Wiki Posts
Search

QR C class LGW-DOH questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2007, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

QR C class LGW-DOH questions

I will be flying BA between DOH and BAH and need to decide which QR flight to get from London to Doha.
The choice is between the day flight from Gatwick (QR76) on an A333, which will give me a 4 1/2 hours layover in DOH or the overnight LHR flight (QR4) on an A346, which would give me a whole day in Doha. The other QR LHR flights arrive too late in Doha to make the BA connection.
I am inclined to take the LGW flight, which is schedule-wise more convenient for me (the LHR flight would require me to go straight from work, which is not ideal) and also because, from the various posts on Doha on FT, it seems that there is comparatively little to do and see in DOH beyond a walk on the Corniche and mall-shopping.
I have, however, a few questions about the LGW flight:
1) Which lounge do QR use at LGW, now that CO are no longer in the same terminal?
2) Is there such a big difference comfort-wise in C between the A333 and the A346 that would justify taking the LHR nightflight instead?
3) The LGW flight seem to be sold as 2-class rather than 3. Is the aircraft actually 2-cabin, or is it a 3-cabin aircraft sold as 2? If the latter, is it possible to get a seat allocated in the F section (bearing in mind that I have no status on QR's FFP - not even a member - and will be flying on a BD award)? Can this be done in advance or is it at check-in only?
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:22 am

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
1) I think it is still the CO lounge (CO now uses EK lounge) but I'm not positive

2) No

3) It is a 2-Cabin aircraft
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for this. Re 1), it would be strange if CO had kept open a lounge which it can no longer use for its pax, but perhaps it has been taken over by so. else. Anyway, I'll have to see when I fly.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 1:16 am

QR uses the Servisair lounge at LGW now. The aircraft is usually a 2-cabin 333, however there are occasional (but rare) substitutions to 3-cabin aircraft. In that case, the practise is not to allocate the F class cabin unless space constraints require it. The seats on the 333 versus 346 in J class are a toss-up. Both are decent enough but nothing superlative.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
QR uses the Servisair lounge at LGW now. The aircraft is usually a 2-cabin 333, however there are occasional (but rare) substitutions to 3-cabin aircraft. In that case, the practise is not to allocate the F class cabin unless space constraints require it. The seats on the 333 versus 346 in J class are a toss-up. Both are decent enough but nothing superlative.
Thanks for this. What I feared re lounge. Oh well, not the end of the world.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:56 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
NickB: If you are a BA Gold you could always use the LGW Terraces under the Open Doors policy.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJLondon
NickB: If you are a BA Gold you could always use the LGW Terraces under the Open Doors policy.
QR flies from LGW S rather than LGW N. AFAIK, it is not possible to make one's way airside from LGW S to N without a BP departing from LGW N, so open doors won't help me here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.