FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religious Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/religious-travelers-604/)
-   -   Master Thread: Kosher Meals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/religious-travelers/1083255-master-thread-kosher-meals.html)

joshwex90 Aug 7, 2011 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Godolphin (Post 16871938)
I am traveling first class JFK to LAS roundtrip.
I called to request Kosher meals and they said there is no option for Kosher meals on my flights.

For a flight over 5 hours, you would think this would be an option in first class.

See this post. LAS has no SPMLs on CO, US, or DL either.

1/4MM@20 Aug 10, 2011 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Godolphin (Post 16873037)
Sorry, yes it is American airlines.

If you really want, you could route JFK-LAX-LAS on American and you would get a kosher meal on the JFK-LAX flight in business or first. Honestly though, not worth the effort.

If you eat vegetarian, there will likely be a vegetarian option. If you are on the morning JFK-LAS this will likely be a cereal / fruit option.

joshwex90 Aug 10, 2011 9:58 am

Originally Posted by 1/4MM@20 (Post 16894695)
If you really want, you could route JFK-LAX-LAS on American and you would get a kosher meal on the JFK-LAX flight in business or first. Honestly though, not worth the effort.

If you eat vegetarian, there will likely be a vegetarian option. If you are on the morning JFK-LAS this will likely be a cereal / fruit option.

Incorrect. Thee only time ANY SPMLs are available on AA for domestic flights is in F/C on transcon flights. That's it. This includes both KSMLs and VGMLs

TWA884 Aug 10, 2011 11:21 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 16895458)
Incorrect. Thee only time ANY SPMLs are available on AA is in F/C on transcon flights. That's it. This includes both KSMLs and VGMLs

Not according to AA.com:

Special Meal Availability
Special meals are available on Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack and Breakfast Snack flights when ordered in advance.

Order at least 24 hours prior to the flight:

The OP, BTW, wrote:

joshwex90 Aug 10, 2011 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 16896081)
Not according to AA.com:The OP, BTW, wrote:

You posted a link which proves my point. JFK-LAS is NOT a transcon flight, meaning there will NOT be a vegetarian option.

I'm aware the OP wrote First class. Doesn't change the fact that there are no SPMLs on JFK-LAS. @:-)

TWA884 Aug 11, 2011 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 16900626)
You posted a link which proves my point. JFK-LAS is NOT a transcon flight, meaning there will NOT be a vegetarian option.

I'm aware the OP wrote First class. Doesn't change the fact that there are no SPMLs on JFK-LAS. @:-)

Please follow the logical progression of this discussion.
Godolphin Complained about not having a kosher option in First Class on an American Airlines flight from JFK to LAS.

I called to request Kosher meals and they said there is no option for Kosher meals on my flights.

For a flight over 5 hours, you would think this would be an option in first class.

Originally Posted by Godolphin (Post 16873037)
Sorry, yes it is American airlines.

1/4MM@20 suggested that Godolphin could fly JFK-LAX-LAS where he could get a kosher meal on the JFK-LAX leg in business or first class.

You, then, quoting 1/4MM@20's post, wrote that AA offered domestic flights special meals only in first class on transcon flights.

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 16895458)
Incorrect. Thee only time ANY SPMLs are available on AA for domestic flights is in F/C on transcon flights. That's it. This includes both KSMLs and VGMLs

Wherein, I referred you to the AA.com webpage showing that special meals are available on AA on transcontinental flights in first and business classes.

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 16896081)
Not according to AA.com:

Special Meal Availability
Special meals are available on Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack and Breakfast Snack flights when ordered in advance.

Order at least 24 hours prior to the flight:

The OP, BTW, wrote:

Do you dispute that, on just about all morning flights, AA offers a cereal and fruit option for breakfast in first class?

joshwex90 Aug 15, 2011 2:13 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 16905482)
<snip>

I dispute the fact that "there will likely be a vegetarian option on the JFK-LAS leg." Not sure how that slipped by in your whole logical progression

travelkid Aug 15, 2011 10:01 am

Anyone tried kosher with SK?

TWA884 Aug 15, 2011 11:16 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 16925776)
I dispute the fact that "there will likely be a vegetarian option on the JFK-LAS leg." Not sure how that slipped by in your whole logical progression

Once again, let me refer you to 1/4MM@20's post:

Neither 1/4MM@20 nor I ever wrote that a kosher or vegetarian special meal is available on a non-stop flight from JFK to LAS. In first class, AA offers a fruit and cereal option for breakfast and a choice of meals the rest of the day. One of the options is very often a meatless pasta dish or a cheese enchilada, both of which many vegetarians will eat.

1/4MM@20 suggested that the OP could order a kosher meal, in first or business class, on the New York to Los Angeles leg, if he were to route him/herself JFK-LAX-LAS.

You incorrectly asserted that "ANY SPMLs are available on AA for domestic flights is in F/C on transcon flights." I corrected you by directing you to the AA.com webpage that states that special meals are available in first and business classes on transcontinental flights in the U.S.

joshwex90 Aug 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 16928192)
<snip>

While this conversation has clearly run its course and zero will be gained by continuing it...I know what I said and meant, and stand by it; you know what you said...

Small point though:

F/C, as I wrote it means First/Business, same as your correction of First and Business. If I had meant just First Class, I would've only written F, or even FC. Not F/C.

TWA884 Aug 16, 2011 9:50 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 16931964)
... you know what you said...

...that American offers a meatless selection as one of the available entree choices on almost all of flights where a meal or a snack is served in First Class.

On recent flights the selections included stuffed shells in tomato sauce, penne pasta with artichoke, cheese pizza, cheese enchilada and salmon.

craz Aug 16, 2011 10:15 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 16935005)
...that American offers a meatless selection as one of the available entree choices on almost all of flights where a meal or a snack is served in First Class.

On recent flights the selections included stuffed shells in tomato sauce, penne pasta with artichoke, cheese pizza, cheese enchilada and salmon.

well to a person who keeps kosher this is not an alternative, nor to a vegan or some who are vegetarian. but will work for a person who doesnt want meat/chickhen

TWA884 Aug 16, 2011 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 16935172)
well to a person who keeps kosher this is not an alternative, nor to a vegan or some who are vegetarian. but will work for a person who doesnt want meat/chickhen

I never insinuated those selections to be appropriate for strict kashrut adherents. I was merely following up on 1/4MM@20's post:

craz Aug 16, 2011 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 16935650)
I never insinuated those selections to be appropriate for strict kashrut adherents. I was merely following up on 1/4MM@20's post:

but you quoted joshwex90 who was talking about KSML, not important my pt was that those foods you mentioned wont be acceptable to numerous people and would be OK only to someone that didnt want any meat or to some vegetarians who will eat dairy products or eggs or fish

one would think that any Carrier would serve any Special meal up front since most likely that person either purchased a FC tkt or Y fare and for the few that get their miles anyway but flying its too few that it wont really affect the bottom line ,IMO. That said most likely the Carrier will be receiving more $$ then if that person was flying in the back of the bus on a paid tkt. 50k for a Dom FC tkt x what .01 - .015 cpm selling the miles means anywhere from $500-750 coming in. and 1 less FC seat going as an UP that will bring in $0

TWA884 Aug 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 16936097)
but you quoted joshwex90 who was talking about KSML...

Snipping the complete texts of my messages to which he was replying made them appear out of context. Please refer to my post above (186).

There are different levels of Kashrut observance. I fully appreciate that there are many like you who eat only "Kasher leMehadrin." However, outside their home, many modern orthodox and conservative Jews will eat food that is not certified kosher so long as it does not contain meat or seafood.

I did not mean to engage in a Talmudic discussion. So this is it from me on the subject.