meals in the park restaurants
Old Mar 24, 2012, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chff
Well in Disney World in Orlando you can order Kosher meals in the park restaurants
Same with Disneyland in Anaheim
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:28 am

And best of all, I spoke with the owner of the Orlando Disney catering service, he is looking to open a kosher hotel in Orlando shortly!

And has petitioned Disney to allow Pizza to be added to his menu.

No surprise, his goal was to have it open for Pesach.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thumper
And best of all, I spoke with the owner of the Orlando Disney catering service, he is looking to open a kosher hotel in Orlando shortly!

And has petitioned Disney to allow Pizza to be added to his menu.

No surprise, his goal was to have it open for Pesach.
but they have pizza already in Disney
Old Mar 29, 2012, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
but they have pizza already in Disney
Wow, that was fast!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:56 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by craz
I used to date a doc who told me how when she was at a convention in New Orleans went out to a famous restauarnt there and simply didnt order anything, it was something Pauls. The owner was there and came over to the table and told her how he cooks the fish (and kind) and veggies for Religious people and its all kosher

So it could be the samething where this restaurant gets its share of kosher customers who didnt eat and figured out a way (Hermolis meals) for them to beable to do so. Personally Id rather eat in my room unless it was a working meeting/meal that I had to attend
K-Paul's, owned by Paul Prudhomme, and not surprising. New Orleans has a large Jewish population, especially for the South, and is a big tourist city.

And why be anti-social if you have a restaurant willing to accommodate?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N1120A
And why be anti-social if you have a restaurant willing to accommodate?
Maarat Ayin. That's what I decided in the end--I chickend out and switched to a kosher resto in the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.