Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR to Doha Business to First

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2024, 10:54 am
Original Poster

LHR to Doha Business to First

We are travelling to Hanoi via Doha and been offered an upgrade from Business to First for the first leg at £2100 for the two of us. That isn’t a great price is it? Travelling on the QR004 so will be a day flight.

It’s just husband’s birthday is coming up and he would LOVE this. Sounds expensive but not used to these sorts of offers if someone could comment please.

Many thanks
aphro likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Moonstone1234
We are travelling to Hanoi via Doha and been offered an upgrade from Business to First for the first leg at £2100 for the two of us. That isn’t a great price is it? Travelling on the QR004 so will be a day flight.

It’s just husband’s birthday is coming up and he would LOVE this. Sounds expensive but not used to these sorts of offers if someone could comment please.

Many thanks
Only you can make the call on whether £1050 each for 6 hours in first is worth it (on top of what you've already paid). Maybe if you had a very long layover in Doha (3+ hours) it might help justify the cost by having access to the first class lounge.... but i tend to spend most of my time in the bar/lounge on the a380 which you get access to being in Buisness anyway... if it were a longer leg (say DOH-SYD) then id probably take it.
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:50 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Only you can make the call on whether £1050 each for 6 hours in first is worth it (on top of what you've already paid). Maybe if you had a very long layover in Doha (3+ hours) it might help justify the cost by having access to the first class lounge.... but i tend to spend most of my time in the bar/lounge on the a380 which you get access to being in Buisness anyway... if it were a longer leg (say DOH-SYD) then id probably take it.
Also upgrades actually wouldn’t get access to the AS lounge, so indeed probably not the best value.
babyg_wc, AJNEDC and aphro like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by fender5787
Also upgrades actually wouldn’t get access to the AS lounge, so indeed probably not the best value.
ah didn't remember that QR quirk.. good point... id pocket the dosh...
fender5787 and AJNEDC like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you. Yes, the A380 bar is fab! Would the offer at the desk be slightly less? The LHR lounge is the same isn’t it for Business and First?

We have a 1 hr 50 mins connection to our next flight from Doha to Hanoi and the QR004 always seems to leave late.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by babyg_wc
fender5787 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:55 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Thank you. Yes, the A380 bar is fab! Would the offer at the desk be slightly less? The LHR lounge is the same isn’t it for Business and First?

We have a 1 hr 50 mins connection to our next flight from Doha to Hanoi and the QR004 always seems to leave late.
Yep same lounge. Basically you’d be paying for just a wider seat, caviar, better on board drinks, and slightly more food choices for 6 hours. Personally I wouldn’t bite for that relatively short hop
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Thank you all. It’s our spending money for the holiday I guess. It’s just that First is disappearing isn’t it? Got upgraded during a flight pre Covid from BA Club to First as I was on my own and the man beside me (old BA Club Class) started snoring and the Purser suggested I might be more comfortable further down the front! Didn’t realise what he meant until suddenly the penny dropped.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

I don’t like caviar and after a fat glass of champagne I would struggle to drink much more in the middle of the day.

Thank you anyway. Think I will pass. Am I likely to get an offer at the check in desk too?
Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:02 pm

I don’t like caviar and after a fat glass of champagne I would struggle to drink much more in the middle of the day.

Thank you anyway. Think I will pass. Am I likely to get an offer at the check in desk too?
Potentially but it could very well be higher too. But if caviar and polishing off a full bottle(s) of champagne isn’t your ideal way to spend 6 hours, then of course the answer is pretty self evident. Plus 2 grand can go * a longggg* way in northern Vietnam
Old Mar 3, 2024, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by fender5787
Huh!
Revenue upgrades are eligible (on real "F" flights) - But "Technical" upgrades are not.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 5:58 am

That isn’t a great price is it?
Really up to you, but as most "luxury" products is not about real value. Is caviar and (better) champagne worth 1k? I'd say no.
Would it feel special to sit on the A380 in first class, along with only 8 passengers? Yes!
Would be nice to enjoy the First class lounge in Doha? Yes.

But you and your partner would have a nice experience in business as well, and you have access to the A380 bar in Business as well (and, even more accessible as behind Y.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by DirektornSE
Huh!
Revenue upgrades are eligible (on real "F" flights) - But "Technical" upgrades are not.
If you pay the fare difference to reticket from a J fare to an F fare you get everything that the F ticket includes. But if you accept a promotional upgrade offer (paid with either cash or avios) you will most likely retain the lounge access, baggage allowance and points earnings of your original fare basis. You need to read the T&Cs of the specfic "offer" you are buying very carefully if the extra F privileges are important (especially if you don't already have QR Platinum for AS access).
fender5787 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 10:16 am

Honestly, save your money. QR F is pretty average, but business is amongst the best. Head for the bar, grab an LP Rose and think about what you'll spend a grand each on in Vietnam.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by DirektornSE
Huh!
Yep as KingCanute says, the only way a j to f “upgrade” gets AS lounge access is if the ticket is repriced to the new fare class (either A or F). In this case, it seems like a paid upgrade offer, which doesn’t include AS access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.