Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

NYC to Hong Kong in Business. Emirates or Qatar??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2024, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United

We (a couple) are traveling from NYC to Hong Kong in Business class this November with points, and facing a choice between Qatar and Emirates.Redemptions are similar with both. Considering Qatar doesn't offer Qsuites on the Doha to Hong Kong leg, is Emirates the smarter pick for a consistent Business class experience? Or is there an advantage with Qatar I'm overlooking?
Old Feb 4, 2024, 6:31 pm

I haven’t flown Emirates so can’t do the comparison for you, but have flown QR JFK-DOH-KUL a few times now. The thing to be aware is QR often has equipment swaps and your experience will vary depending on the seat config. I haven’t had the Q suites swap out from JFK-DOH but DOH-KUL has gone from Q suites to the dreaded 2-2-2 (777) and 1-2-1 suite “lite” (787). I generally am very pleased with QR other than if I get stuck with the 2-2-2 config. The FAs seem to go above and beyond more than any other airlines I’ve flown. I also like the new Al Mourjan North Garden. Food at the lounge and onboard is ok, not bad but not SQ quality.

Oh and I love their Diptique products. Some people complain that DOH inbound comes in a cardboard box (DOH outbound is in a leather or faux leather pouch).

Feels like you can’t go wrong with either but maybe some else can compare.
Gafnewyork likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:07 am

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
I’ve not flown DXB-HKG so I’m not familiar with the aircraft typically used, but if it’s a 777 (likely), the hard product will be inferior to QR. EKs 777s generally have a 2x3x2 configuration in business class with angled-flat seats. I’ve only flown F on EK, which is quite nice, but have seen the 777 business class and it looks very underwhelming. Were it me, I’d choose QR - even their old 777 business class cabin is 2x2x2 with much more space than EK. Onboard service levels are probably similar, but the business class lounges in Doha are nicer than EK’s in DXB.
Gafnewyork likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:42 am

I am not sure why anyone would consider EK over QR all things being equal.

EK - 2-3-2 seating if 777, 2-2-2 if 380. Lounges in DXB are worse in my view.
QR - if old QR 777 - 2-2-2 seating, if CX lease, 1-2-1 seating (Cirrus XL (now operating under a different name...) which on 777 is still my preferred seat choice).

Personally I find the QSuite good; I do not understand the excessive love for it on this forum (but I am also not a big fan of the door concept on any airline in C) and wouldn't let that affect my choice.

For me, EK is overhyped.
Gafnewyork, nancypants and toothy like this.

Last edited by dodgeflyer; Feb 5, 2024 at 5:08 am Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:45 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
QR any day for a consistent J experience. Ending up on an EK 777 with 2-3-2 would be the worst. Their F is better than QR, but J is the opposite way around (judging purely by the seat, as I have only flown F on EK and not J, but have experienced both on QR)
Gafnewyork and AJNEDC like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Here is the seat map for the QR DOH-KUL segment. 1-2-1 configuration which seems to be their old 777 non QSuite. Whereas both segments on EK will be on their A380.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 5:34 am

If 1-2-1, it is a CX-leased aircraft, which is the current seat used by Cathay (and American Airlines ao).
Gafnewyork likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 6:35 am

Programs: QR Gold/CX Silver/EK Silver/EY Gold/Spire Royal Ambassador/Hilton Diamond
QR hands down mate. Ive done both ek and qr many times and i would take qr everytime!!!!
AJNEDC and Gafnewyork like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:56 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
I am not sure why anyone would consider EK over QR all things being equal.

EK - 2-3-2 seating if 777, 2-2-2 if 380. Lounges in DXB are worse in my view.
QR - if old QR 777 - 2-2-2 seating, if CX lease, 1-2-1 seating (Cirrus XL (now operating under a different name...) which on 777 is still my preferred seat choice).

Personally I find the QSuite good; I do not understand the excessive love for it on this forum (but I am also not a big fan of the door concept on any airline in C) and wouldn't let that affect my choice.

For me, EK is overhyped.
obviously you never experienced the EK A380 as the seating is 1-2-1 in all the version (5) that use Emirates.
The wine list in J is similar to even better, but QR win for Champagne.
Gafnewyork likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
obviously you never experienced the EK A380 as the seating is 1-2-1 in all the version (5) that use Emirates.
The wine list in J is similar to even better, but QR win for Champagne.
That you’re right off but I know the seat (same as IB etc) and it isn’t great. Don’t think the wine stacks up, but regardless, comparing the two airlines across the 777 QR for the win, the 7-across on the EK 777 stacks up with El Al, Air India who’re both in the process of phasing those out.
Gafnewyork likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:47 pm

QR always gave me a feel-good experience in J, and the dine-on-demand service (with tasty food) makes a difference for me. EK J is overrated and the 777 seating is underwhelming. Transferring at DOH is far more pleasant than at DXB.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

The EK flights are both on their A380. Given the bar and snacks feature and the fact we’d prefer to spend a few days in Dubai on the way to HKG (versus Doha) and the non QSuite QR DOH-HKG, it’s feeling like EK will be the winner for this trip. Though QR is still on the wishlist for a future flight.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Transferring at DOH is far more pleasant than at DXB.
You must love the QR buses :-)
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:58 pm

Since someone mentioned transferring, it triggered me to remember that both times when I was transferring to my DOH-KUL flight (after flying in from JFK), J passengers were directed to a door that took us right back to the terminal. No additional screening/passport checks no nothing. It was so delightful. When I was flying back to JFK I did have to put my carry on through the machines again but I don’t know if it’s because there was no business only disembarking and we were mixed in with economy class because they didn’t open the front exit doors. Even so it was relatively painless and they also did have a special line for First and Business. I never did have to get on any busses
Old Feb 6, 2024, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
US-originating pax are considered "clean" from a security perspective and thus don't have to go through transfer security--this should apply to both J and Y pax, and it happens at airports around the world. KUL-originating pax are not considered "clean," hence the need to go through transfer security.
hardworking21 and suziemay like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.