Wiki Posts
Search

Confused about my renewal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold, *A Gold, IHG Plat., Hilton Gold, Etihad Guest Gold
Confused about my renewal

I got this email today and I am not sure if I need 51 Q points by end of March or October. Can anyone dumb this down for me!

As a Gold member, enjoy an unbelievable 40% off when you buy up to 51 Qpoints by 28 March 2024.*

Remember, our new tier renewal guidelines come into effect on 31 March 2024. This means that your tier could change.

To renew your Gold tier, be sure to earn 51 Qpoints by the time it expires on 1 October 2024 or it will be downgraded to Silver.

Want to continue enjoying your exclusive Gold benefits? Increase your Qpoints balance today.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:56 am

If your current tier expiry is in October then you need to accrue the necessary qpoints to renew or upgrade by then.

It sounds like QR are promoting a 50% off deal for buying Qpoints this month. If you don't think you will need to buy any Qpoints to renew in October, ignore it.

You can run a statement from your member dashboard - for the 12 months until your current tier expiry date - to see how many qpoints you have so far this year and how many you might need to renew or upgrade
zimstyles likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold, *A Gold, IHG Plat., Hilton Gold, Etihad Guest Gold
Ok so if I start counting q points from the 2nd of October 2023 to date, I have 205 Q Points. So to retain Gold, I need 65 Q points before the last day of September posted or 395 to get to platinum. I can definitely renew Gold, as for platinum I will need to make sure I stick to OW for the next 6 months and I might scrape by.

Thank you so much!
KingCanute likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:23 pm

Programs: QRPC Silver
Originally Posted by zimstyles
I got this email today and I am not sure if I need 51 Q points by end of March or October. Can anyone dumb this down for me!

As a Gold member, enjoy an unbelievable 40% off when you buy up to 51 Qpoints by 28 March 2024.*

Remember, our new tier renewal guidelines come into effect on 31 March 2024. This means that your tier could change.

To renew your Gold tier, be sure to earn 51 Qpoints by the time it expires on 1 October 2024 or it will be downgraded to Silver.

Want to continue enjoying your exclusive Gold benefits? Increase your Qpoints balance today.
I got the same email but my tier expires on 12 June. Where does the 31 March 2024 come in? Are there new guidelines or rules?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by ZSTWHK
I got the same email but my tier expires on 12 June. Where does the 31 March 2024 come in? Are there new guidelines or rules?
A couple of minor tweaks:

"Tier renewal program changes effective from 31 March 2024

Once your Membership Tier is renewed, it will be valid for twelve (12) months.

Should the Member fail to retain his or her existing Membership Tier, he or she shall be downgraded to:

(i) the next lower tier, provided that there has been activity (accrual or redemption) on your account over the previous 24 months. This means that an existing Platinum Tier Member will become Gold, and an existing Gold Tier Member becomes Silver; and

(ii) the Burgundy Membership Tier, if there has been no activity (accrual or redemption) on your account over the previous 24 months"

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv...ion-2024.html?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 10:23 pm

Programs: QRPC Silver
I am trying to figure out where the minor tweaks are. Did they add the 24 month inactivity clause?

My tier expires 12 June, I'm flying end of the month (26 March) and will have enough QPoints to retain my tier. Does that mean my tier will be valid until 26 March 2025 or 12 June 2025?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 10:38 pm

They've basically confirmed a soft landing policy, and yes the 24 month inactivity clause has been added. There may be people who haven't flown since before covid but are still platinum etc due to 4 years of free extensions. This spring cleans away some of those.

If you cross the threshold to go up a tier, your new membership year starts on the date you accrue the qpoints to cross that threshold.

If you earn sufficient qpoints to renew your current tier, your membership is extended by 12 months on your current year end date
ZSTWHK likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:41 am
Formerly known as koeche

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
I find the QR system super confusing too with the QPoints counter on the dashboard jumping up and down over time. I don't know how reliable it is but the only kind of clear indicator can be found at the bottom of the "My Calculator" page, there it shows how many points until what date are still needed to retain status.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by CheckInPeach
I find the QR system super confusing too with the QPoints counter on the dashboard jumping up and down over time. I don't know how reliable it is but the only kind of clear indicator can be found at the bottom of the "My Calculator" page, there it shows how many points until what date are still needed to retain status.
There's no question that the current versions of the counters are terrible.

If you want to see where you stand for either a tier upgrade or renewal, the categoric way is to run a statement for either the last 12 months (upgrade), or the 12 or 24 months prior to your current tier expiry date (renewal). One of the numbers towards the top of that statement will indicate "Qpoints this period'
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:53 am
JKG

Programs: Privilege Club, Miles&Bonus
Originally Posted by KingCanute
There's no question that the current versions of the counters are terrible.

If you want to see where you stand for either a tier upgrade or renewal, the categoric way is to run a statement for either the last 12 months (upgrade), or the 12 or 24 months prior to your current tier expiry date (renewal). One of the numbers towards the top of that statement will indicate "Qpoints this period'
Wouldn't allow me to run any report greater than 365 days.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:42 pm

Programs: QR Platinum / SQ Gold
I have as well a rather strange caculation for renewal requirments for my wifes account. She just requalified (Date: 31.12.2023) for another year of Platinum tier (valid until 31.12.2024). The renweal for Platinum is 540 QPoints. She had some QR & CX flights and as well some Duty Free Shopping at Hamad Int. Airport (which I was suprised gave her some Qpoints) since the beginning of the year. The total QPoints from 1st January 2024 until now is 148. In the Dashboard however its says she requires until 31.12.2024 350 QPoints to requalify for Platinum again. According to my own calcualtion she would required 392 (540 Qpoints Requalifcation - 148 Qpoints earned until now = 392). Its good to see she requires less QPoints but I just wonder if this has something to do about an upcoming change of the membership program or kind of a "gift" as many members (who didnt re-qualify) from end of December to end of March. Could potentially the rolling requalifcation/renewal date moved for all members to a fixed yearly date (e.g. 31. March)? I believe BA just made this change in their program. As well I read quite a few QR Privilege Club members reported about miles wrongly credited to other frequent flyers program. Could this be a mess/IT bug with a potential rewamp of the entire program?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:48 pm

The current version of the renewal counter has not been reliable for a long time. If you want an accurate total for how many Qpoints you have earned so far this membership year you need to run a statement from day one of your current year until today. Subtract that total from 540 to see how many you still need to renew. If you earned more than 540 in the previous membership year, your requirement this year will be reduced further based on needing 1,080 Qpoints in the 24 months before your next renewal date.

There may be a glitch somewhere in one of the systems that is swapping incorrect FF numbers into bookings (it could also be due to something else of course). There have been a number of reports here suggesting that may be happening but no concrete confirmation of the cause that I can remember seeing. There would likely be many many more reports though if it was endemic and super widespread.

And yes, there is speculation that some sort of relaunch may be imminent. We have seen some requalification changes from 1 April, and Keys announced to be replacing Qcredits since July last year. We can also add in peak/off peak reward pricing. I'm not sure the details of any of those have yet been formally announced, although some are already showing on the website. There may be other surprises too...

Nobody knows for sure but it does seem likely that something is coming soon. I doubt that would include immediately resetting everyone's membership year end to 31 March without notice, but never say never.

Synchronising the start of the requalification changes with the end of 4 years of free extensions currently expiring 31 March would allow QR to spring clean those who still aren't travelling with them down to Burgundy, which may be no bad thing overall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.