Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club Carlson Credit Card Free Night

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA ExP
I've looked through a bunch of threads, but can't find the answer.

Is it possible to book multiple rooms (3x rooms for my whole family in this case) for a two night stay using the Credit Card's last night free stay out of the same account?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: all
i believe only one room is allowed
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Along those lines- i'm going to need 2 rooms to accomodate my family. I was wondering if my wife and I both have the CC in our own names, we could each book a room with our points for the same 2 nights, and both get the second two rooms free? (ie- I assume the hotel doesnt care if you're traveling together, if the rooms are booked out of seperate accounts, and each account holder has their own credit card?)
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: SAA, DL, BA, UA, IHG, SPG
That would be fine so long as both you and your wife are present to check in to the respective rooms (it will only allow you to make the last night free award reservation in the cardholders name).
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:12 pm

Can I book at a hotel on April 1st to 3rd using the free awards night then use the free awards night again at the SAME hotel one week later , say from April 8th to 10th?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by metoo
Can I book at a hotel on April 1st to 3rd using the free awards night then use the free awards night again at the SAME hotel one week later , say from April 8th to 10th?

yes
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by metoo
As long as they are not consecutive days at the same hotel, you're fine. You can even stay 4/4-4/6 in this scenario. If you're in a city for a week+, I'd just switch hotels on 4/3 and use the free night option again at a different location.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by pantanal
when you make a booking with an account associated with the card, the redemption is automatically adjusted
pantanal - Can you give more details on exactly how this situation played out? What did you list in the reservation? What did the guests say upon check-in? Did the front desk need to see anything (like club carlson CC) or did they ask any probing questions?

I ask because I'm planning to book several hotel stays throughout europe this summer for my in-laws as a gift. I will not be traveling but I would still like to take advantage of the free night. I understand the T&Cs state that this is not supposed to be possible if I'm not traveling. If I make the reservation in my name and list them as additional guests with a note that they will be "checking in before me", will this suffice? My concern is my in-laws are very straight laced people and will not stretch the truth at all if they are asked probing questions at check-in. If they are questioned at all and the hotel figures out I'm not staying will the hotel cancel the entire reservation or will they simply charge the additional night of points? The last thing I want to happen is for them to get to Europe and be denied hotel rooms, but I have to weight that risk against the 300K points I might save if the free night could be utilized.

Any thoughts, suggestions or instructions, anyone?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:39 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by creedcb
If I make the reservation in my name and list them as additional guests with a note that they will be "checking in before me" [...] My concern is my in-laws [...] will not stretch the truth at all if they are asked probing questions at check-in. [...] I have to weight that risk against the 300K points I might save
Of course it might work with no questions asked, but do you really want to risk putting your in-laws in an uncomfortable position on six or more occasions and coming to regard you as a cheapskate (at best) or dishonest (at worst)? Helping your in-laws have a great trip by giving them some hotel nights is a lovely idea, but if they're the upstanding people you describe then this might not be the best approach.

You'd also need to avoid CC hotels yourself during their travel period, of course. @:-)
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by creedcb
pantanal - Can you give more details on exactly how this situation played out? What did you list in the reservation? What did the guests say upon check-in? Did the front desk need to see anything (like club carlson CC) or did they ask any probing questions?

I ask because I'm planning to book several hotel stays throughout europe this summer for my in-laws as a gift. I will not be traveling but I would still like to take advantage of the free night. I understand the T&Cs state that this is not supposed to be possible if I'm not traveling. If I make the reservation in my name and list them as additional guests with a note that they will be "checking in before me", will this suffice? My concern is my in-laws are very straight laced people and will not stretch the truth at all if they are asked probing questions at check-in. If they are questioned at all and the hotel figures out I'm not staying will the hotel cancel the entire reservation or will they simply charge the additional night of points? The last thing I want to happen is for them to get to Europe and be denied hotel rooms, but I have to weight that risk against the 300K points I might save if the free night could be utilized.

Any thoughts, suggestions or instructions, anyone?
Why can't your in-laws get the Club Carlson card for themselves? Then you can transfer points to them (if needed) and make the reservations from their account(s). Problem solved.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Does anyone know how long after you are approved for the credit card the free night starts appearing when you try to book in your Club Carlson account?

UPDATE: In my case it took 9 days after account approval.

Last edited by Majikow; Feb 7, 2014 at 3:35 pm Reason: update
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

was about a week approx
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by aviationwiz
That would be fine so long as both you and your wife are present to check in to the respective rooms (it will only allow you to make the last night free award reservation in the cardholders name).
This is contrary to the posts above yours where people said they were able to check in as the additional guest.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
This is contrary to the posts above yours where people said they were able to check in as the additional guest.
agreed..that's correct... third party redemption works
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
This is up to hotel and YMMV - i encountered a situation (at IC in europe) when a family member listed in notes with the same last name was denied checkin on a nontransferrable bonus night.
AFAIK Radisson BOGO is not transferable...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.