Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar newbie confused by Avios...please help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar newbie confused by Avios...please help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2023, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Question Qatar newbie confused by Avios...please help

I'm a bit confused by Avios/Qatar. We have Amex and Mastercard points which we can send to Qatar. Am I joining their Privilege Club (as per KrisFlyer with SIA) or do I need to join Avios, or both?
Looking at flying Sydney-Doha 2024 using points (hopefully first class!). Are seats released 11 months out as per other airlines? Do their points expire? (Sorry, I've tried searching the threads but nothing clear comes up) TIA
Old Jul 13, 2023, 11:51 pm

You join Qatar Airways Privilege Club where you can earn and spend Avios, which is their currency equivalent to KrisFlyer Miles.

You can do a dummy booking to determine seat release and it looks closer to a full year. At the moment I can see up to 9th July 2024. This is for general release and there is no guarantee that award seats will be released. Often you will find on popular routes and/or at peak times that no award seats will be released as QR realises they can be sold for cash which is much more preferable to them.

Avios do expire after three years, but any earning or spending re-starts the three year clock.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv...lessAvios.html
Old Jul 14, 2023, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Avios are the frequent flyer currency of QR Privilege Club ffp.
Avios are also used by BA, IB & IE. Each ffp has different rules. Subject to t&c's avios can be transferred between BA-IB-IE-QR-avios.com. BA forum has threads on transfer,

You can earn avios flying QF Qantas in Australia. Crediting as BA avois can be a lot better the QR Qatar avios. Some QF flights to QR avois are poor earners.
You can earn QR avios flying VA Virgin Australia in Australia. QR & VA are now ff partners.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 1:18 am
Original Poster

thanks

Originally Posted by ft101
You join Qatar Airways Privilege Club where you can earn and spend Avios, which is their currency equivalent to KrisFlyer Miles.

You can do a dummy booking to determine seat release and it looks closer to a full year. At the moment I can see up to 9th July 2024. This is for general release and there is no guarantee that award seats will be released. Often you will find on popular routes and/or at peak times that no award seats will be released as QR realises they can be sold for cash which is much more preferable to them.

Avios do expire after three years, but any earning or spending re-starts the three year clock.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv...lessAvios.html
Thanks so much
Old Jul 15, 2023, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Avios are the frequent flyer currency of QR Privilege Club ffp.
Avios are also used by BA, IB & IE. Each ffp has different rules. Subject to t&c's avios can be transferred between BA-IB-IE-QR-avios.com. BA forum has threads on transfer,

You can earn avios flying QF Qantas in Australia. Crediting as BA avois can be a lot better the QR Qatar avios. Some QF flights to QR avois are poor earners.
You can earn QR avios flying VA Virgin Australia in Australia. QR & VA are now ff partners.
Thanks...All our points are in MasterCard and Amex so I'd be transferring to Avios from there - I presume I can do that?. (Side note: I'll never fly Qantas again unless I absolutely have to now it's been ruined by that Irishman).
Old Jul 15, 2023, 3:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by melmike
Thanks...All our points are in MasterCard and Amex so I'd be transferring to Avios from there - I presume I can do that?. (Side note: I'll never fly Qantas again unless I absolutely have to now it's been ruined by that Irishman).
You didn't specify which Mastercard and which country's Amex. Amex Membership Rewards is a bit different in each Amex issuing country. But on both cards, if QR, BA, or IB are transfer partners then you're golden. They all share Avios as a common currency and you can shift the points between them quite easily.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Oh, sorry, I'm in Australia, and yes, QR are transfer partners with both cards. So I'm assuming it's a similar process as KrisFlyer then, which I'm very familiar with. I realise it's hard to gauge how long it takes to transfer points, but with Amex to KrisFlyer they say up to 2 day but in fact it's often about one hour and then the points are in KrisFlyer. Is that the same with transferring to Avios/Qatar? Thanks
Old Jul 16, 2023, 7:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
As a side note, I checked with AA and I got a better offer booking through American miles than moving to Avois but, of course, YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.