Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar downgraded us to Iberia?!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2023, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Qatar downgraded us to Iberia?!

Qatar have put is a tricky position and I don’t know where else to turn.
We booked flights from Madrid to Manila ages ago for Jan 24.
Qatar just said that the Madrid to Doha leg will now be with Iberia at slightly different times.
So from the best business class to the worst…..!
If we want to cancel it’s 500 euros fee each.
If we want to change to a real Qatar flight later that day, it’s 500 euros each.
So we feel trapped.
Are they allowed to do this? It seems completely unfair.
No way would we have booked this if it’s with Iberia.
Can anyone offer any advice?!
Old Aug 2, 2023, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by cyclespeed
Qatar have put is a tricky position and I don’t know where else to turn.
We booked flights from Madrid to Manila ages ago for Jan 24.
Qatar just said that the Madrid to Doha leg will now be with Iberia at slightly different times.
So from the best business class to the worst…..!
If we want to cancel it’s 500 euros fee each.
If we want to change to a real Qatar flight later that day, it’s 500 euros each.
So we feel trapped.
Are they allowed to do this? It seems completely unfair.
No way would we have booked this if it’s with Iberia.
Can anyone offer any advice?!
Welcome to FT.
Normally if you booked Qsuite and you get moved to a non-Qsuite QR let you rebook Qsuite again for free, if provide more details around your original flights/times (cash/avios) etc and what youve been moved to people might be able to help more.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Welcome to FT.
Normally if you booked Qsuite and you get moved to a non-Qsuite QR let you rebook Qsuite again for free, if provide more details around your original flights/times (cash/avios) etc and what youve been moved to people might be able to help more.
Thanks. From Madrid to Doha was not Quite as it was in a 787-9. This is the leg that is being 'downgraded' to Iberia, who I have flown before and are awful.
The next leg, Doha to Manila has not changed (with Qatar in 777-300, I think Q Suite).
The Madrid flight times only changed by less than 15 minutes.
We paid cash in full for 'basic' Business class.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 8:31 am

Thanks. From Madrid to Doha was not Quite as it was in a 787-9. This is the leg that is being 'downgraded' to Iberia, who I have flown before and are awful.
The next leg, Doha to Manila has not changed (with Qatar in 777-300, I think Q Suite).
The Madrid flight times only changed by less than 15 minutes.
We paid cash in full for 'basic' Business class.
As before, share more flight details (flight numbers/times etc) and people might be able to help better.

I suspect you've been caught out by this - "Iberia will launch a flight to Doha from Madrid in December 2023, replacing one of the existing three daily Qatar Airways services"

https://www.headforpoints.com/2023/0...joint-venture/

Keep ringing until you find an agent that will put you back on QR metal.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by babyg_wc
As before, share more flight details (flight numbers/times etc) and people might be able to help better.

I suspect you've been caught out by this - "Iberia will launch a flight to Doha from Madrid in December 2023, replacing one of the existing three daily Qatar Airways services"

Keep ringing until you find an agent that will put you back on QR metal.
thanks. It’s qR 6949 on 3rd Jan at 0830h

You are correct, we are unlucky that we are being switched to Iberia both out and back.

the frustrating thing is that Qatar refuses to put us on one of the other two Qatar flights from Madid without a hefty fee.

very disappointing and unexpected from Qatar
Old Aug 2, 2023, 11:35 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum
thanks. It’s qR 6949 on 3rd Jan at 0830h

You are correct, we are unlucky that we are being switched to Iberia both out and back.

the frustrating thing is that Qatar refuses to put us on one of the other two Qatar flights from Madid without a hefty fee.

very disappointing and unexpected from Qatar
I am in the same situation as you. A change to another carrier qualifies for an involuntary change. They gave me an option to change to any other QR flight departing within +/- 3 days.
Im trying to see if they can change the outgoing from CDG instead of MAD. The first agent said no. Im going to call them again to see if the next one agrees.

Your best bet is to keep calling them at various times and to different numbers until they offer you something reasonable.
babyg_wc likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jgp777
I am in the same situation as you. A change to another carrier qualifies for an involuntary change. They gave me an option to change to any other QR flight departing within +/- 3 days.
Im trying to see if they can change the outgoing from CDG instead of MAD. The first agent said no. Im going to call them again to see if the next one agrees.

Your best bet is to keep calling them at various times and to different numbers until they offer you something reasonable.
very interesting thanks.
i was definitely not given that option on my first call so I will try again today.
iberia can be proven to be a cheaper, inferior product which is not what I paid for.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 11:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
very interesting thanks.
i was definitely not given that option on my first call so I will try again today.
iberia can be proven to be a cheaper, inferior product which is not what I paid for.
I would be tempted to wait a week or two before calling. When changes are made to schedules or operating carrier it usually takes a week or so for Qatar to issue a customer service policy to permit their agents to recognise the change as an involuntary change, and provide a specific remedy. If you call before the policy is in place you just hit a brick wall as the customer service agents have no flexibility other than working within the fare rules and policy provided.

In this case I would expect Qatar to issue a policy to offer for customers now on an IB operated flight a move to a QR operated flight at no cost. They did a similar policy when one of the HEL flights was changed to being operated by AY, you can search for the threads in the forum for info
otr271 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 7:57 am
formerly OliverS

You are also protected by the EU regulation around flight irregularities (EU 261 2004). Whilst QR is not an EU airline, when beginning a trip in Europe they also need to adhere to these rules. However, it may be a double edged sword in this case: When cancelling a flight (which they did, even if Iberia replaced it), they are obliged to put you on the next available flight. Normally it is the passenger who argues that this needs to even be on another airline (OAL), and the airline who tries to rebook the passenger on one of their own, later flights, since that tends to be cheaper for them.
In this case, it would be the opposite: You actually want to change the timing of the flight, even though that might lead to a less convenient flight time.

Regardless, you always have the option of asking for a complete refund (of the entire ticket), however, I assume that prices are higher now and this is not in your interest.

I like the suggestion above of waiting for a week in order to see if a policy will be issued.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 8:09 am

The OP described the change from QR to IB as "slightly different times". Qatar's own policy here is 2 hours, anything less than 2 hours is considered a minor change and is not an involuntary change. Whereas over 2 hours opens up access to their rebooking policy as an involuntary change.

Change from QR to IB is not generally considered within their existing policies an involuntary change - if you read your T&Cs Qatar along with almost every carrier makes no guarantee of what aircraft will operate a service.

Give them some time - Qatar never coordinate operational and schedule changes with customer services having an oven ready policy, there's always a lag of a good few days, and there's a previous example where they did exactly this at HEL and moved customers back to QR flights on request.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by plunet
The OP described the change from QR to IB as "slightly different times". Qatar's own policy here is 2 hours, anything less than 2 hours is considered a minor change and is not an involuntary change. Whereas over 2 hours opens up access to their rebooking policy as an involuntary change.

Change from QR to IB is not generally considered within their existing policies an involuntary change - if you read your T&Cs Qatar along with almost every carrier makes no guarantee of what aircraft will operate a service.

Give them some time - Qatar never coordinate operational and schedule changes with customer services having an oven ready policy, there's always a lag of a good few days, and there's a previous example where they did exactly this at HEL and moved customers back to QR flights on request.
OP's flight has been cancelled though, and they have been moved to a totally different airline with a differentf flight number. This isn't just an equipment swap.

EU261 rules would apply. I'm not a EU261 expert but reading the wording of it OP should be able to change back to a QR flight for free.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
OP's flight has been cancelled though, and they have been moved to a totally different airline with a differentf flight number. This isn't just an equipment swap.

EU261 rules would apply. I'm not a EU261 expert but reading the wording of it OP should be able to change back to a QR flight for free.
Agree with your diagnosis Schwann that its probably viewed as a cancellation in the eyes of 261, fair comment. Just give QR some time to get a policy in place and avoid the frustration.
Schwann likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 9:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
When your flight number or schedule got changed, there will be a message on your MMB to acknowledge the change. If you click on acknowledge the changes, you lose your chance of a free change. Not sure if OP acknowledged the change, but this could be the reason for change fee.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 10:48 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I had the same issue because of the IB change MAD-DOH but QR rebooked me onto the night flight and then F DOH-SYD the following day. This worked out ok with my personal schedule. I confirmed all digitally; no phone call.

I do consider IB J a downgrade. If I was the OP I would call and try again but because the morning flight is now IB, it will all come down to your personal schedule and the MNL connection options.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 6:07 am

You might find this helpful. https://www.qatarairways.com/tradepo...le-change.html

If it’s a new fight number, this is a cancelled flight and the schedule change policy applies.
A wild card option might be BCN if nothing works from/to MAD.
seanp7 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.