Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Shipping wine as hold luggage - any thoughts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)

Mrs. M flying MAN-DOH-SIN shortly.

Will be bringing a case of wine back, single carboard box, wine in inflatable protectors as below. Anyone have any experience of putting a case of wine in as hold luggage?

Thanks.
Wine Bottle Protection
florin likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 8:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, Avis Presidents Club, Life Member VFW Post 10029
We have done it on Alaska Airlines many times from Seattle/ Washington/Oregon to Fairbanks. It was in the hold. Had to claim it in person with ID in Fairbanks, always arrived safe and sound. No experience on long haul/Qatar.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 2:38 am

Some airlines won’t accept wine as baggage no matter how well it’s packed and required it to be sent by a registered freight agent instead.

But QR seems to be fine with it based on their website, the only possible impact might be the 5lt restriction:

Alcoholic Beverages

You may carry alcoholic beverages in your hand and checked baggage. When in retail packaging, the beverages may contain more than 24% but not more than 70% alcohol by volume, in receptacles not exceeding 5l. The maximum total net quantity, of alcoholic beverages per passenger, is 5l. Alcoholic beverages with not more than 24% alcohol by volume, are not considered as dangerous goods by the applicable regulations.
KingCanute and florin like this.

Last edited by Kgmm77; Jan 2, 2024 at 2:50 am
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crazy Dave
We have done it on Alaska Airlines many times from Seattle/ Washington/Oregon to Fairbanks. It was in the hold. Had to claim it in person with ID in Fairbanks, always arrived safe and sound. No experience on long haul/Qatar.
Many thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Some airlines won’t accept wine as baggage no matter how well it’s packed and required it to be sent by a registered freight agent instead.

But QR seems to be fine with it based on their website, the only possible impact might be the 5lt restriction:

Alcoholic Beverages

You may carry alcoholic beverages in your hand and checked baggage. When in retail packaging, the beverages may contain more than 24% but not more than 70% alcohol by volume, in receptacles not exceeding 5l. The maximum total net quantity, of alcoholic beverages per passenger, is 5l. Alcoholic beverages with not more than 24% alcohol by volume, are not considered as dangerous goods by the applicable regulations.
I really appreciate this. I confess to feeling slightly ashamed I didn't find this myself/
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 10:26 am

We have checked a case of wine many times (not Qatar). We use cardboard shipping boxes that have styrofoam inserts for a case and the bottles always arrive intact.
Midships likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Have done it many many times on BA/Comair/Airlink and also on Qatar as through check from JNB and CPT to my final destinations.
Was never asked what was inside. Never offered it up either.
Special wine boxes with inserts used. Never had a single issue.
Midships and hardworking21 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Silver, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Those wine covers are really good. Have shipped a lot of wine home using these without issue. Also, typically wine is well below the minimum alcohol content to be considered DG and isn't really subject to any strict conditions by most airlines.
Midships likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 2:52 pm

Would have try BA to see how good they are.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 10:10 pm

Programs: BAEC
Have done several times with BA although I usually purchase and check in bag-in-box wine rather than bottles
Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:01 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
How will you deal with customs in SIN as duty free allowance for wine is only 1 litter per person ?
Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Also see:
Transit with alcohol
QR Layover and...wine
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Matt4
How will you deal with customs in SIN as duty free allowance for wine is only 1 litter per person ?
Pay the duty? (Won't be cheap)
Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by plunet
Pay the duty? (Won't be cheap)
It's not horrible pricing - more details here on the SG government website. Oh and using Option D, you can bring in 2L of wine duty exempt
plunet likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 9:04 am

I was expecting the duty to be more, but assuming 15% alcohol wine, it would be about SGD10 per bottle of 750ml.

for wine it seems to be
88SGD x Alcohol percentage x volume in litres

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.