Search

Melbourne Airport Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2024, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Melbourne Airport Lounges

What's the story on MEL lounges...??

I've got a huge flight coming up on Qatar LHR to ADL...with the DOH to ADL sector being 21 hours long due to a stop for 5 hours in MEL.

Obviously I'm doing this in J, but given its a reward flight I can't seem to find any non stoppers out of DOH to ADL. Still, its good value at 180k return compared to BA's rate down to Sydney.

I've checked the airport lounges and Qantas is the only choice for one world...sadly I'll probably be Silver by then, so...I assume I'll still get entrance on a stop over...?? Any showers there...??

My survival technique for this is to avoid the whisky and cheese diet recommended on another thread and to starve myself on LHR to DOH...and then only eat and drink once in the air and off to MEL...

It'll be a toughie, nonetheless Uluru here I come...Chris

Last edited by golfmad; Feb 28, 2024 at 7:01 pm Reason: Removed the reference to BA flights longer than 21 hours prior to moving to QR forum
Old Feb 28, 2024, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Lounge info here https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=MEL
etiene likes this.

Last edited by golfmad; Feb 28, 2024 at 7:01 pm Reason: Removed part related to BA about length of flights deleted from OP
Old Feb 28, 2024, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
A couple of threads regarding this flight in the QR forum:
​​​​​​QR988 DOH-MEL-ADL Exiting at MEL
​​​​​​DOH-MEL-ADL Service
Old Feb 28, 2024, 3:02 pm

Programs: Complete Pleb, former BAEC Gold, former MH Silver
Qatar use the Marharaba lounge at MEL but you would also have rights to the Qantas longe too.

However as the stopover is overnight I believe both are shut unfortunately.

The Park Royal hotel is a short walk directly opposite the terminal buildings if you don't fancy 5 hours on an airport bench.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I would very very very very strongly advise you to alter your ticket to end in MEL, find a hotel and then take an even paid fare from MEL/ADL the next day at a reasonable time.

Why? This is QRs politically motivated response to the AU government restricting its services to MEL and SYD. Therefore, they make a technicality of a flight that is sold as MEL going on to ADL to claim that it is an ADL flight rather than MEL. This flight arrives into MEL at around 23.00 and departs again at 05.35.

You will find at this time the QF F lounge closed (QF 95 will have left), the QF J lounge will be closed and the House lounge for CX will close at 00.00 (not a OW lounge), and that the airport will be very lonely between 0000 and around 0430 when the lounges reopen, all shops shut etc. I think one of the public bathrooms has a shower.

You will not be able to leave the airport as you are in the international terminal and you cannot leave when transiting. But if one-way and hand carry only, I suspect that they will not stop you from just walking out.

You will find several threads on this in the QR forum.

Sorry to burst the bubble but after 20+ hours in a plane to land and spend 5 hours in the middle of the night in a terminal is a let down. I would probably drink as much whisky and eat as much cheese to cope with the 5+ hours of sitting on a bench alone and in the semi-dark.

KF

Last edited by Koru Flyer; Feb 28, 2024 at 3:30 pm
Old Feb 28, 2024, 3:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Qantas Platinum One and LTG
Unrelated, but if you are here in ADL soon then enjoy the long, hot, dry summer we're having courtesy of El Nino (hasn't rained for a month). Try getting to the restaurant strip along King William Road south of the CBD, a walkable distance.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
I would very very very very strongly advise you to alter your ticket to end in MEL, find a hotel and then take an even paid fare from MEL/ADL the next day at a reasonable time.

Why? This is QRs politically motivated response to the AU government restricting its services to MEL and SYD. Therefore, they make a technicality of a flight that is sold as MEL going on to ADL to claim that it is an ADL flight rather than MEL. This flight arrives into MEL at around 23.00 and departs again at 05.35.

You will find at this time the QF F lounge closed (QF 95 will have left), the QF J lounge will be closed and the House lounge for CX will close at 00.00 (not a OW lounge), and that the airport will be very lonely between 0000 and around 0430 when the lounges reopen, all shops shut etc. I think one of the public bathrooms has a shower.

You will not be able to leave the airport as you are in the international terminal and you cannot leave when transiting. But if one-way and hand carry only, I suspect that they will not stop you from just walking out.

You will find several threads on this in the QR forum.

Sorry to burst the bubble but after 20+ hours in a plane to land and spend 5 hours in the middle of the night in a terminal is a let down. I would probably drink as much whisky and eat as much cheese to cope with the 5+ hours of sitting on a bench alone and in the semi-dark.

KF
Holy moly...see what you mean...!! No wonder there's availability and a good deal on the Avios.

It may be better to travel direct from DOH to ADL in economy if available, rather than deplane in MEL and wait through the night for the connection.

Alternatively do an open jaw, assuming that Qatar sell open jaw reward flights and there's availability.

Thanks for the heads up... Chris

​​​
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Chris_G
Holy moly...see what you mean...!! No wonder there's availability and a good deal on the Avios.

It may be better to travel direct from DOH to ADL in economy if available, rather than deplane in MEL and wait through the night for the connection.

Alternatively do an open jaw, assuming that Qatar sell open jaw reward flights and there's availability.

Thanks for the heads up... Chris

​​​
Qatar sell 1 ways, I use them all the time with avios.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Chris_G

​​​
I don’t think the award availability is tied to the stopover - you would need an available J seat DOH-MEL regardless…

Agreed with the recommendation to book to MEL and do MEL-ADL separately, on a separate PNR, the next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.