Search

Park Inn - does it get any worse?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Park Inn - does it get any worse?

I’m sure others have noticed the dramatic increase in nightly rates. Normally, I would book a Hilton or IHG property. But traveling Independence Day weekend and needing 2 rooms at a stop in Albany Georgia, I downgraded to a Park Inn. We were tired and sick (COVID) and just needed a break from the road.

My first room was a disaster. The stink of cigarette smoke was intense - nonsmoking property allegedly. I explained to the desk that the room was not going to work and was given another down the hall.

1. The door looked like it had been kicked in. The door barely latched. The door to the room next to it looked like it had been kicked in as well.
2. The wall mirror was missing. Just empty brackets.
3. The bathroom was freshly caulked. Not just the seams. There was caulk everywhere. Gobs of it.
4. The need for caulk became apparent. It was the only thing holding the tub faucet to the wall and the toilet roll holder and towel bar as well.
5. Dying roach on the bathroom floor in the morning.
6. Hair on the pillow. Not mine.

I completed a survey when I got home. I got a boilerplate response from an assistant manager.

I don’t recall ever staying at a Park Inn before. It had a 8.1/10.0 rating on several booking websites. Is this par for the course? And where do you normally stay if this is an 8.1?

On the way back, we paid twice the price for a Hilton Garden Inn after canceling a return stay at the Park Inn. It wasnt worth the price but at least the roaches stayed hidden.

Last edited by BamaVol; Jul 7, 2022 at 1:04 pm
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I don’t think I have ever stayed at a Park Inn in the US, but in Europe the (few) ones I tried were good quality and value.

My recent Country Inn and Suites experience in the US wasn’t great, though.
nickknock1 and flospi like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I don’t think I have ever stayed at a Park Inn in the US, but in Europe the (few) ones I tried were good quality and value.

There's one in suburban Minneapolis that some people on FT have used when there was a promo involving the brand. It looks OK.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

My previous experience with a since-rebranded Radisson in HSV was outstanding. I’ve had stays at Country Inn & Suites that were okay. They don’t stand out, but there was nothing amiss. I will say that they’ve always been relatively new properties. If I was a Radisson employee, I would be ashamed of this particular Park Inn. And it was bad enough that I will never step foot in another one. On the wall by the front desk, ownership was attributed to HariKrishna Corporation. I will walk, no run, from any future property I step into with identical ownership.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Hope you left a suitable review on Google, too. the CI&S that I stayed at was clearly an older property and looked and felt very tired. I have previously had good experiences with that brand.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I had some Park Inn stays in Europe and elsewhere outside of the US that were acceptable enough. They seemed to have owners who weren’t in the business to let things run down and avoid further investment. I wish I could say the same thing about some of the Radisson stays I had in the US which left me with the impression that US Radisson properties should generally be considered downmarket unless and until otherwise demonstrated.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:22 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Stayed at a Park Inn in Chandler, AZ once. Clearly a debranded early 90's Courtyard. Outdated and run down. I think it later got Radisson branding. I see it is now a Doubletree... looks like it has been heavily remodeled and might be an okay conversion... As Park Inn, it was sort of a Ramada-level experience. Run down and not great.

There was a second Park Inn somewhere north of Phoenix. Not sure what came of it. I think it was an exterior corridor property.

The worst branding of Park Inn was a somewhat short lived one in Fresno, CA. This property was an old old something, was a Four Points by Sheraton for many years, in a very dangerous neighborhood, before turning into Park Inn. I think it is unbranded now. The property was like a compound yet there were still car break ins...

Last edited by storewanderer; Jul 6, 2022 at 9:32 pm
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
As others have chimed in, I would book a Park Inn in Europe without hesitation based on past experiences. That being said since the brand is not well known in the US and since Radisson US likely is not as strict at enforcing the brand standards most properties have in Europe.....I would not think about booking one in the US and would likely have booked a CI&S.

Originally Posted by BamaVol
We were tired and sick (COVID) and just needed a break from the road.
On another note, why would you be traveling and staying at a hotel and likely exposing other guest and staff to COVID if you were sick with COVID as you say?
notquiteaff and arollins like this.

Last edited by christianj; Jul 7, 2022 at 10:41 am
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christianj
On another note, why would you be traveling and staying at a hotel and likely exposing other guest and staff to COVID if you were sick with COVID as you say?
The travel was necessary or we wouldn’t have undertaken it. We were 6 days past initial symptoms and testing positive. The CDC recommends isolating for 5. Doesn’t mean we felt great. We took every precaution we could; masking, sanitizing, gloves, distancing.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Stayed at a Park Inn in Chandler, AZ once. Clearly a debranded early 90's Courtyard. Outdated and run down. I think it later got Radisson branding. I see it is now a Doubletree... looks like it has been heavily remodeled and might be an okay conversion... As Park Inn, it was sort of a Ramada-level experience. Run down and not great.

There was a second Park Inn somewhere north of Phoenix. Not sure what came of it. I think it was an exterior corridor property.

The worst branding of Park Inn was a somewhat short lived one in Fresno, CA. This property was an old old something, was a Four Points by Sheraton for many years, in a very dangerous neighborhood, before turning into Park Inn. I think it is unbranded now. The property was like a compound yet there were still car break ins...
I found a map online that showed this Albany Ga property was previously a Best Western. I don’t hesitate to book a BW in Europe. I am much more cautious in the US. More so than Radisson apparently.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
As others have said I've had good experiences at Park Inns in Europe (Luxembourg City and Oslo Airport) and I'd happily return to those. The one time I stayed at a Park Inn in the US was in Toledo, OH and it was very similar to the OP's experience.

The hotel was later converted into a homeless shelter during COVID. That should tell you a lot.
BamaVol likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OP Here. Just to add insult to injury, I received my credit card bill today and I was charged for 3 rooms. I’m guessing that rather than move me from the first disaster, they booked the replacement as a new room.

Disputed with Chase. They have 10 days to disagree or issue a credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.