Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choice Hotels to acquire Radisson Americas.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Also, are the Radisson hotels and CI&S hotels in the Americas going to be rebranded? Otherwise, there will probably be confusion with the same brands in the rest of the world.
What I have read seems to indicate that they will stay under the Radisson and CI&S brands but who really knows at this point. I do think CI&S has some decent name recognition in the US so keeping that brand would seem to make sense in my opinion for the US properties. The Radisson brand on the other hand doesn't have a huge presence in the US so they could reflag but it is not like Choice has a brand they could use that would really fit....Ascend is more like an independent boutique hotel and Cambria is like an upscale Courtyard, HGI or more like an Indigo from IHG than a Radisson.

Last edited by christianj; Jun 14, 2022 at 5:56 am
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:50 am
soy

Programs: various
I think Choice is an upgrade. There are some nice Ascend properties and there is also the ability to book Preferred Hotels & Resorts with Choice. https://preferredhotels.com/offer/pa...?siteVersion=2
Probably the worst option is if they close the international transfer portal and there is no conversion to Choice, thus forcing the points to be spent on Radisson US
lililolo likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by soy
I think Choice is an upgrade. There are some nice Ascend properties and there is also the ability to book Preferred Hotels & Resorts with Choice. https://preferredhotels.com/offer/pa...?siteVersion=2
Probably the worst option is if they close the international transfer portal and there is no conversion to Choice, thus forcing the points to be spent on Radisson US
Have you tried to book Preferred Hotels via Choice before? If so, what was your experience? I checked in the past and availability was always an issue for the ones I checked. I also worry that this option could disappear tomorrow.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Also, are the Radisson hotels and CI&S hotels in the Americas going to be rebranded? Otherwise, there will probably be confusion with the same brands in the rest of the world.
I would highly doubt that the existing Radisson portfolio will be rebranded, as they are all franchisees, and franchisees can jump ship to another brand if Choice pulls the plug on the Radisson portfolio. The one nice aspect of being a Radisson franchisee is that there are relatively few of them compared to a Choice hotel on every corner. With that said, I would imagine that Choice will also offer their Radisson franchisees an incentive to remain with the brand once/if the Radisson properties are merged into the Choice central reservation system.

The more I ponder this move by Jin Jiang and Choice, the more I question if this was a wise move for Choice and the Radisson brand overall. While we don't know what occurred behind closed doors, I would have only accepted the deal if I could acquire the entire Radisson portfolio and brand--not just the Americas. This kills international expansion for Choice and also muddies the water for marketing.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by TTT103
The more I ponder this move by Jin Jiang and Choice, the more I question if this was a wise move for Choice and the Radisson brand overall. While we don't know what occurred behind closed doors, I would have only accepted the deal if I could acquire the entire Radisson portfolio and brand--not just the Americas. This kills international expansion for Choice and also muddies the water for marketing.
I have read speculation that the final move might be that Choice might want to acquire ALL of Radisson but that is mere speculation at this point. When I mentioned this in the thread on this topic in the Choice Forum I got smacked by a member saying that........Choice has not said it's goal is for a "broader worldwide presence." Rather, it has a "strategy to expand its growth opportunities by bringing the company's best-in-class franchising platform to adjacent hotel segments and to a new set of hotel owners." Moreover, there is no indication that Radisson's other properties are for sale.
TTT103 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by TTT103
Agree - it seems like a weird choice to acquire a regional subset of an overall brand and the half of the loyalty program that comes with it. Perhaps the long term plan is to acquire it all, and for some reason they couldn’t make the complete deal right away (funding?).
TTT103 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:23 pm
akm

Seeking opinions: If I do not intend to use the points in the US, would it be better at this point to move all the points into Radisson Rewards (International) and hope that that program is not acquired? If the programs do end up going different ways, there is some danger that the option to transfer may disappear at some point.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:44 pm

I am feeling burned because I kept the credit card for years to build up points to use in Norway, then the Norway trip finally came and I was not able to use them. Then I tried to use the points in Iceland last year and the reservation was lost in the brand break up process, I had to pay in cash for the stay and beg to have the points reinstated later.

Any good redemptions in Prague, Vienna, or Budapest? I could transfer the points to the other Radisson company and burn them up, I think I have 160,000.

I have a Choice account and could use the points, but at 2:1 that's 80,000 points and not the value that I put into them, $375.
gadberry likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by tom_MN
Any good redemptions in Prague, Vienna, or Budapest?
I've stayed at the Radisson Style Vienna and was overall very satisfied with my stay. Really great location in the center of Vienna and just around the corner from the main shopping area. At 75k per night It is one of the more expensive redemptions in the city so I would also look at the others which include a couple of hotels new to the portfolio.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:45 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Any good redemptions in Prague, Vienna, or Budapest? I could transfer the points to the other Radisson company and burn them up, I think I have 160,000.
Several years ago I stayed at a Radisson in Prague. It was a perfectly decent redemption. Hotel was comfy, an excellent location in the center. I'd stay there again.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 3:05 pm

So when can we start using Radisson points to book Choice hotels? I've never stayed at any Choice hotels, are they nice or are they roach motels?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Several years ago I stayed at a Radisson in Prague. It was a perfectly decent redemption. Hotel was comfy, an excellent location in the center. I'd stay there again.
I don't think that hotel is a Radisson anymore (the one just off Wencelas Square). However, I believe the Sheraton hotel next to Charles Square is now a Radisson. In fact, the Park Inn just below Vysehrad is no longer in the portfolio, either. On the other hand, the Park Inn in Budapest (although not centrally located) is still 15K per night. And the Radisson next to the Nyugati train station is 30K per night.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:32 pm

Any chance Choice will also buy Radisson non-Americas? That would end some hand wringing.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:45 pm

I've never stayed at any Choice hotels, are they nice or are they roach motels?
They totally run the gamut. Many of the lower end like Comfort/Quality/Sleep Inn are sheer sheets and for the free breakfast slimy hard boiled egg places. Rodeway/Econolodge/Clarion I avoid.

Comfort Suites is like Holiday Inn Express. Clarion Collection in Scandinavia is fabulous with intricate buffets for both breakfast and dinner (free). Cambria Suites is good. Quality hotels in Scandinavia are also fabulous. Comfort Hotels is one of the most common French chains.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I have a Choice account and could use the points, but at 2:1 that's 80,000 points and not the value that I put into them, $375.
Frequent Miler values Radisson points at $0.34 and Choice points at $0.68. That supports a 2:1 conversion ratio and shouldn’t really change the value relative to what you put into earning the points. I don’t know anything about the Choice program, so it could be that you have a different valuation depending on your own situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.