Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego: Country Inn & Suites or Radisson

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2012, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold
San Diego: Country Inn & Suites or Radisson

I'll be headed to San Diego before too long. There are only two properties in the area. One is a Country Inn & Suites in the Mira Mesa area. The other is a Radisson around Ranch Bernardo. The Country Inn & Suites is closer to where I'll want to be, but the Radisson isn't that much farther away.

Without getting sidetracked by the Radisson Big Night Giveaway and SOGO promotions, which is the better stay?
Old May 15, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: AA, UA, SWA, CC
I've stayed at both properties, and its really a toss-up. Both were ok, in my opinion. The CI&S has a bit newer rooms and better breakfast. One of the downsides is that it is in a business suburbs area, so there isn't much access to other amenities in the immediate area. I think there were exactly two restaurants around, though one was an excellent Karl Strauss brewery. The Radisson is a bit older but had a better pool and was in a nice area. There are a few wineries nearby if you are into that kind of thing. There is a shopping center and a few restaurants nearby.

If you are going into downtown during peak hours, consider the traffic. Both routes are really gnarly, but if I had to gamble I'd take the 15 over the 5/805.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold
Originally Posted by craezie
If you are going into downtown during peak hours, consider the traffic. Both routes are really gnarly, but if I had to gamble I'd take the 15 over the 5/805.
Thanks for the input. Any idea which property has a better route to the airport early in the morning (8AM flight)?
Old May 18, 2012, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
Here is also a Hooters withing staggering distance of the Radisson.. if you are into that kind of thing.

As for which is better for your 8am flight, I figure you want to be at the airport about 1.5 hours before? If so, you will see some traffic on I15. The Radisson is an easy on to the 15 and it should take you about 30 min to get to the airport from there.

Not sure about the CI&S.
Old May 18, 2012, 3:59 pm
Community Director Emerita

Country Inn is 14 miles closer to the airport.

Radisson - just off I15 in Rancho Bernardo

Country Inn - just off I-805 in north San Diego Industrial Park area (near QUALCOMM headquarters, if that is meaningful to you)

map
Old May 23, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I stayed at both over the weekend, working on my reviews.

But in terms of your flight, the Country Inns is a better location - the onramp to 5South is after the 805/5 merge so you get to avoid that mess.

And coming down the 15 in the morning can be a nightmare, unless you can access the HOV lane (right off West Bernardo near the Radisson).
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:27 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Not a Good Stay!

Reviving an old thread with a review of a recent that did not go all that good!

To guarantee getting a suite on the top floor, booked an enhanced room package using 57K pts, plus received a free night for having CC Visa. Utilized the two account booking method and booked two 2-nights stays back to back for a total of 114K pts. for 4-nights in a suite on the top floor (Thursday thru Monday). Received same i.e. no further upgrade as apparently we got the best available room.

Upon arrival, a very nice lady at the front desk (FD) gave us a suite on the top floor, but because the AC was very noisy and I am a light sleeper, we were moved to an adjacent suite. The AC in the second suite was less noisy than the first one, but noisy nevertheless. As a Gold amenity, we were given basket that contained 2 Gatorade and 2 water bottles, 2 microwavable pop corn bags, and 2 little boxes of chocolate bonbons that were sent to our suite. Two certificates of BOGO entrees at their restaurant were also included that we did not use as the restaurant was closed over the weekend.

Rooms, carpets, and walls are in dire need for renovation/fresh coat of paint. Tired old furnishings. Small sized room with separate living and bedroom. Sofa turned into bed for our 2 little children. The small-size small bathroom is in between the living and the bedroom with shower above tub. Towels, paper tissues, etc. were all of the tough quality - nothing soft. The wierdest thing about the bathroom is as it is made for midgets - standing straight I couldn't see my face as the mirror's top is covered with these large pot lights! 7th floor top floor view of high rise and some hills. Housekeeping would knock on our door every morning at 8 AM, and yet the rooms were not cleaned until after 3 PM!!! Hallways were visibly soiled with strewn trash and worn carpets. Rooms were not cleaned thoroughly; my kids spilled some dry cereal in our room on the first day, and the crumbs were still noticeable when we checked out 4 days later! WIFI did not work in our suite and we reported it, was told that they will inform someone! The WIFI situation was never addressed.

Breakfast is included for all guests I believe. Offerings among other things scrambled eggs and waffle-making machine, but the choices were very limited and the food was very bland. The fried triangular potato hash were delicious and the salsa for dipping was available. Items were not replenished promptly. All day coffee & tea, lemon-infused cold water, and cookies in the afternoon all placed in the lobby area which was a nice touch.

Other than the nice FD lady at check in, the staff was aloof. We also had a problem when I was not at the room on Sunday afternoon, their maintenance man showed up uninvited at our room asking to repair the bathroom's low water pressure. My wife told him that the kids (ages 3 & 6 years) were showering, but he insisted and demanded access to the bathroom!!! This was much more a privacy violation. When I heard this, I reported it to the front desk. The maintenance man (who apparently doubles as bellman) overheard me and interjected himself rudely in my conversation with the FD. Rather than apologizing to end the matter, he doubled down falsely claiming that my wife gave him the okay!!! I walked away as I was with my kids and avoided a confrontation with this bully. The next morning before checking out, I reported the incident again to the front desk and as of yet I have not heard anything back from the property management. As such, this property is not recommended especially to families with children!

Location: Nestled between a Hyatt House and HIX next to Chili's Restaurant, this property is in the middle of nowhere for sightseeing. 16 miles to Seaworld, 17 miles to downtown San Diego, 21 miles to Legoland, 22 miles to Coronado or Safari Park, etc. You will definitely need a car to get around.

More photos can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...57646846971547

Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Reviving an old thread with a review of a recent that did not go all that good!

To guarantee getting a suite on the top floor, booked an enhanced room package using 57K pts, plus received a free night for having CC Visa. Utilized the two account booking method and booked two 2-nights stays back to back for a total of 114K pts. for 4-nights in a suite on the top floor (Thursday thru Monday). Received same i.e. no further upgrade as apparently we got the best available room.

Upon arrival, a very nice lady at the front desk (FD) gave us a suite on the top floor, but because the AC was very noisy and I am a light sleeper, we were moved to an adjacent suite. The AC in the second suite was less noisy than the first one, but noisy nevertheless. As a Gold amenity, we were given basket that contained 2 Gatorade and 2 water bottles, 2 microwavable pop corn bags, and 2 little boxes of chocolate bonbons that were sent to our suite. Two certificates of BOGO entrees at their restaurant were also included that we did not use as the restaurant was closed over the weekend.

Rooms, carpets, and walls are in dire need for renovation/fresh coat of paint. Tired old furnishings. Small sized room with separate living and bedroom. Sofa turned into bed for our 2 little children. The small-size small bathroom is in between the living and the bedroom with shower above tub. Towels, paper tissues, etc. were all of the tough quality - nothing soft. The wierdest thing about the bathroom is as it is made for midgets - standing straight I couldn't see my face as the mirror's top is covered with these large pot lights! 7th floor top floor view of high rise and some hills. Housekeeping would knock on our door every morning at 8 AM, and yet the rooms were not cleaned until after 3 PM!!! Hallways were visibly soiled with strewn trash and worn carpets. Rooms were not cleaned thoroughly; my kids spilled some dry cereal in our room on the first day, and the crumbs were still noticeable when we checked out 4 days later! WIFI did not work in our suite and we reported it, was told that they will inform someone! The WIFI situation was never addressed.

Breakfast is included for all guests I believe. Offerings among other things scrambled eggs and waffle-making machine, but the choices were very limited and the food was very bland. The fried triangular potato hash were delicious and the salsa for dipping was available. Items were not replenished promptly. All day coffee & tea, lemon-infused cold water, and cookies in the afternoon all placed in the lobby area which was a nice touch.

Other than the nice FD lady at check in, the staff was aloof. We also had a problem when I was not at the room on Sunday afternoon, their maintenance man showed up uninvited at our room asking to repair the bathroom's low water pressure. My wife told him that the kids (ages 3 & 6 years) were showering, but he insisted and demanded access to the bathroom!!! This was much more a privacy violation. When I heard this, I reported it to the front desk. The maintenance man (who apparently doubles as bellman) overheard me and interjected himself rudely in my conversation with the FD. Rather than apologizing to end the matter, he doubled down falsely claiming that my wife gave him the okay!!! I walked away as I was with my kids and avoided a confrontation with this bully. The next morning before checking out, I reported the incident again to the front desk and as of yet I have not heard anything back from the property management. As such, this property is not recommended especially to families with children!

Location: Nestled between a Hyatt House and HIX next to Chili's Restaurant, this property is in the middle of nowhere for sightseeing. 16 miles to Seaworld, 17 miles to downtown San Diego, 21 miles to Legoland, 22 miles to Coronado or Safari Park, etc. You will definitely need a car to get around.

More photos can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...57646846971547

I'm not being a smartass here, just curious: why did you book in Mira Mesa if this was a sightseeing trip? You had a stash of CC points?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by djtsukasa
I'm not being a smartass here, just curious: why did you book in Mira Mesa if this was a sightseeing trip? You had a stash of CC points?
We had plenty of of Club Carlson points (490K) plus the gold status. The trip was for my kid's 6th birthday as he wanted to see Legoland. We spent two days at Legoland and the rest at USS Midway, Downtown Gaslamp District, Mount Soledad, and the drive back & forth home to Orange County.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
We had plenty of of Club Carlson points (490K) plus the gold status. The trip was for my kid's 6th birthday as he wanted to see Legoland. We spent two days at Legoland and the rest at USS Midway, Downtown Gaslamp District, Mount Soledad, and the drive back & forth home to Orange County.
Aa. Well that makes more sense, especially if you're from around the corner in Orange county.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by djtsukasa
Aa. Well that makes more sense, especially if you're from around the corner in Orange county.
We also needed a suite which was offered at this property on points but not at the Radisson Rancho Bernardo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.