Swissair - information?

Old May 18, 2001, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Swissair - information?

Wondering if you can offer some insight..I am looking to go on a cruise spring of 2002 leave barcelona to Istanbul. Having never been to europe, I have no idea about international airlines. I noticed I can get two free tickets on SWISSAIR with my amex membership rewards. Their schedules seem to fit my needs but wondering about the airlines. I don't know one person that has ever flown with them.
They seem to be VERY flexible with the reservations - 340 days in advance and will hold the reservation for 3 months before the certificates are due. They have confirmed I can get them or a free companion on the routes I am looking at.
Can you offer your opinions and if I am better off paying the $750 (X 2) fares on another airline instead?
Thanks! :-)
Old May 19, 2001, 5:23 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
What class are you travelling in?
Old May 19, 2001, 5:35 am
Original Poster

The certificate/offer is for an economy class ticket.
Old May 19, 2001, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am curious as to what kind of an AMEX you have that transfers to SR. If it transfers to Qualiflyer, and then you get tickets, you habd better start now, because Qualiflyer took forever for me, and the plane left without the miles.

Steerage is Steerage in US to Europe in all my experiences. AF, BA, UA, AA, LH, SR, all are interested in the most cost effective way to transport the cargo from point A to point B. The differences are small, compared to the discomfort.

Book early, as the plane may sell out early.
Old May 19, 2001, 9:40 am
Original Poster

They don't actually transfer the miles to Swissair. It is using 30,000 (companion free) or 50,000 (free tix) membership rewards and getting the certificate for swissair. I spoke with swissair yesterday - they start booking 340 days in advance, make the reservation through them on their 'amex rewards' line. they hold the resrvation for approx 2 months, i call amex, redeem points for the certificates and send to swiss air.
have confirmed with swissair that the flights/route are OK for using the certificates. Just don't know about Swiss Air as friends have always gone this route via Air France.
But for a possible $1500 savings over Air France...is it worth it?
Old May 19, 2001, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I fly Swissair a lot from the U.S.

They are a very good airline. Their economy seats, while hardly comfortable, are better than most of the U.S. airlines.
Old May 19, 2001, 1:03 pm

Although not as superb anymore as they used to be, Swissair is still a slightly over standard European carrier. They fly an all-Airbus fleet with fairly OK seats, and they show the airshow all the time. The inflight meal is... well, who flies coach for the meal? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rolleyes.gif
They have however a bit of a problem with delays, as most of the outbound flights from Zurich are late, and therefore also most of the inbound ones.
Old May 19, 2001, 8:56 pm

Location: Australia Cathay Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Platinum VIP, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hertz Gold, PC Platinum, AMEX Centurion
I have been travelling with Swiss Air for many times, but in more than 80% of the time, the connecting flight to Zurich is delayed or cancelled and the flight leaving Zurich to international cities are delayed.
Any similar experience?

------------------
Cathay Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hertz Gold, PP Gold, AMEX Centurion
Old May 20, 2001, 5:33 am
Original Poster

So, it sounds like I should go a day earlier than planned. If my cruise leaves Barcelona at 5pm on a Sat, the flights I was looking at leave 6pm Friday night arrive there at about 11:15am Saturday. Not to take any changes, perhaps I should leave Thursday night, arrive Friday spend a day in Barcelona in case of delays - worth the extra day rather than take a chance missing the cruise!
I really appreciate all the feedback!
Old May 20, 2001, 7:25 am

Originally posted by cardiology:
I have been travelling with Swiss Air for many times, but in more than 80% of the time, the connecting flight to Zurich is delayed or cancelled and the flight leaving Zurich to international cities are delayed.
Any similar experience?
I agree with the delays, but no of my many SR flights has ever been cancelled. And the delays are - while unpleasant - mostly not too bad, e.g. >2hours or so. I might however just be lucky (!?!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.