Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Radisson Rewards Program Major Devaluation 2023 Discussion [non Americas]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radisson Rewards Program Major Devaluation 2023 Discussion [non Americas]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: RadissonRewards Platinum
It also doesn't seem to make any difference whether Radisson would have announced the change to the program earlier, as rewards bookings that have already been made will not be honored and converted to the new system. For a booking over New Year's Eve, which I made in May with the Rewards Saver promotion, I am now supposed to pay the full points and an additional EUR 1200 ... for a booking in November, the full points and EUR 80.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by ___B___
It also doesn't seem to make any difference whether Radisson would have announced the change to the program earlier, as rewards bookings that have already been made will not be honored and converted to the new system. For a booking over New Year's Eve, which I made in May with the Rewards Saver promotion, I am now supposed to pay the full points and an additional EUR 1200 ... for a booking in November, the full points and EUR 80.
Is this the case? I have some upcoming bookings which would cost much more in cash.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
That can’t be legal can it? If it was booked at old rates they can’t just randomly increase it. That would be like increasing the cost of a paid stay.

At this point one has to wonder if they are trying to kill the program altogether.
kevino and arollins like this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, finished the remaining transfer and leaving 2 pts at EMEA so the account would take transfer in IF that last thru good part of 2023. Dont have any use for it this year. The IHG pts are much better - better hotel options, lower redemption cost, and so much easier to accumulate.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by christianj
That can’t be legal can it? If it was booked at old rates they can’t just randomly increase it. That would be like increasing the cost of a paid stay.
It would likely seem to be a violation of whatever contract they and the guest agreed to, but where are you going to complain, i.e., who is the regulator or in what venue do you sue?

I have 57k left in the non Americas program that I will repatriate, and then I am going to try to find a semi decent redemption for my 400k points. Any recommendation for a beach resort somewhere in the Americas that isn’t terrible? Florida seems to mostly have CI&S properties.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 1:18 am

I remember at marketing fella at one point putting out a rhetorical question in the line line of "what is the global hotel chains without their loyalty schemes?" Well, it seems like we have the answer.
Really not mutch.
christianj, notquiteaff and the810 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 4:50 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
If this is the case, they are apparantely determined to drive the whole chain into the ground, I can't see any other explanation.

As I don't visit Americas at all, I don't see any other option than to spend my points and say goodbye to Radisson (except few properties which I really like and am happy to choose even without perks).

I was considering moving the points to RR Americas, hoping that one day I'll be able to use them for Choice hotels in Europe after Radisson Americas moves to Choice, but that's too speculative and there's no guarantee that the value will be better.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 4:53 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Apparantely, if you change your Discount Booster settings, you will be blocked from booking a hotel for 48 hours. I keep getting the following error: "The selection was not possible because this profile was updated less than 48 hours ago". What the...?

They really just don't want people to stay with them. At this point I just hope that my favourite hotels will start reflagging and joining another chain soon.
britbronco22 and MrSnoot78 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Stil
I remember at marketing fella at one point putting out a rhetorical question in the line line of "what is the global hotel chains without their loyalty schemes?" Well, it seems like we have the answer.
Really not mutch.
Well, yeah. I don’t know how many properties Radisson actually owns, but if they are asset-light and mostly letting franchisers own and even operate the properties, they would, without a meaningful loyalty program, be nothing but a very limited hotel search engine. I think they will find that out soon

Even if they had a nice property in the perfect location for a competitive price somewhere I wanted to go, I would just book through hotels.com and earn their 10% in rewards.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by the810
Apparantely, if you change your Discount Booster settings, you will be blocked from booking a hotel for 48 hours. I keep getting the following error: "The selection was not possible because this profile was updated less than 48 hours ago". What the...?

They really just don't want people to stay with them. At this point I just hope that my favourite hotels will start reflagging and joining another chain soon.
Among the rather low standards for IT of airline and hospitality companies, Radisson is always setting the bar lower. If it wasn't for a documented multi-step hack/fix documented on FT to use my e-certs earned from the (now defunct) Radisson card I would never have been able to use them. You could not call into use them and the website never worked as it was supposed to.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Oct 21, 2022 at 11:46 am
Old Oct 21, 2022, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
That’s truly insane on their part if this is intentional on their part. Did Radisson EMEA even run this rate change stuff by lawyers in their relevant markets?

Amateur hour? It seems like Radisson EMEA is being sloppy in so many ways with this transition.
ffgap likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 12:08 am

Thinking on this (and hoping this is the case too) I made a points booking for July 2022 (75,000 London hotel in the saver promotion), had all the confirmation etc. but for some reason the online confirmation added a cash element of several hundred pounds to it. When my parents arrived there was no request for or payment of this cash element. Just make sure you have your original confirmation.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 6:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Radisson (EMEA) is owned by Chinese state owned Jin Jiang

Since the Chinese state took over Radisson through Jin Jiang it was a pretty much dead brand to me, with the changed scheme now and no prewarning they have made it even easier for me to now jump completely.
Markie likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by treppenlaeufer
Since the Chinese state took over Radisson through Jin Jiang it was a pretty much dead brand to me, with the changed scheme now and no prewarning they have made it even easier for me to now jump completely.
The Chinese state owns about 50% of all businesses in China so you might want to purge all your electronics and check the country of origin on virtually everything in your house if this is the case. As for the program changes….that’s another discussion and the reason we are here.
treppenlaeufer and 36902BRF like this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christianj
The Chinese state owns about 50% of all businesses in China so you might want to purge all your electronics and check the country of origin on virtually everything in your house if this is the case.
True, but unlike with electronics and many other products, here we still have a choice of where to direct our dollars.

And perhaps the changes at Radisson are a direct result of a Chinese state-run business not having a lot of business sense.
GUWonder, Happy, the810 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.