Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radisson SAS Plaza, Oslo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2008, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Radisson SAS Plaza, Oslo

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? I plan on redeeming a Global Free Night certificate at this hotel for a stay in late May (leading up to my OSL-SVO-HKG SU run). It looks to be centrally located and a fairly decent hotel. Shame that Oslo has no SPG, HHonors, or Sofitel properties, though (my other primary programs).
Old Apr 4, 2008, 3:03 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Large business hotel, busy, consistent and comfortable. Rather impersonal, but OK - considered by Norwegians to be a very "American" hotel. Lots of convention business. Radisson SAS Hotels in Europe are a notch up from US Radissons (four stars, not three stars). It's not in my favourite part of Oslo (I prefer the Radisson Scandinavia, even though more run down) or the very modern Nydalen. But for an award stay, I wouldn't mind staying there at all.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ksu
Large business hotel, busy, consistent and comfortable. Rather impersonal, but OK - considered by Norwegians to be a very "American" hotel. Lots of convention business. Radisson SAS Hotels in Europe are a notch up from US Radissons (four stars, not three stars). It's not in my favourite part of Oslo (I prefer the Radisson Scandinavia, even though more run down) or the very modern Nydalen. But for an award stay, I wouldn't mind staying there at all.
Thanks for the response. I'm hoping Radisson Gold counts for something at this hotel, but am not holding my breath (especially on a Global Free Night Cert. Stay). Then again, Radisson Gold is well-nigh worthless, IMO.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
i will be in Oslo for a few weeks for work in June and leaning towards joining the Radisson GP program while I'm there since none of the big 4 are there.

This would be one of my choices if its somewhat close to my office (which I have to figure out where it is)

would love to hear your review Anglo
Old Apr 11, 2008, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
i will be in Oslo for a few weeks for work in June and leaning towards joining the Radisson GP program while I'm there since none of the big 4 are there.

This would be one of my choices if its somewhat close to my office (which I have to figure out where it is)

would love to hear your review Anglo
I'll be sure to post one after I get back. With any luck, I may have a new DSLR camera by then, so may have some decent photos as well.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
I'll be sure to post one after I get back. With any luck, I may have a new DSLR camera by then, so may have some decent photos as well.
that would be awesome as well

plus any other "what to do" hints would be most welcome as well LOL
Old Apr 11, 2008, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

that would be awesome as well

plus any other "what to do" hints would be most welcome as well LOL
I've only got one day in OSL. From what I gather, though, that should be plenty. In the past, I've visited Bergen, Vik/Flam, Geirangerfjord, Trondheim, Tromso, and Honningsvag...but I've never been to Oslo. I found all of those places to be incredible, and would definitely like to spend more time in Bergen and the fjordy bits. However, I've heard that Oslo is the most "missable" and boring of the Scandinavian Capitals. It'll do as a stepping stone to Moscow and Hong Kong, though
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:17 am

seeking info on SAS Scandinavia

OK, just found out that I'll be at the Radisson SAS Scandinavia

Is anyone on here able to tell me the difference between:

Standard/Superior/Business Class rooms?

I don't have any status (although am considering a status match since I'll put 15 to 19 nights here on this trip)
Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:00 am

Programs: Eurobonus (*G)
OK, just found out that I'll be at the Radisson SAS Scandinavia

Is anyone on here able to tell me the difference between:

Standard/Superior/Business Class rooms?

I don't have any status (although am considering a status match since I'll put 15 to 19 nights here on this trip)
Do not know about Superior, but Business Class room will give you free breakfast, newspaper (Norwegian), free pay per view, slippers, robe and Nescafe machine in the room. Probably also nice view.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Chriscross
Do not know about Superior, but Business Class room will give you free breakfast, newspaper (Norwegian), free pay per view, slippers, robe and Nescafe machine in the room. Probably also nice view.
Re BC > any idea if the room is much larger?

so i take it the basic rate does not include b/f?
are any moview in English?
What is a Nescafe machine (LOL but I have no idea)
Old Apr 29, 2008, 2:21 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Some things to know about the SAS Plaza in Oslo:

It's a short walk by pedestrian bridge to the Oslo Sentral (Main) Railway station where you take the train out to Gardemoen.

It's nearby to Tram and Tunnel Bane (Subway) stops.

It was not built by SAS or Radisson SAS, but by a company who's name escapes me now (Marco Polo?). Thus it has a somewhat different interior that one might find at an SAS hotel, but it is still very nice.

Be sure to ride the glass elevator to the bar at the top.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 5:58 pm

thanks for the update

sounds like its centrally located which is good (if I'm correct that is)

Originally Posted by HeHateY
Some things to know about the SAS Plaza in Oslo:

It's a short walk by pedestrian bridge to the Oslo Sentral (Main) Railway station where you take the train out to Gardemoen.

It's nearby to Tram and Tunnel Bane (Subway) stops.

It was not built by SAS or Radisson SAS, but by a company who's name escapes me now (Marco Polo?). Thus it has a somewhat different interior that one might find at an SAS hotel, but it is still very nice.

Be sure to ride the glass elevator to the bar at the top.
Old May 3, 2008, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, SK Gold
The Oslo Plaza is known for its high prices and being situated in the area with the highest concentration of concrete in Norway (some big dams excluded )

The area is rather seedy at night, so I would watch my back or take a cab if I were to go outside alone at night.
Old May 5, 2008, 4:04 am

what would one consider a reasonable rate for this place in June?
Old May 6, 2008, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, SK Gold
what would one consider a reasonable rate for this place in June?
Do you mean for the Plaza in particular or hotels in Oslo in general?

I see that the Plaza averages $375 all-in for their standard rooms in June, a bit too expensive in my opinion.

Let me also introduce you to my favorite in the Norwegian capital, Clarion Collection Gabelshus (part of Choice hotels, smaller hotel located in Oslo's posh embassy district of Frogner, a brisk stroll or 5 minute cab ride from the city centre) averages $210 all-in:

http://choicehotelseurope.com/hotels/hotel?hotel=NO094

If you prefer to stay with Radisson, I would choose the Scandinavia over the Plaza because of the far better location, but YMMV. Plaza is like others have pointed out very close to the Central station (including the Airport Express Train to OSL).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.