Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Upsell / cash upgrade issues - Qatar is losing $$$

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upsell / cash upgrade issues - Qatar is losing $$$

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2024, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Update from OP. Got last J seat on CPT-DOH for $1250 at airport check-in. Looks like there were op-ups too, because flight was overbooked in Y. I would be willing to pay even more if offered in advance, because I got a small injury during the trip and wanted J to be more comfortable.

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
QR perhaps looking rlto protect the J product on their shorter segments. They are discouraging people like me only buying J on the overnight segment.
You understand that there is always a good price point at which selling J segment upgrades will always make sense for the airline without discouraging other revenue? If in doubt, they can always charge more! But figuring out the right price does require some work, analytical stills and coding, which Qatar probably does not have due to other priorities.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by AntonS
But figuring out the right price does require some work, analytical stills and coding, which Qatar probably does not have due to other priorities.
I'm sure that's exactly what they have and did. It's a bit ridiculous to suggest that an airline of their size wouldn't.

The magic number for airline revenue management departments is the flight going out full with 0-1 person bumped. Expected v actual is continually changing right up until departure, and your seat may only have become available at or after the no show cut off 3 hours before departure (a 0.25% swing on a 400 seater aircraft).

If you got the last/only revenue upgrade then you got what you wanted (given that you chose not to book business in the first place) and it sounds like they did an almost perfect job on the numbers. Well done QR. The swipes are a bit churlish, at best.
florin and surryson like this.

Last edited by KingCanute; Mar 15, 2024 at 8:13 am
Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by AntonS
Update from OP. Got last J seat on CPT-DOH for $1250 at airport check-in. Looks like there were op-ups too, because flight was overbooked in Y. I would be willing to pay even more if offered in advance, because I got a small injury during the trip and wanted J to be more comfortable.

You understand that there is always a good price point at which selling J segment upgrades will always make sense for the airline without discouraging other revenue? If in doubt, they can always charge more! But figuring out the right price does require some work, analytical stills and coding, which Qatar probably does not have due to other priorities.
so as everyone said to you, upgrades on single sectors can be made available, qr revenue management decides when to do it.
I am glad it worked out for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.