Wiki Posts
Search

Best hotel in London for a couple - 1 night

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Best hotel in London for a couple - 1 night

Hi,

We have managed to book the mother-in-law to babysit the children for a night in November. For 24 hours we will be pretending that we are carefree and young again. Given that in reality we are boring and grown-up the romance has already disappeared as I am looking to book the hotel on points. I would be very grateful for any suggestions on the best Radisson Rewards hotel for a single night in central London. In case it makes any difference I am a gold member.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
All the Park Plazas in London are nice. My favourite is Westminster Bridge for location, good sized rooms ans good breakfast. Radisson in Canary Wharf is also quite nice. Please avoid Mayfair, they dont do upgrades even to concierge level members and rooms are tiny. As I understand if you stay on points you would get the worst rooms possible with nowhere to turn and no daylight view. Radisson Edwardians are very old and tiny rooms with no soundproofing as most are converted properties of an old age. Hope that helps.
CoweyB likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:02 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm going to give a contrarian view about the Mayfair. We've had great stays there with nice upgrades. We also are gold. like staying in Mayfair where it's easy to walk to several places of interest.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm going to give a contrarian view about the Mayfair. We've had great stays there with nice upgrades. We also are gold. like staying in Mayfair where it's easy to walk to several places of interest.
SanDiego - did you stay on points?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:16 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by dimon84
SanDiego - did you stay on points?
Yes, three or four times.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
All the Park Plazas in London are nice. My favourite is Westminster Bridge for location, good sized rooms ans good breakfast. Radisson in Canary Wharf is also quite nice. Please avoid Mayfair, they dont do upgrades even to concierge level members and rooms are tiny. As I understand if you stay on points you would get the worst rooms possible with nowhere to turn and no daylight view. Radisson Edwardians are very old and tiny rooms with no soundproofing as most are converted properties of an old age. Hope that helps.
I have had good room assignments/upgrades with the Mayfair on my bookings using Radisson Rewards/Club Carlson points, as a Gold. But my stays there are all one-night or two-night stays. The rooms I've been given haven't been tiny, but they haven't been suites either. I find the hotel location super-convenient. While the hotel is pretty popular as a hotel for the professional services/investment firms with offices in the area, that doesn't seem to have adversely impacted my room assingments; as far as I could figure out, I've had better rooms than most of the rooms given to my associates staying there on regular paid rates at the same time as I.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:17 am

GUWonder and SanDiego, thanks for info on Mayfair, I will give them another try then.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
If you go for Westminster Bridge, note that some rooms have internal view, so make sure to book higher category to get outside view.

To be honest, I found RHG properties in London disappointing. Hard product is usually nice but I've never encountered truly good service.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by the810
If you go for Westminster Bridge, note that some rooms have internal view, so make sure to book higher category to get outside view.

To be honest, I found RHG properties in London disappointing. Hard product is usually nice but I've never encountered truly good service.
Can't agree more. Park plazas at least have modern feel, Edwardians are just mediocre.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
GUWonder and SanDiego, thanks for info on Mayfair, I will give them another try then.
I did forget to note one key thing about my experiences at this hotel. While I was always seemingly upgraded to larger rooms, the rooms were usually ones with poor or unusual views with limited sunlight coming in from outside. Sure I've sometimes had rooms at other hotels in London where I enjoyed the view from my room's windows and got a lot more natural sunlight, but this is not one of those hotels. But that hasn't put me off from this hotel. And for a couple looking to explore London and only use their room for relaxing off-hours, it's been perfectly fine in my experience. It could be that his hotel tends to treat apparent couples better when assigning rooms at check-in than the random single business gal/guy checking in alone with like Radisson/Carlson hotel status -- and that would be a good thing IMO.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'm certainly one of the data points that says a Gold member on points gets a low floor room with no view at the Mayfair. For a special occasion it certainly would be a risky choice, although it of course is walking distance from many West End theatres, etc. and that might far more important than the room size/quality itself...
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! I have taken a punt with the Mayfair. It was a tough call with Westminster Bridge. It is only one night and so being walking distance to some places of interest to us tipped the balance. Fingers crossed on any upgrade.

Thanks again.
dimon84 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I stayed at the Westminster Bridge last year with an interior view. It is still very nice and had a lovely view directly out through the very tall atrium to the Bridge. Fantastic location - I can't really stress this enough. Excellent transport connections for sightseeing or grabbing the Tube to Canary Wharf for meetings.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by mallangong
Thank you everyone! I have taken a punt with the Mayfair. It was a tough call with Westminster Bridge. It is only one night and so being walking distance to some places of interest to us tipped the balance. Fingers crossed on any upgrade.

Thanks again.
How did it go?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.