Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manhattan for Shabbos

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2010, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Manhattan for Shabbos

Does anyone know if there are any hotels or apatments for rent for a weekend (2-3 nights) near Central Park area that are okay for Shomer Shabbos (no key problem and low floor; maybe even continental breakfast). Also any places to eat where you can reserve in advance?
Thank you.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 3:49 pm

I am pretty sure that Talia's steakhouse, Darna and Prime KO, both on the upper west side near CPW offer prepaid shabbos meals.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Check here... http://www.chabad.org/centers/defaul...-Manhattan.htm

I'm sure they'll have an answer to your question.

actor613, welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by actor613
Does anyone know if there are any hotels or apatments for rent for a weekend (2-3 nights) near Central Park area that are okay for Shomer Shabbos (no key problem and low floor; maybe even continental breakfast). Also any places to eat where you can reserve in advance?
Thank you.
You might try Union Theological Seminary's guest rooms: not expensive and opposite the Jewish Theological Seminary at 122nd street. It's a bit further uptown than you might like but definitely walkable, depending on where near Central Park you meant.

http://www.utsnyc.edu/Page.aspx?pid=520

Darna definitely does prereserved meals, as far as I know.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by salut0
You might try Union Theological Seminary's guest rooms: not expensive and opposite the Jewish Theological Seminary at 122nd street. It's a bit further uptown than you might like but definitely walkable, depending on where near Central Park you meant.

http://www.utsnyc.edu/Page.aspx?pid=520

Darna definitely does prereserved meals, as far as I know.
What is this like though in terms of staying there over Shabbat?
Old Jul 2, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Union Theological Seminary is opposite Columbia University. So we are talking about 120th street, while "mainstream" Central Park is probably more like the 70s.

JTS is 122 Street, and is of course the Conservative Rabbinic School, if you participate in Masorti services. The food in the cafeteria is Glatt, and can be arranged for prior to Shabbat.

The actual area is Spanish Harlem, but I would not fret walking around the Broadway area.

With school out for the summer, the majority of students around campus are goingto be foreign exchange students. I am not certain if the Bayit (the jewish dorm) is open over the summer, might be another alternative for Shabbat.

Best wishes!

Thumper
(Columbia 76)
Old Jul 3, 2010, 9:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Thumper
JTS is 122 Street ...
The actual area is Spanish Harlem, but I would not fret walking around the Broadway area.
I must disagree: Spanish Harlem is East Harlem (basically, north of E96th and east of Fifth Avenue, with the exception of the buildings facing Central Park on 5th Ave up to 110th St and Mt Sinai hospital till about Madison and E98th). W122nd St is nowhere near there: and nowadays, with Columbia's expansion northwards, is firmly within the northern stretches of Morningside Heights. It's not unsafe, despite what some people think about Harlem. North of JTS itself is a bit grittier, but that's just from where the subway emerges above ground at 122nd/Broadway itself (like on the east side above 96th/Park).

Last edited by salut0; Jul 3, 2010 at 9:57 pm
Old Jul 5, 2010, 4:41 am

Thumper, I'm CBS (yup the ugliest building on the whole campus) '95 so a bit more recent in terms of Morningside Heights knowledge, I must say. The area had come a looong way since then. It is definitely more yuppi-fied, also there's a big cliff to the east so it is highly unlikely anyoen will walk into Harlem (which in any way is more gentrified since my days in Morningside Heights).

I consider mainstream UWS to be more upper 80s, rather than 70s (I guess you were thinking like Lincoln Square?) Jewish Centre is on 86th, OZ (Ohev Zedek) is in mid-90s, shteibel on 84th, BJ is also on upper-80th, Carlbach shul on 79th. I reckon it's probably about 20min walks? It's not unusual to see people walking 20 (vertical) blocks. Heck, my former shul had people walking from East Side...

Summertime traffic is not much different from usual school term traffic.

Last edited by W9London; Jul 5, 2010 at 4:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.