Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 Carlson properties in Cape Town

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by APPL
Stayed in Park Inn Foreshore last week.
As a Gold, I got room upgrade, and welcome snack (little cheese board), but no free breakfast. I think breakfast buffet was R120 or R140.
The rooftop bar has rather nice views, and there were always seats available while I was there.
They also offer free transfers in the area in their car on first come first served basis, but it was generally available most of the times when I needed it. Otherwise, uber is really cheap too.
Must have stayed there at the same time. My amenity was a tray of various nuts and dried fruit. Always seem to get the same suite which unfortunately does not overlook the street but rather the nondescript courtyard. Still the rooftop bar/lounge is indeed a most relaxing spot to pass a late afternoon or evening (the small pool is up there too) and offers a splendid view of Table Mountain and the southern hills. Room rates were quite high in January, I generally find them almost half what was on offer that month, which is why I find this an ideal spot for a couple of nights in the city. (My alternate is a block away at the Protea Foreshore (now a Marriott group property).
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by eethan
And any other benefits specifically at the Park Inn Foreshore?

I'm trying to use my boatload of CC points, but the HI Express CPT City Centre seems to be a much better deal on points, and it includes breakfast.
No comp breakfast for Gold or Concierge elites, though staff is so lax one could easily sneak in and out and enjoy the buffet without being presented with a bill or asked upon entry for a room number.

I actually stayed at both on my last visit in January, my first night on an award at the HIX on George's Mall, then the final two nights at the Park Inn. They're a short walk up the Mall from one another, the HIX being the second stop on the MyCiti 107 bus connection off the Airport Express. The PI is the first stop after the Civic Centre transit centre.

The HIX was fine and a good standard HIX, modern decor albeit compact room. Breakfast buffet was very European hotel like...possibly because the room was filled with Swiss and German tourists. Good location to visit the Company Gardens and its museums or do the club district along nearby Long Street. (There's a great craft beer bar on Long if you're interested in sampling South African brewery offerings. Good food too.)

The PI is closer to the RR station and its pretty safe to take the train down to Simons Town (and the penguins and Navy Museum). As noted, Uber is pretty reliable down there, so unless you want to wait for a MyCiti bus to the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront at a nearby stop at the Convention Centre, tap the app.

There's also a PI in Newlands but not much in that part of the city (other than the SABC brewery which does tours and offers lots of samples). Have stayed there for a night and it is well maintained and similar to the Foreshore property. It's a five minute walk to the RR station into the city or down to Simons Town.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Shareholder
No comp breakfast for Gold or Concierge elites, though staff is so lax one could easily sneak in and out and enjoy the buffet without being presented with a bill or asked upon entry for a room number.
No comp. breakfast for Concierge members?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
No comp. breakfast for Concierge members?
Forgot that was a benefit of the top tier...which I was on my first stay but just Gold on the past couple. Suppose I should claim back those breakfasts from three years ago!
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Radisson Blu Le Vendome

Has anyone stayed there recently?

Last year when we stayed there for 2 nights, hotel never mentioned a Super Breakfast Buffet was included for any room type.

Now when I am comparing it against various Protea properties, I notice the room details mentioned about Super Breakfast Buffet and 14% VAT are included, 1% City Levy is not included, under the 38K standard room selection.

In the hotel's web page, the Super Breakfast Buffet is part of the mentioning of At A Glance, as well as in the description of Standard Room.

Looking back at the old reservation email, it said under Rate Tyoe, Free Night was for Room Only.

I wonder if this is a new policy?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:58 am

Radisson RED V&A Waterfront Hotel is know accepting reservations for September. Just booked for December, since the Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town is currently unavailable for our dates.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I just noticed there's also a Radisson Blu Hotel & Residence (based on the downtown location I assume it's primarily targetted at business travellers).

So in total there are now six Carlson properties in Cape Town.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:16 pm

If one had to choose between the Radisson Red V&A Waterfront and the Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront hotels, which is a better option for a five night stay in Capetown?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Has anyone stayed there recently?

Last year when we stayed there for 2 nights, hotel never mentioned a Super Breakfast Buffet was included for any room type.

Now when I am comparing it against various Protea properties, I notice the room details mentioned about Super Breakfast Buffet and 14% VAT are included, 1% City Levy is not included, under the 38K standard room selection.

In the hotel's web page, the Super Breakfast Buffet is part of the mentioning of At A Glance, as well as in the description of Standard Room.

Looking back at the old reservation email, it said under Rate Tyoe, Free Night was for Room Only.

I wonder if this is a new policy?
When I stayed at La Vendome in February of this year on points, there was no mention of the free breakfast anytime in my booking, and I had no idea for sure if I' d have to pay for breakfast until I arrived there, but I wasn't charged for it. And I have zero Carlson status.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Experiences with the Radisson Red?

I'm considering booking it for a few days as a Radisson Gold (via Amex CC, I rarely stay at Radisson properties).
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I haven't stayed at RED in Cape Town, but based on my stays in two other locations, I was very disappointed with the concept. Their idea of offering millennial-friendly is throwing away many services and features that millennial don't want (which would be ok) but not replacing them with any new stuff (which is not ok) They are simply charging the same for less, in a hospital-like sterile design. From all hotel brands aimed at young people I've tried so far, this was the worst. Interestingly enough, I've been to Blus that were much more youth-friendly (Riverside Gothenburg is a prime example of how to do it).
1flyer likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The Radisson Red at the W&A Waterfront (actually it is 5 min walking from the main W&A strip) is new and funky. I have never stayed there but from outside and the lobby/reception area is seems to a very nice property.

I have stayed at the Radisson Blu Hotel & Residence a few times which is excellent. Breakfast is very good (I love their eggs florentine). Nice pool area (but the swimming pool is quiet small)
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by mrstraveler
If one had to choose between the Radisson Red V&A Waterfront and the Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront hotels, which is a better option for a five night stay in Capetown?
The Radisson Blu Waterfront is in a league of its own. More like a resort style hotel and far more expensive. Parking a rental car is easy (free street parking is possible). Still within an easy walk to the W&A Waterfront.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.