Search

G&V Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:33 am
J_B
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Club Carlson Gold, Best Western Platinum, Bodean's Q-Card
G&V Edinburgh

Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster.

I've done a search but can't find much on this hotel. Has anyone stayed there? I have a points booking coming up - normally there is no way I'd use 70k points per night but I'm going for the festival and the cash prices are insane everywhere.

Also, has anyone got any experience of CC status benefits? I assume that CC status recognition won't be great given that it has only joined CC recently and they can use it being a peak time as an excuse. Thanks.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
I've stayed there many times. Always had some measure of upgrade as a Carlson Concierge. In room water and fruit, sometimes other niceties. Staff are very friendly. Decor is distinctive.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
Nice large boutique hotel and fantastic location. Worth the 70K for the festival if you can book it, I'd think. You're right on the upper end of the Royal Mile, very close to castle, and not far down hill to Grassmarket on one side and to New Town on the other side. As gold, we received the usual small plate of treats but nothing else special. Breakfast was too expensive for us to try.
BTW if you have a car, you might consider the Radisson further down the Royal Mile, because they have a car park (12.50 pounds per day). If not, buses are everywhere, and a lot of things are within an easy (if hilly) walk.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:04 pm

We just stayed 4 nights in radisson blu. I booked it with the US bank certs. Was told upgrade was not available when we checked in because the hotel was pretty full. We asked about breakfast and was denied. We asked to talk to a manager about it and was given free breakfast since both me and dh are gold. (We asked because we were just given breakfast by front desk agent of radisson blu Berlin due to no possibility of upgrade, without us asking). This perk is really convenient for our daughter. Breakfast was ok. Hot item included sausage, very har/ chewy Canadian bacon, scrambled eggs, haggis/blood sausage, beans/mushrooms , and kind of soggy hash brown. You can order smoked salmon egg Benedict and hot cereal from the waitress too. There are different variety of pastry/bread, cereal, yogurt, and fruit.
I believed we got some kind of upgrade from our original booking, even though they said they couldn't at Checkin. Our room was on a high floor over looking rooftops to the sea and Arthur's Seat. It felt newly renovated with nice modern decor and lighting. Room was not big but it's Europe. I can see there are many rooms facing the dark drabby interior courtyard which I'm glad we didn't have to stay in. Of course, the location is perfect. Overall had a great experience and would definitely return.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:20 pm

Stayed at the G&V for one night with my wife a few weeks ago. This was the first night of our 11 night trip to Scotland/Manchester/Ireland. Our trip was 4 nights in Edinburgh, 2 in Manchester with a friend, and 5 nights in Ireland (2 in Killarney and 3 in Dublin). In planning I wanted to use up my 200k+ points and one free night certificate, so debated whether to do that in Edinburgh or Dublin and decided to go Rad Blu in Dublin and one night at the G&V followed by three nights at the Sheraton Grand. I could have skipped the G&V and stayed all four nights in the Sheraton but wanted to get rid of my CC points.

Anyway we checked in early but our upgraded room wasn't ready yet so we went out to explore. The clerk who checked us in was extremely helpful and friendly throughout our stay. Two thumbs up for her. Our room was nice, certainly smaller than the Sheraton's rooms but to be expected based on the location. Strange that they only give two pillows, we had to ask for two more. The location was excellent. When we switched to the Sheraton, we both commented that the G&V had a superior location. Breakfast wasn't included so we got it the next morning...it was extremely crowded and understaffed. The hostess was overwhelmed by the crowd. We finally got a table and put our stuff down before going up to the buffet. After getting some food we returned to see our table covered in dirty dishes! Fortunately we were able to get reseated. The food was pretty disappointing. Basically the entire spread was cold items (breads, cheeses, fruits). Any hot items you needed to order which cost an extra 5 pound. Definitely overpriced for the chaotic breakfast experience. The breakfast at the Sheraton was excellent on the other hand which helped make up for the inferior location.

Overall the G&V was a good property though, service was good although not to the level of a Park Hyatt/Ritz Carlton/Four Seasons. I'm not quite sure what to make of the Quorvus brand...are they trying to be like those brands or more of an upscale boutique hotel?

I'd stay here again if the price is right for the location alone. However I do think there's probably a few better options in town, mainly the Sheraton among chain properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.