Search

Weather related 12th Feb - re-routes?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2024 | 7:22 pm
Original Poster
5 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Weather related 12th Feb - re-routes?

Im due to fly DXB-DOH-OSL today on QR1003 and QR175.

QR1003 is already showing as arriving in DOH at 0745, with my connection on QR175 due to depart at 0820x

Im pretty sure that with the incoming QR1002 into DXB stacking due to the heavy storm ongoing in DXB will only make this worse.

I reached out to QR via the chat function online, only to be told they cannot proactively rebook at this stage as the arrival time is uncertain.

Im due to head from OSL to LHR later tonight on a separate ticket, so if I miss the DOH-OSL sector Im ok to just head on a DOH-LHR flight if they were to rebook me on such a sector.

What are the odds of QR agreeing to this? Id be happy to sign any waivers necessary about getting to OSL on my own dime and not claiming for compensation under EC261..
Old Feb 11, 2024 | 8:03 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: QR Plat
Chances of you being accomodated by QR to do something that isn't in their script is very low.

-A
Old Feb 11, 2024 | 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I doubt that they would do it ahead of time.
Once you get to DXB and sure that you miss your connection, or possibly in DOH, you should ask to be rerouted to LHR as they have several afternoon flights.
Foofighter69 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024 | 9:55 pm
Original Poster
5 Years on Site

Thanks.

Have rebooked for a DOH-OSL tomorrow but getting to DOH asap on the next flight. Will try when I get to Doha to get rerouted to LHR, Ive found that the QR gate staff at DXB are quite restricted in terms of what they can do apart from got to Doha and theyll sort you out. As an outstation it appears that they have very little power.

On the phone when I tried to reroute they had a chat about it and said anywhere within 500 miles is free of charge during a disruptive event. LHR is quite a bit further..
Old Feb 11, 2024 | 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Foofighter69
Thanks.

Have rebooked for a DOH-OSL tomorrow but getting to DOH asap on the next flight. Will try when I get to Doha to get rerouted to LHR, Ive found that the QR gate staff at DXB are quite restricted in terms of what they can do apart from got to Doha and theyll sort you out. As an outstation it appears that they have very little power.

On the phone when I tried to reroute they had a chat about it and said anywhere within 500 miles is free of charge during a disruptive event. LHR is quite a bit further..
There will probably be a QR employed station manager at DXB but the agents will be third party. If they are still using dnata, then they are effectively employed by Emirates.

The 500 mile rule is normal policy, but once at DOH you might be able to convince them to save on a hotel and meals by rerouting you today. Good luck!
Old Feb 11, 2024 | 11:02 pm
20 Years on Site

Thanks.
Have rebooked for a DOH-OSL tomorrow but getting to DOH asap on the next flight. Will try when I get to Doha to get rerouted to LHR, I’ve found that the QR gate staff at DXB are quite restricted in terms of what they can do apart from ‘got to Doha and they’ll sort you out’. As an outstation it appears that they have very little power.
Golden tip for irrops at outstations: always locate the QR staff, they usually bend rules if you are in biz and/or a platinum.

-A
Old Feb 11, 2024 | 11:39 pm
Original Poster
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
Golden tip for irrops at outstations: always locate the QR staff, they usually bend rules if you are in biz and/or a platinum.

-A
Thanks for the tip. I thought I was talking to the duty station manager but I clearly was talking to some of his team from QR. Have found him now, he seems to be responsive. Fingers crossed!
Old Feb 12, 2024 | 2:21 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold
my experience before C19: I once had a connecting flight DOH> HEL which was cancelled because of strike action in HEL.
Since I had a 24h layover in DOH i went directly to the airport and spoke to an actual person at the premium CI desk, and ask very kindly to rebook me to my (real final) destination BER. DOH>BER
After a moment of consideration they rebooked me directly to BER. I had to sign a form and promise with two different persons, that I would not hold QR responsible for ....... not loading my prebooked meal on the new flight. That seriously was their main concern.... But I was happy.
Old Feb 12, 2024 | 4:27 am
20 Years on Site

Thanks for the tip. I thought I was talking to the duty station manager but I clearly was talking to some of his team from QR. Have found him now, he seems to be responsive. Fingers crossed!
If there is not a QR uniform on you are very likely not talking to the QR staff. Usually the gr(e|a)y uniform, for seniority.

-A
Old Feb 12, 2024 | 4:32 am
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by nilsfr69
I had to sign a form and promise with two different persons, that I would not hold QR responsible for ....... not loading my prebooked meal on the new flight. That seriously was their main concern.... But I was happy.
Thread creep, but a similar story from back in the days of the old premium terminal. I was travelling ZZZ-DOH-NBO, but really needed to get to EBB. A junior staff was almost done with rerouting me from DOH-NBO to DOH-EBB because there were seats available, but got overruled and told to roll it back, as it was too late to ensure there was enough J meals onboard. I told them I'd sign anything to say I'd be on a diet for the duration, but not a chance in hell they were sending me off hungry.

-A
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024 | 5:02 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
DOH was a bit of a mess yesterday night and early morning- with a few diversions. It seems that the storm has moved to the UAE now.
Old Feb 12, 2024 | 5:21 am
Original Poster
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
If there is not a QR uniform on you are very likely not talking to the QR staff. Usually the gr(e|a)y uniform, for seniority.

-A
I was talking to uniformed people from QR in DXB. Frankly: useless, even the senior guy in the grey. Several empty promises to many and no result. I get that they were under pressure but theyre better off not making any promises instead of disappointing most.

I found a very helpful manager at the DOH transfer desk who got me sorted, had to make a call to someone who asked a few questions before authorising the last of the inventory (it was J1C1 and Y0 on QR5 to LHR, and -8 in Y, or so I overheard).

Very grateful.

Thanks for the tips on this thread, much appreciated. I have learnt very quickly what works and what doesnt thanks to this thread and some lived experience. A sticky / wiki might help? Happy to contribute, though I am only a beginner in this world of QR!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.