Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Current state of DOH Hamad International Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current state of DOH Hamad International Airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:40 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
2nd bus gate in the past week, and I'm not even sure the planes were parked in Doha, let alone at DOH!

The frustration is also that these flights seem to leave late, because the buses take that much longer to arrive at the aircraft than normal jetbridge boarding.

M
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
2nd bus gate in the past week, and I'm not even sure the planes were parked in Doha, let alone at DOH!

M
There used to be some good 3 to 4 mile drives from the departure terminals to the far side of the runway at the old airport too. If you like looking at planes there's plenty to see
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:46 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by KingCanute
There used to be some good 3 to 4 mile drives from the departure terminals to the far side of the runway at the old airport too. If you like looking at planes there's plenty to see
Currently on stand 502, which I believe means I'm back at LHR T5!

Saw a plane with a rainbow tail which was cool, albeit couldn't tell what it was because we headed in the opposite direction.

M
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have used the economy bus any time i liked. If I arrive at the gate early enough, I just board. Yes the scanner person ask me every time if I really really want to go NOW, but why and how should she/he be able to deny me boarding the eco bus?
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

The frustration is also that these flights seem to leave late, because the buses take that much longer to arrive at the aircraft than normal jetbridge boarding.
Yes, yesterday we were over at the 600-series gates and departed 20-30 mins late. Captain was apologetic but did hint at the refuelling and paperwork being the cause which, as you mentioned, can be due to dependency on the long process of bussing.

I guess they just need to keep building (as they are) to get this rectified...

On the bright side, you get some lovely aircraft pics on the tarmac / stairs for entry
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 11:52 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Although I rather like the idea of pilots cruising round the terminal looking for the best parking spot, that's not how it happens.

And given the competitive parking i see around town, i reckon its a good idea the whole thing is controlled by the airport
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
Pilots don't choose parking like when you drive into a parking lot. This is all decided by staff that deals with the ground operations.

-A
I could've swore I saw a QR A380 pilot fighting with a Oman 737 over a parking spot in Concourse A. hahaha

I actually know that, but what I meant was that ground operations, or airport control, advise pilots of their respective parking bays to be remote to save manpower costs for pilots and cabin crew. I could be wrong though, as remote parking would require busses, fuel, manpower to operate buses, ensure saftey, etc...
Old Mar 5, 2024, 11:56 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Although I rather like the idea of pilots cruising round the terminal looking for the best parking spot, that's not how it happens.

And given the competitive parking i see around town, i reckon its a good idea the whole thing is controlled by the airport
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
Pilots don't choose parking like when you drive into a parking lot. This is all decided by staff that deals with the ground operations.

-A
I could've swore I saw a QR A380 pilot fighting with a Oman 737 over a parking spot in Concourse A. hahaha

I actually know that, but what I meant was that ground operations, or airport control, advise pilots of their respective parking bays to be remote to save manpower costs for pilots and cabin crew. I could be wrong though, as remote parking would require busses, fuel, manpower to operate buses, ensure saftey, etc...
Old Mar 6, 2024, 12:01 am

Programs: BA GFL GGL/CCR, VS Lifetime Gold
I hate this bus boarding nonsense.

I want to get on board, have a drink and if a night flight have time to change.

I have seen people be given a glass of champagne and have it taken off them after a sip because they are tidying the cabin for take off! I have complained so many times but it gets worse not better.

Im a BA member, but have in recent years preferred QR…but at the moment am flying BA more and more as I hate the QR ground experience…..not in any way luxury!
aphro and GratefulSmile like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 3:36 am

Programs: Some
I'm guessing the issue is perhaps that the number of Business Class buses has not increased with the number of QR flights departing from bus gates. Five or so years ago there would be a Business Class bus or two waiting at the start of boarding, QR would call boarding for J first and that bus (or possibly two buses) would set off for the plane once full. Then another bus would either wait or appear halfway through boarding which would take any J passengers who turn up after boarding is first announced to the plane when the gate closes. Now it seems like that first trip doesn't occur any longer and instead all J passengers need to wait until the gate is closing, presumably because there aren't enough buses to do two trips.
seanp7, florin, msm2000uk and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by chspw1
I hate this bus boarding nonsense.

I have seen people be given a glass of champagne and have it taken off them after a sip because they are tidying the cabin for take off! !
Amateur... I always cary 3-4 disposable Paper/Plastic cups, so I am never under stress to enjoy my PDB...
seanp7, florin, aphro and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:49 am

I would always take the eco bus just to be early on board in J in order to store my stuff, re-dress and take one or two pre departure champagnes.
aphro likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ChrisHB12
I would always take the eco bus just to be early on board in J in order to ..... take one or two pre departure champagnes.
which is perhaps why the airline is not in too much of a hurry to source the additional luxe-buses it would need to get its business-class passengers on board early
Matt4 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:37 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by nilsfr69
Amateur... I always cary 3-4 disposable Paper/Plastic cups, so I am never under stress to enjoy my PDB...
I have many times been given a paper cup of champagne to carry me over on the trek from a remote stands to the security... it work's at both ends of the trip.

-A
seanp7, nilsfr69 and GratefulSmile like this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 12:25 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by chspw1
I have seen people be given a glass of champagne and have it taken off them after a sip because they are tidying the cabin for take off! I have complained so many times but it gets worse not better.

Im a BA member, but have in recent years preferred QR…but at the moment am flying BA more and more as I hate the QR ground experience…..not in any way luxury!
Another reason to upgrade to F on the A380 (where applicable) perhaps - guaranteed (?) a real gate and you can get onboard first and polish off three glasses of Armand de Brignac before takeoff like I did last week… *hiccup*
florin and nilsfr69 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.