Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Discover Qatar City Tour - Most Efficient Option

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:47 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC

We're connecting through DOH next week, on the outbound trip we are scheduled to arrive at 1700 and depart at 0120, so an 8:20 hr layover.

We're stopping for two days on the way back, so it's not like we won't get to see Doha, but I still think it might be nice to do the three hour city tour the first time to get a quick lay of the land and break up that long layover. However, the gotcha that bothers me is the requirement to check-in 2 hours in advance, with some reports 90 minutes is okay if your flight is running late, and to check-in airside.

Watching
it sure seems like these folks booked their tours landside after baggage claim and immigration, which I think might obviate the need for the advanced check-in, which is timed in part to account for immigration and baggage claim, which is much less of an issue if we are Business Class. There are tours scheduled for 1800, 1900, and 2000 that I think would all be fine, I'd really prefer to just get on the 1800 tour and then get back to the airport and have time to relax in the Al Mourjan lounge before our onward flight.

Any comments or experiences on the ability to just clear immigration and check-in at the desk in baggage claim and get on the next departing City tour?

BTW, I've seen suggestions to just take an Uber in and do it yourself, the big downside with that is dealing with luggage, I would have to think our luggage, even things like a laptop bag, would be pretty safe on the bus.
lileor likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:16 pm

A potential problem with leaving booking the tour until you arrive is that the time slot you want may be full by then.

It also wouldn't take too much of a delay plus a long bus gate arrival transfer etc for the 1800 start to be too early.

I'd go for the 1900 which still gives you 3 hours in the lounge when you get back, or just do your own thing and not be worrying about efficiency or other people's schedules.

There's a landside premium arrivals lounge to kill a bit of time, and Qatar isn't like some other countries for crime and dodgy taxi drivers (deportation is a strong demotivator). There are also plenty of private tours you could book where the driver would meet you after customs and you set off straight away.

You could also leave your stuff in the lockers in the airside lounge (not an officially offered service but possible) and then make your own way by taxi or metro. It's Ramadan currently so the museums are generally open a bit later. Take the Metro in, have a quick visit to one of the museums, a wander along the corniche and a bite to eat in the souk. That might give you the introductory flavour of Doha you want.
aphro likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 11:44 am

Has anyone managed to book these tours on the day? I'm just wondering what the availability is like or if I should book in advance. I'm just wary about delays but also how I'll feel after my first flight, and whether I want more or less time at the lounge before the tour. Thank you.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 12:41 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by d.patel
Has anyone managed to book these tours on the day? I'm just wondering what the availability is like or if I should book in advance. I'm just wary about delays but also how I'll feel after my first flight, and whether I want more or less time at the lounge before the tour. Thank you.
Delay is a concern for me as well, and it just doesn't seem like there is actually a need to check in so far in advance.

I'm not particularly concerned about the tour being sold out, if it happens to be sold out, it's more crowded than I would prefer anyway even if we got the last four spots. From a few reviews I've seen I think they are not very full, they use a large coach and a few videos I've seen they never looked very full.

It seems like it would be more efficient if we skipped to desk airside if there is a desk landside after immigration, the video I posted sure seems to imply there is.
aphro likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.