Wiki Posts
Search

Discover Qatar hotel prices

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2023, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None
Discover Qatar hotel prices

Hi, for my upcoming QR trip (see pic; one single ticket bought directly from QR), I’d like to book a hotel at Doha for the layover night of Jan 2, 2024 at a discounted rate offered by “Discover Qatar”. According to their website, the nightly price of a 5-star (premium) hotel starts at USD 23 (QAR 85), but when I try to book, the lowest price I get is doubled (QAR 170). Albeit QAR 170 is still a decent price, I wonder why I’m not seeing QAR 85 in my choices.

Old Nov 9, 2023, 11:02 pm

There could be several explanations but the clue is most likely in the phrase "starts at"

The cheapest rooms may already be sold out. The cheaper hotels may not be offering rooms on those dates. And New Year may be a peak time with none of the cheapest rates made available in the first place
trooper and plunet like this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by rahman99000
Hi, for my upcoming QR trip (see pic; one single ticket bought directly from QR), I’d like to book a hotel at Doha for the layover night of Jan 2, 2024 at a discounted rate offered by “Discover Qatar”. According to their website, the nightly price of a 5-star (premium) hotel starts at USD 23 (QAR 85), but when I try to book, the lowest price I get is doubled (QAR 170). Albeit QAR 170 is still a decent price, I wonder why I’m not seeing QAR 85 in my choices.
QR plays around with per person rates and room rates. The QAR85 rate is per person.

A number of hotels have pulled out or restrict their capacity, and on top of that, QR has introduced tiers of pricing within categories.

The programme is looking shaky.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KingCanute
There could be several explanations but the clue is most likely in the phrase "starts at"

The cheapest rooms may already be sold out. The cheaper hotels may not be offering rooms on those dates. And New Year may be a peak time with none of the cheapest rates made available in the first place
Thanks for responding. However, your explanation is incorrect, as I get the same minimum price (QAR 170) from all hotels in the list and for all dates in 2023 or 2024.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
QR plays around with per person rates and room rates. The QAR85 rate is per person.

A number of hotels have pulled out or restrict their capacity, and on top of that, QR has introduced tiers of pricing within categories.

The programme is looking shaky.
Indeed. The rate of QAR 85 is per person, per night, based on a double occupancy, meaning they added another QAR 85 as the single supplement charge.

A few years ago (before COVID), I did get a stopover hotel at Doha from "Discover Qatar" but without the single supplement charge. The program has changed for sure and one must now read statements in their website like a lawyer.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by rahman99000
Thanks for responding. However, your explanation is incorrect, as I get the same minimum price (QAR 170) from all hotels in the list and for all dates in 2023 or 2024.
I find that there is some variation by date and within categories, but yes if you are looking to find the lowest possible price per person that rooms in each category are advertised as starting from, you do also need to be mindful of the number of people occupying the room. It does actually state this on the front page of the stopovers website:

*Rate mentioned is per person per night based on double occupancy on a 1 night stay

Fortunately IAN-UK has very helpfully summarised the minimum advertised room prices in a post on one of the several other threads started this week on this same subject:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35734007-post11.html

Last edited by KingCanute; Nov 11, 2023 at 9:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.