Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Latest meal serving time?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Latest meal serving time?

What is the latest Qatar serves meals on shorter (4 to 5 hours) overnight flights in J? For one of my upcoming flights I plan to go to sleep right away. Would they still be able to serve you a meal 1 hour before landing? I normally have the main meal shortly after takeoff.

What has your experience been like?
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
A full meal one hour before landing is cutting it too short.
Plane starts its descent about 30min before landing. Then FAs have to prepare the cabins and pax.
They also have to clean and prepare the galleys.

Forgot to mention: I once had a limited breakfast served an hour before landing but only cold items besides capuccino.

Last edited by brunos; Nov 1, 2023 at 7:41 am
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:36 am

Programs: QR PC, BA EC, KrisFlyer
I think this might depend on the timing of your flight. I had a relatively short overnight flight (just below 6 hours) arriving at my destination in the morning and I was able to request for 'express' breakfast given about an hour before landing, or the option of 'full' breakfast 2 hours before landing. Here's my 'express' breakfast which was mainly based on the tasting menu offered for late night with some items substituted with breakfast selections.

Carfield likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
A full meal one hour before landing is cutting it too short.
Plane starts its descent about 30min before landing. Then FAs have to prepare the cabins and pax.
They also have to clean and prepare the galleys.

Forgot to mention: I once had a limited breakfast served an hour before landing but only cold items besides capuccino.
Thanks for that. That makes total sense.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by billy.f
I think this might depend on the timing of your flight. I had a relatively short overnight flight (just below 6 hours) arriving at my destination in the morning and I was able to request for 'express' breakfast given about an hour before landing, or the option of 'full' breakfast 2 hours before landing. Here's my 'express' breakfast which was mainly based on the tasting menu offered for late night with some items substituted with breakfast selections.

Thanks for sharing that. That sheds a lot of light on things. Might end up having a solid meal earlier on in the flight and take a nap a little later.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Imo should be possible as I constantly fly doh-dxb scheduled flying time of 1:15 & they serve a pretty decent meal to the whole J cabin (a350)
shakespeare and dvs7310 like this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by shakespeare
Thanks for sharing that. That sheds a lot of light on things. Might end up having a solid meal earlier on in the flight and take a nap a little later.
On a short flight I'd be pretty happy with that actually if it disturbs my sleep as little as possible.

Will you not have any time to eat in the lounge before the flight? It's my preference by far, just eat before boarding then sleep until they force me to put my seat up. I'm well over trying to take maximum advantage of onboard service on overnight flights these days. I tend to prioritize sleep and eat if time still allows, assuming that I can get some decent food in the lounge before the flight.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by diamantaire
Imo should be possible as I constantly fly doh-dxb scheduled flying time of 1:15 & they serve a pretty decent meal to the whole J cabin (a350)
Yes but it would have to be an express style meal as pictured above.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
I think that 90 mins prior would be their cut off
Old Nov 1, 2023, 6:02 pm

Programs: QF WP
I woke up in a daze en route to Doha and was asked if I wanted something to eat, I asked for a meal. Unfortunately it was 40 minutes to landing. They did bring me something (afternoon tea if I recall correctly) but were not happy about it. I would have been keen for them to tell me no if it was cutting it fine
Old Nov 1, 2023, 8:09 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
A few months ago, I woke up less than an hour out of KUL and asked for a chai and water (and honestly wasn’t even expecting to get that), but the FA *insisted* I eat something and served me a tray with a youghurt and croissant (and of course, I snapped a pic). So it really depends on the crew.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 10:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, IHG Priority Club Platinum, SPG, Tufty Club
A few days ago we were on the DOH-AKL flight (in business class). We had asked for our final meal (in our case breakfast) to be served 2 hours before landing. This was noted and accepted.
About 3h45 before landing a flight attendant came by to say that the kitchen / galley was going to close in 45 minutes and 'would we like our meal now' so well over 3 hours before landing. I thought this strange with so long to go before landing, has anyone else had the same experience?
Other passengers were also served at the same time so I'm guessing they had the same message. Seemed strange that they accepted our initial request for breakfast 2 hours before landing but then told us it wasn't possible 12 hours later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.