Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wi-Fi fast enough for streaming on A380?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Wi-Fi fast enough for streaming on A380?

I am flying on a QR A380 LHR-DOH 3rd April and would like to watch a live football game on discovery+ using VPN, is the Wi-Fi fast enough or should I forget even trying? I was meant to be going to the game but rescheduled by a day for TV 😡 Assume Qatar do not show live sports events?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
No chance at all. The wifi on the 380 and 788 is the worst in the wide body fleet. It is also subject to a restrictive data usage limit.
I’ve been able to stream on the 777 and A350 - I know that’s of no help to you of course!
and no, QR don’t show live TV, like EK.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:20 am

Programs: Some
The A380 Wi-Fi is barely fast enough to load large images, you've got no chance I'm afraid. Go to the bar instead!
Old Mar 23, 2024, 4:13 am

Programs: BAEC
But downgrading to an audio stream might work.
ademanuele and NickRivas like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
The A380 Wi-Fi is barely fast enough to load large images, you've got no chance I'm afraid. Go to the bar instead!
I may need the bar
Old Mar 23, 2024, 5:31 am

Programs: QR Plat
I highly doubt it. Usually you get limited to 128kbit at most on 388/788.

Also, they do heavy application filtering, so the chance of your website being available if it is associated with any kind of streaming is low.
ademanuele likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ALL Gold
No dice.

I paid for wifi on one of my flights on the A380 and it struggled to send a plaintext e-mail.

It really is dreadful and the wifi provider refunded me in the end because it was just so unuseable.
ademanuele and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

I just landed in Doha after my flight on the A380. I paid the $20 in the hope of using the internet for emails and web, it was completely useless. I tried on my iPhone as well. Towards the end of the flight I managed to get a few WhatsApp messages to go (very slowly).

Is it just the A380 wifi solution that is the issue or a general issue with wifi on the Qatar fleet?
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by ademanuele
I just landed in Doha after my flight on the A380. I paid the $20 in the hope of using the internet for emails and web, it was completely useless. I tried on my iPhone as well. Towards the end of the flight I managed to get a few WhatsApp messages to go (very slowly).

Is it just the A380 wifi solution that is the issue or a general issue with wifi on the Qatar fleet?
Like I mentioned few posts up: it's a 388/788 issue.
The solution used on 789 and A350s is different and can get you good days sometimes.

-A
ademanuele likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

On QR976 (777-300ER), wifi a very different experience. Reasonably fast and usable...
Old Apr 4, 2024, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
edit.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 12:49 am

Programs: QR Platinum
On my last flight with Qatar in 777 Qsuite i recorded a 46mb video of my seat and posted it on facebook in the plane. It took a while but it worked.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crisu69
On my last flight with Qatar in 777 Qsuite i recorded a 46mb video of my seat and posted it on facebook in the plane. It took a while but it worked.
Yes, the wifi a very different experience on the 777 I took to Hanoi yesterday. The A380 upper deck was quite empty when I used the wifi and not usable even for email. If the technology does not work then Qatar should not sell the product in my view, a very frustrating experience!
Old Apr 5, 2024, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by ademanuele
Yes, the wifi a very different experience on the 777 I took to Hanoi yesterday. The A380 upper deck was quite empty when I used the wifi and not usable even for email. If the technology does not work then Qatar should not sell the product in my view, a very frustrating experience!
Doesn't matter where in the place you are placed or how many are onboard. The weakest link is the link from the aircraft to the satelites, not the local wifi. Also, at least on the product used by the 788/380 there seem to be a per wifi-client limitation on bandwidth as well.

-A
Old Apr 5, 2024, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
Doesn't matter where in the place you are placed or how many are onboard. The weakest link is the link from the aircraft to the satelites, not the local wifi. Also, at least on the product used by the 788/380 there seem to be a per wifi-client limitation on bandwidth as well.

-A
The point I was trying to make (badly) was that Qatar cannot blame the issue on a busy flight (and high demand for wifi), the product simply does not seem fit for purpose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.