Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Booking Qatar flight using Avios - confused.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2023, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!

I have looked at booking a return flight in Qatar Business cabin from LHR to Nairobi for June 2024. On the Qatar website it shows a redemption figure of 65,000 Avios each way (total 130,000 return). However, when going on to select flights it gives a redemption value of 130,000 each way, a total of 260,000. Can someone clarify this for me please? What am I doing wrong?
Old Sep 27, 2023, 2:21 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by higham44
I have looked at booking a return flight in Qatar Business cabin from LHR to Nairobi for June 2024. On the Qatar website it shows a redemption figure of 65,000 Avios each way (total 130,000 return). However, when going on to select flights it gives a redemption value of 130,000 each way, a total of 260,000. Can someone clarify this for me please? What am I doing wrong?
Actually most redemptions is double avios, unless you find some connection with 9h+ stop in Doha.
I will call that devaluation.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Yes, can certainly endorse comments by GalaxyChris here.

QR award inventory - at least where premium cabin seats are concerned - has been downscaled dramatically (across a whole variety of routes) in recent weeks ; and where there is availability, it is invariably being offered at the dreaded x 2 rate ……. which explains what higham44 found when attempting to book.

Standard (ie ‘normal’ rate) redemptions are becoming something of a rare species on the website. This is clearly a conscious policy change by QR management. and it remains to be seen whether a permanent - and most unwelcome - adjustment , or some sort of temporary aberration.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
I have found a similar thread on a Head for Points forum where others have discovered limited availability of redemption tickets and other seats being offered at x2 the Avios cost. I have now looked at using a 2-4-1 with BA on the route and have been quoted 90,000 + £450 taxes for a CW ticket - far more favourable.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by higham44
…………………. I have now looked at using a 2-4-1 with BA on the route and have been quoted 90,000 + £450 taxes for a CW ticket - far more favourable.
Yes indeed - far more favourable in terms of avios required

I guess the downside is that it means going with BA instead of QR.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by subject2load
Yes indeed - far more favourable in terms of avios required

I guess the downside is that it means going with BA instead of QR.
I can suffer that considering that the flight (currently) is on an A350 with CW Suites and I will be saving 170k Avios.
trooper and subject2load like this.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 1:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
You have to call to book it, but check availability on Rwandair (WB). Looks like it'd be 90,000 one way if the website is correct, seems like 2 awards are required, LHR-KGL @77,500 avios and KGL-NBO @12,500 avios. I don't know if there's any savings on the fees or not but £450 is a healthy chunk on your BA ticket.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv...artner-flight|

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.