Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of miles ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2002, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Best use of miles ?

Hi All,

am very new to the qualifyer programm but took advantage of the current Amex MR to qualiflyer points promotion and now have about 120.000 qualiflyer miles.

What would the best way, in the experts opinion, be to spend these ? Also, what fares could I upgrade from econ to business ? Are there a lot of restrictions ?

Thanks
John

P.S: Apologies if this has been asked before but I did do a search and couldnt find anything....
Old Aug 13, 2002, 6:03 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnG:

Also, what fares could I upgrade from econ to business ? Are there a lot of restrictions ?
</font>
Welcome John,

For upgrade, usually you can upgrade fron Y to C-class with all the fares. În all Europe you need 5'000 miles to upgrade to C-class for 2 segments.
From Europe to the US you need 25'000 miles from Y to C-class upgrade, if no C-class available but only First in the US you will get it.

A good thing is also that you get get FreeTket in Europe in Y-class for 20'000 miles or C-class for 25'000 miles. You can fly up to 8 segments and some stop over. Check this topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum40/HTML/000706 (thanks to Patron http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif )

Personaly I like to use miles to upgrade or compagnion tkets most of the times.

Good luck.

kooks.
Old Aug 13, 2002, 8:39 am

Programs: QR platinum
you can use your miles also for free tickets on AA

US - Europe: Y-ticket: 60.000 miles
C- 100.000 miles..

intra US: 40.000 miles C- /Y-ticket: 25.000

check the Award calculator on:
http://www.qualiflyer.com/services/milesCalculator/
Old Aug 13, 2002, 8:44 am
Patron

Personally I go with kooks and use my miles to upgrade most of the times. The reason for this is to earn miles to requalify for my top tier status.

As I have the impression that you are not interesting in earning QG miles I strongly recommend to use your miles for a free transatlantic ticket in F/C Class.

If you do eg ORD - ZRH (A) – ARN (D) –ZRH (D) – ORD (A) referring to QGs Award Calculator you need only 125.000 QG miles (ORD-ZRH-ORD in F is 150.000 miles).

You can buy one block of 2.000 QG miles (maximum up to 10.000 QG miles per year) for USD 59,--/block (= 2,95 cents/mile)

Links:
http://www.qualiflyer.com/services/m...culator/spend/
http://www.qualiflyer.com/basics/buyMiles/

Old Aug 13, 2002, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Patron:
If you do eg ORD - ZRH (A) – ARN (D) –ZRH (D) – ORD (A) referring to QGs Award Calculator you need only 125.000 QG miles (ORD-ZRH-ORD in F is 150.000 miles).

</font>

Sorry - but because the transatlantic is in First Class (A) return, then the total cost will be 150,000 not 125,000 right? (if I read the proposed itinerary correctly).

It is possible however to do one way in C and one way in F (with intra-European flights in C only) to give a mileage requirement of 125,000 (with the additional miles needing to be bought separately).

Regards

WG

[This message has been edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (edited 08-13-2002).]
Old Aug 13, 2002, 10:55 am
Patron

Yes, you are right, LHR/MEL/Europe FF, sorry for the mistake!

Old Aug 13, 2002, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the good ideas....nice to have a warm welcome to a new board !

Have great things aboout the newly revamped SWISS and am very much looking forward to trying it out. My preferred destination would be ORD, either from London or Zurich.

From your experience, do mile upgrades clear quite quickly or is it often a little tougher to book,like AA ?
Old Aug 13, 2002, 2:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnG:

From your experience, do mile upgrades clear quite quickly or is it often a little tougher to book,like AA ?
</font>
In my experience, usually is quite easy to get upgrade. What you should is to buy your tket as soon as possible and then upgraded it by calling Swiss.
You can also ask for the upgrade when you book the flights (by phone) but then you won t be able to get the bonus miles for online booking (2'000 bonus miles).

The best thing is to look on the www.swiss.com the flight situation and then call them to reserve the flights and the upgrade at once.

kooks.
Old Aug 15, 2002, 2:12 am

Now if I wanted to fly from LAX to HKG with Cathay Pacific, I believe I cannot use BA miles to upgrade Econ to Bus but (1) could I use QG miles and, if so, (2) how many miles would it take? Finally, (3) could I purchase the ticket to get BA miles and still use QG miles to upgrade?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.