Search

Europe Ski Destination?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
Europe Ski Destination?

Hello All,

I am new to the "Club". My last projected had me in SPG properties for 300+ days over 2 years. New project has me in a Park Inn. I recently status matched to gold and have, for the most part, have had a good experience.

My wife and I are temporarily based in London (temp = 2 years) and we were big skiiers back in the US, going to vermont as many times as we could during winter. Since we are now in London we wanted to do some European skiing. Can anyone give use some recommendations to places that are on or close to mountains?

I will have about 100-120k points to use on this trip.

Thanks

Will
Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:22 am
Original Poster

The @ClubCarlson twitter team sent me this link

http://www.radissonblu.com/ski
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Thanks. This will also be usefull to plenty of others...! ^
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
The @ClubCarlson twitter team sent me this link

http://www.radissonblu.com/ski
Thanks, interesting stuff! It is pretty hard to find points earning options in European resorts, I hadn't looked for Club Carlson before.

I just had a look at Arc 1950, as that is probably the only resort I would consider of the options.
It appears you can only book Saturday - Saturday. It is 50k per night, so 350k for the week, which is outside the budget you mentioned. However at least you would earn a lot of points.
For those that have points, it looks like it would be a good value redemption during the peak skiing weeks, New Years Eve or February Half Term, when prices are over €300 per night. However personally I would never pay that much per night in a ski resort!!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Hmm, Looking at Lillehammer and we can do C&P for 10k points and about $110/night. Though, amazingly, I am already at 133k points. I am earning about 11k per week via work travel. 9 weeks left in the year should get me another 100k points plus whatever the current promo deposits in January.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: SK*G, TK*G, AB Silver (OW Ruby), SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I am obviously not aware of your financial situation, but when deciding about leisure travel, you might want to consider that Norway is an extremely expensive country. Other than that, Nordic countries have limited number of sunshine hours during winter months (I'm being on the PC side here :-)). I'm actually travelling to Norway rather often for work and I do like that place, but it's certainly not for the weather or the price levels.

France, Austria, Italy are common winter destinations but I have never heard of anyone going to Norway for skiing.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 1:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RealBud
I am obviously not aware of your financial situation, but when deciding about leisure travel, you might want to consider that Norway is an extremely expensive country. Other than that, Nordic countries have limited number of sunshine hours during winter months (I'm being on the PC side here :-)). I'm actually travelling to Norway rather often for work and I do like that place, but it's certainly not for the weather or the price levels.

France, Austria, Italy are common winter destinations but I have never heard of anyone going to Norway for skiing.
For downhill skiing in Europe, I wouldn't choose any of the Scandinavian countries for repeat skications when other options in Europe or the Americas are as convenient or perhaps even more convenient.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by RealBud

Exactly, not enough hours of daylight for downhill skiing in Norway. No idea about the apres and other resort stuff, but since it isn't a popular destination I doubt it is up to much?
Norway may be fine for cross country skiing, husky racing and skidos, but not for Downhill.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
How about Salzburg? You can book both Radisson Blu's on a 4-2-2 rate, but you would need to drive some 80km to the skiing places.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 4:29 am

Hmm, Looking at Lillehammer and we can do C&P for 10k points and about $110/night. Though, amazingly, I am already at 133k points. I am earning about 11k per week via work travel. 9 weeks left in the year should get me another 100k points plus whatever the current promo deposits in January.
Radisson in Lillehammer is quite bad. That's why it's only 10k points.

If it's Norway you are looking at; check Trysil; they have a Park Inn and Radisson Blu. The latter is the easiest to reach, 2,5 hours bus ride directly from Oslo airport.

Trysil is also norway's largest skiing resort with a whopping 65 km of slopes...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the pointers. I just read a bunch of the reviews for Lillehammer and they are pretty bad. What about the new addition to the list in the Ukraine

http://www.radissonblu.com/resort-bukovel
Set in the stunning Carpathian Mountains, in Western Ukraine, the sleek and contemporary, 252-roomed Radisson Blu Resort, Bukovel offers top-end European style ski facilities with fantastic ski runs tailored to suit every level of experience – plus a lavish 2,000-square-metres Spa & Wellness Complex to pamper guests off piste. Enjoying sensational mountain views, this resort property gives instant access to the slopes: Ski Lift 7 is right outside the resort’s front door. Close to the charming village of Polyanytsya, the Radisson Blu Resort, Bukovel offers the ultimate getaway for nature lovers, adventure seekers and snow sports fans.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Looks like we could do Trysil for the 4-2-2 rate (about $320 total or 500NOK/night)

Then we could use points to tack on 1 or two more nights for 44k/night.

Not married to norway, but it seems to have good availability. ARC 1950 look amazing, but with limited point options it is a bit pricey.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Looks like we could do Trysil for the 4-2-2 rate (about $320 total or 500NOK/night)

Not married to norway, but it seems to have good availability. ARC 1950 look amazing, but with limited point options it is a bit pricey.
The Trysil hotel is modern and a pretty nice proporty (I've been there with my family for skiing). There's a direct 2 hour bus from OSL.

The hotel is ski in/out, and in late march you'll have plenty of daylight, but it can still be very cold. Apart from the lower temperature, the slopes are also more limited than most alpine areas, and are ideal for intermediate skiers, not super-advanced.

Also please note the the price of groceries and restaurant meals is very high in Norway, so if you expect to eat out a lot, bring lots of money.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 6:39 am

Thanks for the pointers. I just read a bunch of the reviews for Lillehammer and they are pretty bad. What about the new addition to the list in the Ukraine

http://www.radissonblu.com/resort-bukovel
Have you looked into how easy it is to get there? Quite a bit further afield than France/Italy/Austria.

I've no idea what skiing is like in Ukraine, but my experience of Ukraine is that while food & beverages are cheap, any luxury items tend to be very expensive as they are mostly aimed at tourists or the mega rich.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by britbronco22
Have you looked into how easy it is to get there? Quite a bit further afield than France/Italy/Austria.

I've no idea what skiing is like in Ukraine, but my experience of Ukraine is that while food & beverages are cheap, any luxury items tend to be very expensive as they are mostly aimed at tourists or the mega rich.
The hotel has a perfect location in the middle of Bukovel - the best ski resort in Ukraine. Can be a bit boring for one week, but for 3-5 days - perfect choice. The hotel is also very nice and completely new - it was opened this autumn. The only problem is, that Bukovel is quite hardly reachable - nearest airport is Ivano-Frankivsk (2 hours drive), but there is usually only one daily flight to Kiev, nothing more...

So, good hotel in a good place, but in the middle of nowhere

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.