Wiki Posts
Search

QR835 BKK - DOH Check-in time

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2024, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
QR835 BKK - DOH Check-in time

I’m travelling from Bangkok at 19:10 in J, I’m OneWorld Emerald. Does anyone know if the Qatar check-in desks are open earlier than 3 hours before departure? Thailand is observing a national holiday and I have no idea what the traffic may be like so planning to get there earlier right after I check out.

Also, flight is completely full and the 3 remaining seats that were available in F have been blocked off. Does anyone know if this means there are OpUps and are any potential operational upgrades are done on a ‘first come, first serve’ basis when checking in / collecting boarding passes at the airport or are these typically done automatically based on status etc?

I wasn’t able to get OLCI completed on the way out here, I received a ‘confirmation pass’ but had to go to the check-in desks anyway. No luggage to check in. I can’t seem to check-in online at all here or collect a confirmation pass and it is telling me that I need to go to the check-in desk. Could this mean that I’ve been upgraded to F?

Many thanks
Old Feb 24, 2024, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I don't know if you are travelling Sunday or Monday.
QR operates 2 flights in the evening (last morning flight departs at 9:05) and QR835 is the first evening one. I doubt that you can check-in over 3 hours before.

If you depart on Monday (national Holiday), it is not unusual that OLCI not open exactly 48h before departure. It might open a couple of hours later.

I doubt that any longhaul airline proceeds OPUP to F on a first come basis. In your case, all QR flights BKK-DOH are zeroed out on Sunday and Monday.
If you cannot even get a "confirmation pass" shortly before your flight, I would also be worried about a potential downgrade.
Opups and downgrades will depend on many factors such as your booking class (are you on a BA award?), status, etc..
Old Feb 24, 2024, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Zackers

I can’t seem to check-in online at all here or collect a confirmation pass and it is telling me that I need to go to the check-in desk. Could this mean that I’ve been upgraded to F?

Many thanks
You perhaps cannot check in online due to “passport / visa check” depending on your final destination or return flight (e.g. visa on arrival, etc)?

This is so annoying when we have no luggage…
Old Feb 24, 2024, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Last week I ask specifically about their C/I opening times, it was 15:30 last week and they were checking in both evening flights.
(I had times when they strictly opened the counter a T - 3 hours)
Markie and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

I’m travelling on Monday. I waited a while and as you suggested check-in opened a few hours later. I managed to actually get my boarding pass this time and confirmed for my seat in J, however this time I couldn’t change seat. All the seats that were blocked off in EF were available to be switched to previously.

Now that you mention it I guess it does make sense that OPUPs can be priorities by fare class etc. I’m on a cash fare but only I class.

My final destination is EDI on this trip (UK passport holder) so no special entry requirements.

Since I’ve got my boarding pass and no luggage to check in, does anyone know if the gates at BKK kick up a fuss if you try to head through a few hours earlier? I haven’t been to the Qatar lounge there but from what I’ve heard its quite nice, and I’d rather spend time there than sat in the hotel lobby!
Old Feb 25, 2024, 12:17 am

In my recent experience of Qatar at BKK I was told check-in opens 4 hours before departure. I've also read that a real paper boarding pass is expected by Qatar's boarding processes, so I'd recommend heading to a check-in desk at T minus 4 to get your two boarding passes. The desk should also be able to change your seat on the BKK - DOH leg if there are still some blocked seats showing; for some reason the Bangkok flights usually have all J seats blocked, but I know these can be allocated by check-in staff (I've done it myself) or perhaps over the phone.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 1:52 am

The QR Lounge will be closed midday. I believe they do not open before 15:30 for the evening flights
Old Feb 25, 2024, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MartinJS
In my recent experience of Qatar at BKK I was told check-in opens 4 hours before departure. I've also read that a real paper boarding pass is expected by Qatar's boarding processes, so I'd recommend heading to a check-in desk at T minus 4 to get your two boarding passes. The desk should also be able to change your seat on the BKK - DOH leg if there are still some blocked seats showing; for some reason the Bangkok flights usually have all J seats blocked, but I know these can be allocated by check-in staff (I've done it myself) or perhaps over the phone.
That’s good to know thanks. I had to print them on the way out but strangely this time I got my 2 boarding passes on my phone and the app said I should proceed straight through to immigration if I don’t need to drop bags.

I plan to get to the airport at 3ish (traffic permitting) so the timing works perfectly at T - 4.

Currently at the front of the cabin, same seat as the flight here and given the proximity to the galley I think I’d prefer one a few rows back. No other window seats available though so I think I’ll stick with it, especially given it’s not a late departure.

All of your replies have been really helpful, thanks all.
MartinJS likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by venderob3
It's recommended to check with Qatar Airways directly regarding the opening hours of their check-in desks and the possibility of operational upgrades. Regarding your online check-in issue, it's best to contact Qatar Airways or your booking agent for assistance.
Why does this read like AI wrote it?
SKT-DK and newEUer like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
That’s good to know thanks. I had to print them on the way out but strangely this time I got my 2 boarding passes on my phone and the app said I should proceed straight through to immigration if I don’t need to drop bags.

I plan to get to the airport at 3ish (traffic permitting) so the timing works perfectly at T - 4.

Currently at the front of the cabin, same seat as the flight here and given the proximity to the galley I think I’d prefer one a few rows back. No other window seats available though so I think I’ll stick with it, especially given it’s not a late departure.

All of your replies have been really helpful, thanks all.
Perhaps you would be kind enough to let us know how you got on, and what times the desk opened to help others who may visit this topic in the future 👍🏻
Old Feb 29, 2024, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Perhaps you would be kind enough to let us know how you got on, and what times the desk opened to help others who may visit this topic in the future 👍🏻
Sure. Arrived early at the airport as traffic was non-existent. Check-in desks were closed at 2:30pm as expected. There was a long line at the economy check-in area but no one behind the desks, however there were self check-in machines which I used. I had my digital BPs but as per someones comment above I thought I may as well print them. 11A on the upper deck of the A380, no other seats available in the cabin.

Was through security and arrived at the lounge at 3pm but had to wait until the 3:30 opening time. The airport itself was quite busy so imo I don't think there's any reason to get to BKK particularly early if you just want to get checked in and head straight to the lounge.

Food on offer was excellent, really enjoyed the surf and turf and I actually managed to meet a fellow FTer (first for me) who had read this thread

Flight departed from the satellite terminal, head out the lounge, take a left and down the escalators to the train which take you there. Boarding was announced in the lounge 1hr 20 mins before departure time. I left 5-10 minutes after and by the time I reached the gate I was able to immediately board the plane.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 7:07 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Sure. Arrived early at the airport as traffic was non-existent. Check-in desks were closed at 2:30pm as expected. There was a long line at the economy check-in area but no one behind the desks, however there were self check-in machines which I used. I had my digital BPs but as per someones comment above I thought I may as well print them. 11A on the upper deck of the A380, no other seats available in the cabin.

Was through security and arrived at the lounge at 3pm but had to wait until the 3:30 opening time. The airport itself was quite busy so imo I don't think there's any reason to get to BKK particularly early if you just want to get checked in and head straight to the lounge.

Food on offer was excellent, really enjoyed the surf and turf and I actually managed to meet a fellow FTer (first for me) who had read this thread

Flight departed from the satellite terminal, head out the lounge, take a left and down the escalators to the train which take you there. Boarding was announced in the lounge 1hr 20 mins before departure time. I left 5-10 minutes after and by the time I reached the gate I was able to immediately board the plane.
thanks for the update. useful info on check in and getting to satellite terminal. Do you have to take the train or can you work like @ T5 Heathrow?
Old Feb 29, 2024, 7:33 am
Original Poster

I didn't notice an option to walk, although someone else might know definitively. One thing I'd point out is it wasn't nearly as busy as the train in T5 can get, but maybe that's just anecdotal
celtic_warrior likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 10:48 am

didn't see any walking pathways last time and knowing thai ways of handeling things, even though there might be "a" tunnel (for emergencys) they will never allow you to use that one just for walking.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
Do you have to take the train or can you work like @ T5 Heathrow?
When it broke down a few days ago they were using buses so don't think there is an option to walk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.